holy days of obligation

How does the catholic teaching on holy days of obligation not contradict the insistence if being freed from elementary principles of the world?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Could you give more detail.

Galatians 4:8-11 ESV

Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? You observe days and months and seasons and years! I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.

Having the spirit frees us from any other obligations besides christ it seems

In order to be considered a faithful member of your church, are you expected to be there every Sunday?

I believe I am obeying and honoring Christ by obeying the Church’s decision to glorify Our Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done for us by the “holy days of obligation.”

I consider it a privilege to attend Mass for these reasons.

The whole concept of “obligation” drives me crazy’ whether taking the precept of obligation to attend Mass every Sunday, or Holy Days of Obligation.

If we attend Mass excercising obligation instead of priviledge, we attend for the wrong purpose, and in a sense are guilty of what Christ chastised the Pharisees for!

Peace and all good!

Is it not a privilege that we are so obligated as Catholics?

Peace!

Hebrews 10:26 says to not forsake the assembling of ourselves. The lords day is for our lord Jesus, no one else. The church cannot make new decisions which are binding in wmuch transgression is available if that doctrine they are enforcing does not come from the apostles.

Even if the catholic church is the true church they are wrong on this

[quote="ByzCathCantor, post:4, topic:297343"]
In order to be considered a faithful member of your church, are you expected to be there every Sunday?

[/quote]

Care to answer this question?

This contradicts

Galatians 4:8-11 ESV

Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? You observe days and months and seasons and years! I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.

That is it contradict, if as you have done, when you take them out of context.

I can’t help but chuckle when someone posts this.

Basically you are saying, I am protestant and I don’t believe what the Catholic Church teaches.

Yes, we know. If you believed what the Catholic Church taught, you would be Catholic. :shrug:

Matthew 16:19 “I will entrust to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you declare bound on earth shall be bound in heaven; whatever you declafre loosed on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

So why is it that when peter decided that it was wrong for him to eat unclean animals in his vision that this decree was not bound in heaven? Its not a license to do whatever we want

Me too.

LOVE this response! :thumbsup:

How does the catholic teaching on holy days of obligation not contradict the insistence if being freed from elementary principles of the world?

Isn't this a re-post of this question:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=708064

Not every word that Peter uttered was meant to be binding on the faithful. It’s clear in scripture when Peter is making decisions that impact the Church.

Either way the function for binding and loosing are given to the church, the diocese of the church. Otherwise two or three going to the universal church is absurd and impractical. The pope does not have the Authority to make up doctrine, that would hinder the apostllicity of the church h

The vision was an inspiration from God telling Peter that he should accept non-Jews. A decision confirmed at the council in Jerusalem. What you are stating actually proves that what Peter declared was true. We call in infallibility.

I think you better start studying what we believe because you do not know. Instead of coming with accusations come with ears to listen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.