Holy Oil

When my son was baptized, the decon in charge of the baptism classes gave us each some holy oil to take home with us to use. How long does it keep and is it appropriate to use on child when they are sick? Thanks.

I’m not sure how long it keeps, although it is likely olive oil, and so it keeps the same as regular olive oil. It is appropriate to use in prayerful times, including when a child is sick, but please note that this is not the same as receiving the Sacrament of the Sick, which requires a priest as the minister.

usally about 2 years.
when it starts to smell wierd or less it’s old.
we bought a quart from a dealer and around the 2 year mark it lost it’s smell.

Because of excessive use by some groups and a subsequent confusion with the Anointing of the Sick, the Vatican essentially forbid the public use of such oil. I have several bottles from years back that seem fine. I would still use them as I would Holy Water in the family, but not outside.

Sorry, I don’t have a link for the Vatican statement. You might try a search on the Vatican Site.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.