Holy Days of Obligation in Canada

What are the holy days of obligation in Canada? I have seen lists for the USA, but I read somewhere that it is different for Canada... :confused:

Also, can someone kindly explain to me why there are different holy days of obligation for different countries; i.e., why is the Assumption a holy day of obligation in the USA but not in Canada?

Thanks in advance, and God bless!

The HDO for Canada (in addition to every Sunday of course) are Christmas (December 1st) and Mary, Mother of God (January 1st).

Why a different list of days? :shrug:

I do know that we have Mary, Mother of God (Jan. 1) because the Quebec bishop's requested it (because it was apparently a French-Canadian tradition to go to Church on New Years. Probably not anymore).

[quote="CruceSignati, post:1, topic:336343"]
What are the holy days of obligation in Canada? I have seen lists for the USA, but I read somewhere that it is different for Canada... :confused:

Also, can someone kindly explain to me why there are different holy days of obligation for different countries; i.e., why is the Assumption a holy day of obligation in the USA but not in Canada?

Thanks in advance, and God bless!

[/quote]

Canon Law establishes the HDOs but allows Bishops Conferences to abrogate and/or transfer some. The CCCB transferred some (Epiphany & Ascension) abrogated Assumption and Immaculate Conception and retained Nativity of The Lord & Mary Mother of God.

[quote="CruceSignati, post:1, topic:336343"]

[/quote]

The Holy See, i.e. Rome, determines the holy days of obligation (HODs).

The current HODs are:

1. All Sundays
  2. Ten holy days with the rank of solemnity called solemnities of precept.

The ten solemnities of precept are:

In honour of Our Lord
1. Nativity of the Lord
2. Epiphany
3. Ascension
4. Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi)

In honour of Our Lady
5. Mary, Mother of God
6. Assumption
7. Immaculate Conception

In honour of Saints
8. St Joseph
9. Sts Peter & Paul
10. All Saints

Bishops' conferences can remove the precept from these solemnities and then they cease to be HODs. Their decisions must be confirmed by Rome. Rome does ask that all keep the Nativity and one day in honour of Our Lady as HODs.

If a bishops' conference removes the precept from Epiphany, Ascension or Corpus Christi they must be permanently transferred to a Sunday.

In England & Wales, our bishops have removed the precept from Epiphany, Ascension, Corpus Christi, Mary, Mother of God, Immaculate Conception and St Joseph. So, our HODs, in addition to Sundays, are Nativity, Assumption, Sts Peter & Paul and Assumption.

Rome also allows other particular arrangements. For example, the English & Welsh bishops, with Rome's approval, have decreed that if Assumption, Sts Peter & Paul or All Saints fall on a Saturday or Monday the solemnity is transferred to the neighbouring Sunday to avoid two HODs on two consecutive days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.