Oh I need your help this time,
Get me through this lonely night.
Tell me please which way to turn
To find myself again.

Holy mother, hear my prayer,
Somehow I know you're still there.
Send me please some peace of mind;
Take away this pain.

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait any longer.
I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait for you.

Holy mother, hear my cry,
I've cursed your name a thousand times.
I've felt the anger running through my soul;
All I need is a hand to hold.

Oh I feel the end has come,
No longer my legs will run.
You know I would rather be
In your arms tonight.

When my hands no longer play,
My voice is still, I fade away.
Holy mother, then I'll be
Lying in, safe within your arms.

Beautiful, thank you for sharing it!

Miz

This is good,but I like the Clapton and friends .

Wow. I never knew Clapton wrote anything like this. It's beautiful. Though I agree with wardrandolph, the Clapton & Friends version is better.

This is probably my favorite song now....at least way up on the list.

Yes, it leaves me speechless too! What sort of guitar-strumming populist bilge is this?
Do you actually like these bolded lyrics? Do you think it’s okay to sing these words?
And please spare me the “context” argument. I’ve heard it ad nauseum and it doesen’t make sense. The reason? Because there are a multitude of ways in which to rightly venerate Our Lady. Not this downright disrespectful way.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

How is it disrespectful to admit that someone has a fallen nature and is not perfect? Are we to always go around saying we are perfect little angels? This speaks of someone’s pain and anguish, and how they have turned away from goodness and now wish to be in Her arms. How is this in any way disrespectful? :shrug:

I do not see this song as so much of a veneration of Our Lady as it is a song about how we sin and start over again, and always pray to end up holy and in Her arms in the end.

~Liza

[quote="colmcille1, post:5, topic:211590"]
And please spare me...

[/quote]

Consider yourself "spared".

[quote="lizaanne, post:6, topic:211590"]
How is it disrespectful to admit that someone has a fallen nature and is not perfect? Are we to always go around saying we are perfect little angels? This speaks of someone's pain and anguish, and how they have turned away from goodness and now wish to be in Her arms. How is this in any way disrespectful? :shrug:

I do not see this song as so much of a veneration of Our Lady as it is a song about how we sin and start over again, and always pray to end up holy and in Her arms in the end.

~Liza

[/quote]

It is disrespectful because it is putting the singer's viewpoint forward as worthy of consideration.
If you are a true Catholic you know that you are far from being a "perfect little angel(s)".
If he wishes to truly speak of his journey, he should not, out of respect, include these words.
Do you think we should include these words in the Angelic Salutation? Of course not!
The reason being is that we know that we are sinners with all our faults and failings our "pain and anguish" but we do not include this in the distillation of our thoughts.
If it is not an attempted veneration of Our Lady, why has he chosen to call the song Holy Mother?
No, this is the sort of disrespectful gunk we should avoid like the plague.
(I think, moreover, I sense more than a whiff of the emperor's new clothes here: "Oh, it's Clapton, it must be good".)
God Bless,
Colmcille.

[quote="colmcille1, post:8, topic:211590"]
It is disrespectful because it is putting the singer's viewpoint forward as worthy of consideration.

[/quote]

Since when does an artist not do this? :ehh:

If you are a true Catholic you know that you are far from being a "perfect little angel(s)".
If he wishes to truly speak of his journey, he should not, out of respect, include these words.

So when "true Catholics" pray, they don't talk about how bad they've been? They just use sterile and "holy" perfect words? I don't think so.

Do you think we should include these words in the Angelic Salutation? Of course not!

Well - that's not what this is. It is a song about a man's suffering and sinfulness, and longing to be with his Holy Mother.

The reason being is that we know that we are sinners with all our faults and failings our "pain and anguish" but we do not include this in the distillation of our thoughts.

Since when!!?? I tell God all the time how I've screwed up, how horribly I've acted, and how I feel badly about it. Do you honestly believe that God, and His Mother, don't already know this? Surely it's no surprise to them!

If it is not an attempted veneration of Our Lady, why has he chosen to call the song Holy Mother?

Because artists often use titles that describe the content of their work. :doh2:

No, this is the sort of disrespectful gunk we should avoid like the plague.

I don't see how a man artistically expressing his anguish over sin, and a longing to be in heaven, can be considered "disrespectful gunk". Just because YOU don't like the music or lyrics or artist does not make it "disrespectful gunk". It only makes it not to your liking. What is disrespectful is telling other people they are BEING disrespectful for liking this sort of thing.

(I think, moreover, I sense more than a whiff of the emperor's new clothes here: "Oh, it's Clapton, it must be good".)

Oh hardly. :rolleyes: I'm not a huge Clapton fan, and personally I'm not even crazy about the song. But I feel very strongly that you don't just go around labeling someone else's artistic expression of their faith, that is CLEARLY not disrespectful "gunk" and "populist bilge". That is just downright insulting. And whether or not I happen to like the thing, I will always stand up for what is right. And being nasty is NEVER right. :mad:

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:9, topic:211590"]
Since when does an artist not do this? :ehh:

Hi lizaanne,
Thank you for your reply.
An artist should know not to put his personal experience as testimony when said experience has the potential to offend. I am offended by this singer's stance and I will defend my right to say so.

So when "true Catholics" pray, they don't talk about how bad they've been? They just use sterile and "holy" perfect words? I don't think so.

When Catholics pray, it is a private act of praise and contrition. They do not get up on a stage in front of thousands.

Well - that's not what this is. It is a song about a man's suffering and sinfulness, and longing to be with his Holy Mother.

Why did he include these offensive words? Mother Mary is without sin. He ought to know that.

Since when!!?? I tell God all the time how I've screwed up, how horribly I've acted, and how I feel badly about it. Do you honestly believe that God, and His Mother, don't already know this? Surely it's no surprise to them!

Again, this is done in the privacy of the soul's speech.

Because artists often use titles that describe the content of their work. :doh2:

Then this singer has utterly mistitled his song.
I don't see how a man artistically expressing his anguish over sin, and a longing to be in heaven, can be considered "disrespectful gunk". Just because YOU don't like the music or lyrics or artist does not make it "disrespectful gunk". It only makes it not to your liking. What is disrespectful is telling other people they are BEING disrespectful for liking this sort of thing.

This has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes viz musical expression.
It's interesting, but would you put the same question to Mr. Clapton? What gives him the right to disrespect my Faith in this way? And, with all due respect, if you cannot see that this song is disrespectful then nothing I say will convince you. You will have to find that out for yourself.

Oh hardly. :rolleyes: I'm not a huge Clapton fan, and personally I'm not even crazy about the song. But I feel very strongly that you don't just go around labeling someone else's artistic expression of their faith, that is CLEARLY not disrespectful "gunk" and "populist bilge". That is just downright insulting. And whether or not I happen to like the thing, I will always stand up for what is right. And being nasty is NEVER right. :mad:

~Liza

[/quote]

It is NOT insulting. It is stating it like it is. Far from being an "artistic expression of their faith", this is a muddled piece of disrespectful tripe.
If it is true for him, then he hasn't a bog's notion of what Faith is. Indeed, the fact that he titled the song the way he did amply demonstrates this. This is a musical version of moral relativism.
I am not "nasty". I am offended. This song is the quintessence of nastiness; it mocks Our Lady and pretends to be "an... expression of faith"!!!?
God Bless,
Colmcille.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.