Holy Oil Anointing

Greetings,

Are Holy Oils ever used for anointings outside of the Sacraments?

(Besides the anointing of the catechumens)

Thank you!

Al

The Consecration of a Catholic monarch, the consecration of am altar, the consecration of a church to name a few.

A few more:

The traditional consecration of a chalice & paten.

The dedication (I'm not sure of the exact word here) of a new church bell.

Interesting question. For once, it's not something that shows up every few weeks. You should get some kind of award for posting it. :thumbsup: I'm curious what prompted the question, if you don't mind...

[quote="FrDavid96, post:3, topic:333899"]
A few more:

Interesting question. For once, it's not something that shows up every few weeks. You should get some kind of award for posting it. :thumbsup: I'm curious what prompted the question, if you don't mind...

[/quote]

Church bells are baptized.

[quote="FrDavid96, post:3, topic:333899"]
A few more:

[/quote]

I'd be glad to share! The question was popping up in my head as I noticed that Sacred Chrism, Oil for the Infirm, and Oil for the Catechumens were all used, respectively, for particular Sacraments and anointings, and are not used loosely.

Eventhough, I have read that there was a time when Holy Oils were not kept safe, and were used for mystical healings and the like.

These practices then led bishops to begin madndating cleric-only use for Holy Oils, and have since fallen to strict Sacramental use.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.