Holy Days and Rosary Mysteries

Do you change the mysteries of the Rosary to fit holy days? For instance, one normally says the sorrowful mysteries on Tuesday. This year Christmas is on Tuesday. Would you say the joyful mysteries since it is Christmas?

I believe you can alter the calendar to "harmonize" with that particular day. So on Christmas you can pray the joyful mysteries with no issue. In the same way, you can also pray the joyful mysteries on the Epiphany since that would make sense.

The Glorious Mysteries are prayed now on Sundays, then, Joyful Mysteries are prayed on Sundays of Advent, beginning Dec. 2 - Dec. 23.

Back to the Glorious Mysteries on Dec. 30.

Then, the Joyful Mysteries again from Epiphany (Jan 6, 2013) to Lent (Feb. 13, 2013).

The Sorrowful Mysteries are from Feb. 17, 2013 to Easter, March 31, 2013.

The Glorious Mysteries from April 6, 2013, to Dec. 1, 2013 (Advent).

I lead the Rosary for our parish at 11 AM Mass.

The changes only happen on Sunday for the Holy season. I hope this helps. Though, I imagine, you can alter to suit your own particular prayerful conscience.

The Rosary is a private devotion, not liturgical and is therefore not governed by any rules. You are free to pray any set of mysteries any day, not just on holy days.

[quote="asia53, post:3, topic:305676"]
The Glorious Mysteries are prayed now on Sundays, then, Joyful Mysteries are prayed on Sundays of Advent, beginning Dec. 2 - Dec. 23.

Back to the Glorious Mysteries on Dec. 30.

Then, the Joyful Mysteries again from Epiphany (Jan 6, 2013) to Lent (Feb. 13, 2013).

The Sorrowful Mysteries are from Feb. 17, 2013 to Easter, March 31, 2013.

The Glorious Mysteries from April 6, 2013, to Dec. 1, 2013 (Advent).

I lead the Rosary for our parish at 11 AM Mass.

The changes only happen on Sunday for the Holy season. I hope this helps. Though, I imagine, you can alter to suit your own particular prayerful conscience.

[/quote]

The question isn't regarding Sundays during the different seasons. The question comes where it's Christmas Day and it's Tuesday, praying the Sorrowful Mysteries on Christmas Day just doesn't seem right. As said in the post prior to mine, it's not governed by any real rules, so there's no reason not to harmonize the mysteries with particular holy days.

[quote="GangGreen, post:5, topic:305676"]
The question isn't regarding Sundays during the different seasons. The question comes where it's Christmas Day and it's Tuesday, praying the Sorrowful Mysteries on Christmas Day just doesn't seem right. As said in the post prior to mine, it's not governed by any real rules, so there's no reason not to harmonize the mysteries with particular holy days.

[/quote]

Right, so that's why I wrote in my post above----"Though, I imagine, you can alter to suit your own particular prayerful conscience."

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful replies. No sorrowful mysteries on Christmas then.

[quote="porthos11, post:4, topic:305676"]
The Rosary is a private devotion, not liturgical and is therefore not governed by any rules. You are free to pray any set of mysteries any day, not just on holy days.

[/quote]

This is the correct answer. Because the rosary is often prayed by groups (confraternities, etc.) traditions have grown up around when to pray certain mysteries and some of the additional prayers (Hail, Holy Queen, etc.), but in fact each person can set their own schedules for the mysteries and can include additional prayers or not as they choose.

Today was the Feast of Mary's Presentation ... and a Wednesday. I suppose the joyful mysteries could have been prayed for this occasion, but I did the glorious, due to the day of the week.

I like the posts that reminded us we are free to exercise our own devotional leanings, since prayer is such a personal matter of the heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.