Holy Days of Obligation

As I understand it, attending the Saturday evening Mass fulfills the Sunday obligation.
I have been attending Mass at a hospital, mostly on Saturday evenings, which I have been enjoying for various reasons.
There is no singing; that seems to be the only difference, but then, I do not know all there is to know about Mass, yet, either.
Does this attendance fulfill the obligation?
I really enjoy the homilies of these priests, also.
Thank you!!

Yes. Why are you in doubt?

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:315039"]
Yes. Why are you in doubt?

[/quote]

Wow, that was fast; thank you.
Because I didn't know; I am a non Catholic who has no immediate hope of getting into RCIA, despite the desire.
So I really appreciate your speedy answer. I would want to continue there as well as the Church I join, if ever this happens.
I am learning as much as possible while waiting!
Thank you.

The Saturday Vigil Mass is correctly called the Sunday Vigil Mass...just like the most solemn Mass celebrated in the Liturgical Year is the Easter Vigil Mass...usually beginning anywhere from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM...it is not called the Holy Saturday Vigil...but Easter Vigil Mass...even though it is still Holy Saturday.

Prayers and Blessings for your journey of faith into the Catholic Church.

Pax Christi

A ZENIT DAILY DISPATCH

Saturday Mass for Sunday

ROME, 21 OCT. 2008 (ZENIT)
Answered by Legionary of Christ Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum university.

Q: We know that the Sunday Mass is very important. **We know too that the Saturday evening Mass is the Sunday **Mass. But what are the criteria to know exactly that it is the Mass of Sunday? It is the hour? It is the readings? Many Catholics who go to a marriage on a Saturday afternoon don't go to the Mass on Sunday. They think they have already gone to Mass. What does the Church say exactly about the Saturday evening Mass? — J.G., Arras, France

A: The norms permitting the celebration of Sunday Mass on a Saturday evening are not overly detailed and thus different practices and notions have arisen around the world.

Even though this practice is relatively recent with respect to the Sunday Mass, the Church had long maintained the custom of beginning the celebration of important feasts the evening before, with first vespers. This was inspired by the concept of a day in the ancient world which divided our 24 hours into four nocturnal vigils and four daylight hours, the day commencing at first vigil.

ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur242.htm

Thank you for the information!

...no immediate hope of getting into RCIA, despite the desire.

Don't give up. It may be possible for you to take "private lessons," so to speak. Consult your parish.

Praying for you,

[quote="Ruthie_again, post:6, topic:315039"]
Don't give up. It may be possible for you to take "private lessons," so to speak. Consult your parish.

Praying for you,

[/quote]

thank you! It's the parish that is the problem. I unexpectedly mentioned my issue to the priest of the day at the hospital; he actually chuckled when I mentioned which Church.
"They are so disorganized." I agreed that they must be since my first inquiry was in November...
Ha! Well, at least it isn't me.

Don’t give up, try another parish if necessary!

[quote="thomasf, post:8, topic:315039"]
Don't give up, try another parish if necessary!

[/quote]

My fantasy is one on the west side.
By about 3000 miles.
Thanks for the encouragement. :)

[quote="cheezey, post:1, topic:315039"]
As I understand it, attending the Saturday evening Mass fulfills the Sunday obligation.
I have been attending Mass at a hospital, mostly on Saturday evenings, which I have been enjoying for various reasons.
There is no singing; that seems to be the only difference, but then, I do not know all there is to know about Mass, yet, either.
Does this attendance fulfill the obligation?
I really enjoy the homilies of these priests, also.
Thank you!!

[/quote]

Yes, if it was intended to fulfill the Sunday obligation, but I see no reason why it is not.

Most likely, this mass is held for those who hospital staff who otherwise would miss going on Sunday due to work schedule.

[quote="Lancer, post:4, topic:315039"]
The Saturday Vigil Mass is correctly called the Sunday Vigil Mass...just like the most solemn Mass celebrated in the Liturgical Year is the Easter Vigil Mass...usually beginning anywhere from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM...it is not called the Holy Saturday Vigil...but Easter Vigil Mass...even though it is still Holy Saturday.

Prayers and Blessings for your journey of faith into the Catholic Church.

Pax Christi
ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur242.htm

[/quote]

Actually it's simply called the Sunday Mass.

A vigil Mass is a special Mass on the eve of a feast. It is different from the Mass of the Feast itself. There are only 7 such Vigil Masses throughout the liturgical year and they precede Christmas, Epiphany (newly added with the 3rd edition of the Roman Missal), Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and the Feast of Ss. Peter & Paul.

Probably, yet I discovered many people come as if it is their Church. I might understand why: the priests are wonderful and their homilies just as good and better!! Wednesday was touching and, I don’t know, it was like being at ‘my’ church. It just might be. Thank you for the information!!!

[quote="cheezey, post:12, topic:315039"]
Probably, yet I discovered many people come as if it is their Church. I might understand why: the priests are wonderful and their homilies just as good and better!! Wednesday was touching and, I don't know, it was like being at 'my' church. It just might be. Thank you for the information!!!

[/quote]

Well, you can attend it, but it can't be "your" church as if it were a parish. Hospital chapels don't record marriages, baptisms, confirmations, etc., and you can't receive these Sacraments normally there. They do not function as a parish. You need to find a join a parish--and become active in it.

Hopefully, you will be able to attend RCIA soon.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:13, topic:315039"]
Well, you can attend it, but it can't be "your" church as if it were a parish. Hospital chapels don't record marriages, baptisms, confirmations, etc., and you can't receive these Sacraments normally there. They do not function as a parish. You need to find a join a parish--and become active in it.

Hopefully, you will be able to attend RCIA soon.

[/quote]

Oh I know I'll need a parish; got one!! I just like the priests and the homilies at the hospital, thus, Saturday at the Hospital, Sunday at the church...Besides, it was the priest at the hospital who got someone to finally return my call for RCIA, though, of course, it was too late for 'soon.'
thank you!!!:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.