Holy Eucharist, Purgatory and hope of Heaven

If a person cannot receive Holy Eucharist due to not being in a state of grace, because of continuing some sin, or some other reason, can that person ever go to Heaven? How can we know if there is still hope if they die in this state?

If it is a situation where a Catholic is living in an invalid marriage, then confession alone cannot alter the situation, is that correct? So, what will happen to the Catholic person continuing to live in an invalid marriage? Does the Church teach that Purgatory is their temporary punishment, then perhaps a chance of Heaven? :harp:

And what about Catholics who stop attending Mass for long periods without going to confession? What happens if they continue this way? Does the Church teach that they go to Purgatory, but with a hope of Heaven? Do most people spend some time in Purgatory? Does the Church have guidelines or statements about which sins will allow a hope of Heaven and others sins that will not allow this hope? :heaven:

Also, is not being able to receive Holy Eucharist due to some of these reasons, is that alone something that will keep one from Heaven?:blush: I'm wondering about this also, because I thought it interesting as a relatively new Convert, that there is just the Easter requirement for receiving Holy Eucharist, preceded by confession. when I would think if people were required to receive Holy Eucharist more often, they would also be required to receive the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation, which is so good for the soul.

Thank you for any help on Official Church teachings on these. Basically, I'm wondering about a Catholic who may not be able to change his or her situation or isn't attending Mass because they might feel that since they cannot receive Holy Eucharist, that there is not hope of Heaven. If I am incorrect on any of this, I thank you for your patience and look forward to seeing if anyone can shed some light on these questions using Church doctrine if possible.:highprayer:

God has bound salvation to His sacraments, but God Himself is not bound by his sacraments.

When someone dies in a state of mortal sin they indeed go to eternal punishment. However, we have to be very careful here and remember the infinite mercy of God and the opportunities presented for final penitence and perfect contrition at the point of death. It would be very hard for a faithfully practicing Catholic to be condemned eternally because he would have the good habits and intention of confessing as soon as possible. Even in a state of mortal sin, and refraining from the Eucharist, he would not be far from salvation.

Couples living together in an invalid marriage are committing the sin of adultery unless they are living as brother and sister. It is usually recommended to these couples to separate, or if not possible, to live as brother and sister until their marriage can be regularized. Such people have a spiritual obligation to rid themselves of this sin and not remain outside of grace for longer than necessary. There are admittedly a few hard cases where it is not possible to regularize a marriage and the couple has many difficulties ahead of them for acceptance back to the sacraments, but on the other hand, there are many, many cases where marriages can be easily regularized with just a little paperwork and effort, and both parties can return to good standing in the Church.

If a Catholic stops going to Mass, then that Catholic falls into a state of mortal sin. He is not destined for Purgatory but for Hell. Purgatory is for those who have died in a state of grace but must still undergo temporal punishment for sins already committed. Partial or plenary indulgences can remit this temporal punishment so it is highly recommended for Catholics to gain them where possible.

It should be noted that frequent reception of the Eucharist protects us from all sin. It has a medicinal and preventive effect on us. The benefits of frequent reception cannot be overstated. It is also commendable to participate in Confession frequently. I try to go once a month. I know a few of the faithful who attend every week. It is necessary to have a recent Confession in order to gain a plenary indulgence. It is commendable to go to Confession and unburden yourself of just venial sins if you have not committed any mortal sins lately. This is a healing sacrament and it should be offered and received frequently!

You are talking about the difference between mortal and venial sin. God is always ready to forgive us our sins. We always have a hope of heaven and should never despair.

I’m wondering about a Catholic who may not be able to change his or her situation or isn’t attending Mass because they might feel that since they cannot receive Holy Eucharist, that there is not hope of Heaven.

All of us can enter a state of grace. Never despair.

Purgatory is a place where souls who have been judged and saved (they are told they are going to heaven ) go if their soul needs cleaning before entering heaven, its not a last chance saloon for 2nd chances, all souls in purgatory go to heaven

If someone cant receive holy communion then they may say the spiritual communion prayer even if they are in a state of mortal sin, it is said to bring the same kind of graces as receiving holy communion

If you cant receive absolution in confession e.g the invalid marriage you mentioned, then praying an act of perfect contrition using an act of contrition will restore you to the state of grace again as long as you confess and get absolution again the soonest you are able

Click on the 2 links in my signature, it will explain more about the souls in purgatory and may help you understand it better

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.