Holy Name of Jesus and Jan 31?

I was reading about the optional memorial in honor of the Holy Name of Jesus (it was today in the modern calender) when I found out that some orders and groups celebrate it on different days and one of the dates was Jan 31. However, all I could find was the phrase “at Liege, 31 Jan”.

Does anyone know anything else about who is celebrating the Memorial in Honor of the Hol Name at the very end of the month?

I’m not familiar with the later date, but your post reminded me of the differences I experience at the OF.
In my personal devotions I follow my Marian Missal (Latin). When I can get to the nearest EF we always follow the old calendar.
The Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus falls on the Sunday after the Circumcision, ie the Sunday after January 1st.

I love the unity of the Catholic Church, but we do seem to have quite a number of differences between countries, forms of Mass, different Rites, and different rules for some orders. :shrug:

No one does so anymore.

The Feast of the Holy Name had a variety of dates but eventually from the 17th century or so crystallized into various dates in January** - the most popular being January 14, 31st or the Second Sunday after the Epiphany.

However, in 1913, Pius X fixed it for the Second Sunday after Christmas/Jan 2 to bring it closer to the January 1, and thus link it with the Circumcision (which would have included the conferral of the Name). Almost all the local calendars followed suit as demanded by the new rules for Proper Calendars.

When the feast was removed from the Universal Calendar in 1969/70, there were two courses of action taken by those who retained it in their local calendars.

1. Either it was commemorated on January 1 with the Mother of God - this action was taken by the Jesuits, and was encouraged by the new commentary on the calendar which stated that the OT reading and the Gospel suggested it.

2. The feast was suggested/placed on January 3. This was followed, for example, by the Franciscans and Dominicans.

Currently, while the Jesuits do follow the Universal Calendar and thus have an optional memorial on the 3rd, their Proper Calendar still remembers the conferral of the Name on the 1st, which is their patronal feast.

** I’m speaking of the main feast not the various subfeasts that were in some places before 1913 such as Glorification of the Name, Triumph of the Name, etc., etc.

In parts of England and Scotland, the feast was celebrated on 7 August.

newadvent.org/cathen/07420a.htm

No one does so anymore.

True enough, but does anyone know who did?

Do you have access to a library? There is a good book on the subject, very comprehensive, called “Calendarium liturgicum festorum Dei et Dei Matris Mariae”. If you don’t and can wait a few days, I can look it up for you.

Do you have access to a library? There is a good book on the subject, very comprehensive, called “Calendarium liturgicum festorum Dei et Dei Matris Mariae”. If you don’t and can wait a few days, I can look it up for you.

I don’t have access to a good enough library to have that book. (The libraries near me are severely under-funded and suffering cuts. I can wait and I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

Well, never say never.

I was doing some research today and found the Proper Calendar of the Rogationists of the Sacred Heart. They celebrate the feast now officially on the 31st, so that they can precede it with a novena and devotional exercises in honor of the Name. Apparnetly, there are no Proper texts yet approved - they had provisional ones, and for the Mass and Office of late have used the texts of the Missal and Liturgy of the Hours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.