Holy Places in the US

My husband and I are nearing retirment and planning to ease into our new life by going on several long driving trips. We’d like to see every state in the US. We’re planning our route - starting with the North East probably next summer. We will probably visit about 10 states then come home for a while.

Can you recommend your favorite shrine or holy place please?

I searched for other threads on this topic and none seemed to answer my question. Thank you, in advance, for your collective wisdom and info.

May you be blessed!

I’ve never been there but I am told the shrine of Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne in St Charles, MO is quite nice.

The shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton & the Lourdes Grotto in Emmitsburg, MD. My Parish Preist had an experience there that led him to the Preisthood. I have never been there despite our yearly parish pilgrimage. I would love to go and hear Fathers story from him. Tim

Have you been to the Basilica
nationalshrine.com/site/pp.asp?c=etITK6OTG&b=106948

It’s in Washington, DC - it’s an awesome church.

Ahh I would love to go there, It’s only 90 miles from my house. Tim

lorettochapel.com/staircase.html

Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe New Mexico.

I have never been there but heard about the legend of the mysterious staircase in the Chapel.

archdiocesesantafe.org/AboutASF/Chimayo.html

El Santuario de Chimayo, in Chimayo NM it is a small chapel filled with miracles. I love this church it is my favorite.

I have been to the shrine of Our Lady of La Leche in St. Augustine several times and am always in awe of that tiny church. The Nombre de Dios mission was established on that site by the Spanish in 1565, but the shrine was built sometime after that. It is worth seeing because of its age.

Seek1st, how wonderful that you and your husband will be traveling:dancing: the Country! I can’t wait to be able to do that, probably in about 8 years from now! Here is a website for a beautiful & peaceful shrine in a historical place: www.missionandshrine.org. It is Our Lady of La Leche Shrine in St. Augustine, Florida. It is the first shrine in the United States dedicated to our Blessed Mother. It is on the grounds where Pedro Menendez landed in 1565 & the first Mass was said in the United States (under Spain). I try to go there once a month or so, as it is only about 30 minutes away from my home. They have a nice gift shop on the grounds as well. I hope you add this shrine to your itinerary. :slight_smile:

Hey Mary! I guess we were thinking the same thing! Great minds…:smiley:

When you get to the midwest, please come see Trinity Heights, Queen of Peace Shrine in Northwest Iowa:

sctrinityheights.org/

[quote="water]Have you been to the Basilica
nationalshrine.com/site/p…K6OTG&b=106948

It’s in Washington, DC - it’s an awesome church.
[/quote]

When I go I usually take the VRE train. MARC and Amtrak also can get you to Washington DC’s Union Station. From Union Station, take the METRO Red Line to CUA (Catholic University of America). It is a short walk from the metro stop to the National Shrine.

And I usually plan to spend most of the day when I go. It is such a wonderful place with many beautiful chapels to visit and just quietly sit (in prayer, or do some reading, or just to wait on the Lord).

Also nearby is the Franciscan Monestary
myfranciscan.org/
with its reproductions of many Holy Sites. You can see Jesus’ birthplace, the site of the ascension and other very accurate full-scale reproductions. And a reproduction of some Roman catacombs. They also have a wonderful bookstore / gift shop.

Also nearby is the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center
jp2cc.org/
One can also easily spend hours in that place. When I visited, there was a special exhibit of Michelangelo – including his scale model of the dome of St. Peters.

Less noteworthy, but still very much worth visiting
The Rosary Shrine of Saint Jude
Saint Dominic Church
501 Sixth Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20024-2716
op-stjoseph.org/advance/shrine.htm
There are several alters very suitable for praying the Rosary. Members of the Rosary Confraternity should try to visit this church if possible. President LB Johnson sometimes visited this church for spiritual counsel.

jmm08

The National Shrine of the American Martyrs in Auriesville, NY, should be a stop for you. This is the birthplace of Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha and honors some of the earliest martyrs on this continent.

On the other side of the U.S.A. is the Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus in San Francisco:

stjude-shrine.org/

While in California there are also the lovely old missions to visit. Also, you should see the Carmel of the Infant Jesus in Santa Clara, CA:

members.aol.com/santaclaracarmel/

And the Carmelite Monastery of Cristo Rey in San Francisco:

jnelson.com/Church%20Installs/carmelite_monastery.htm

In Savannah, GA, a must-see is the beautiful Cathedral of St. John the Baptist:

savannahcathedral.org/

Around that same area is the Grotto of the Redemption, which is a very worthwhile visit.

Way of the Cross

New Ulm, Minnesota

dnu.org/shrines/wayofcross/index.html

Here is a shrine that I would like :yup: to visit: www.olamshrine.com .The Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament at Our Lady of The Angels Monestary in Hanceville, Alabama (that Mother Angelica built).:slight_smile:

Shrine of the Holy Relics in Ohio
mariasteincenter.org/

Pittsburgh has St. Anthony’s Chapel also called The Shrine On The Hill. Built in the 1880’s & located on Troy Hill on Pittsburgh’s northside, the shrine, dedicated to “The Wonder Worker” Saint Anthony of Padua, houses over 4200 relics contained in 800 reliquaries of various sizes, with 525 accompying documents. Some of the documents are over two hundred years old,for example, August 12,1716, the bones of St. Frances of Rome, April 24, 1744, St. Phillip Neri. Under the Tabernacle altar is a case, brought from Rome in 1880, containing the entire skeletal remains of the martyr St. Demetrius. There is so much to see at the shrine! There are beautiful life size stations of the cross & beautiful stained glass windows. There is a nice gift shop across the street also. DH & I have been to the shrine twice while visiting Pittsburgh for Steeler football games. I hope you will go, it’s really awesome.:slight_smile:

I have to agree with FCEGM on Auriesville, NY. I visited my best friend in NY and we drove there. It’s between Albany and Syracuse on the Thruway. Very scenic. Once you get there, go to the Bl Kateri Chapel & museum. Then walk up to the site where her Iroquois village has been located. Then walk down to the springs she used to get water from. Very neat. Then go up to the Martyr’s Shrine and be amazed. The view is wonderful, and the Coliseum is amazing. Be sure to walk up the Stations of the Cross and the Via Matris.

Now, when you get to Oregon, be sure to go the The National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother. Commonly known as The Grotto, it is a Servite Chapel, Grotto, Store, Walk, Peace Garden, Monestary in the heart of Portland. May - October are outdoor daily Masses, plus too many wonderful things to mention. Be sure to catch some pearls of wisdom from the Servite Father, esp Fr Topper & Fr Kissel, and visit wonderful Sister Dorothy, FSE in the store. Tell her Michael says hi and sends love. Bring your Rosary, you won’t be sorry.

www.thegrotto.org

1. St. Philomena’s Catholic Church, Kalapaupa, island of Molokai, Hawaii

2. The National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother, also known as The Grotto, Portland, Oregon
    thegrotto.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.