Holy Resurrection Monastery

Has anyone here ever been to the Romanian Catholic Holy Resurrection Monastery in California? What are the monks there like? Do they stick to Eastern traditions and Church teaching? Are they orthodox in their lifestyle and teaching?

These days the Romanian monks are living with the Benedictine monks of St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo. See hrmonline.org/movetovalyermo

I don’t know a lot about how this works. The Eastern monks have a separate chapel and when I was there a few weeks ago I saw only one of them in the refectory, so they seem to be keeping separate. On the other hand, the two groups of monks have collaborated on retreat offerings.

I can assure you that the brethren of Holy Resurrection Monastery in the Romanian Catholic Eparchy are quite orthodox in all senses of the term.

They have the full support of their bishop, John Michael Botean, a true elder.

Thank you all for the replies. I plan on visiting them, but I just wanted to make sure that they were orthodox.

You can visit their website at

www.hrmonline.org

And hear some of their teaching at YourWordFromTheWise

Lucky you! I’ve been greatly influenced by them, mostly from afar. I met Fr. Maximos at the Orientale Lumen conference in 2008.

CIX!

Although a bit further north, Hieromonk Taras has recently published the first newsletter of his new Skete of the Holy Cross in the Eparchy of Edmonton (UGCC):

edmontoneparchy.com/News/10%20Oct%202009%20Bulletin%20-%20Holy%20Cross%20Skete.pdf

Many years to Hieromonk Taras and the brethren.

Oh I believe this Father Taras is the convert, right? He has an awesome conversion story on EWTN by the way. I wish I could find the link.

Sort of a “revert” (he was a cradle UGCC). He was a former biker.

I don’t like to use the term “revert” to me a convert is one who goes from another religion to Catholicism OR one who goes from a life of sin/being away from the Church back to the Church.

“Revert” has the connotation of “going back”.

He did go back - to the practice of his ancestral faith. If I am not mistaken, that was the term he used himself on “Coming Home”.

On the other hand, conversion from sin back to intimate communion with our Savior should be our constant pilgrimage of metanoia.

We can’t have too many monasteries!

The audio Archives of The Journey Home are here. The program is #268 “Fr. Terry Kraychuk”.

Even easier someone has a direct link here to the same Journey Home interview. :slight_smile:

I have been to both the original Newberry Springs location and thier current home at the Benedictine Abbey. The monks have a seperate chapel.They do stick to the Eastern traditions and teachings and are quite orthodox in lifestyle, worship and teaching.

They are a true blessing to the Eastern Catholic church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.