Holy Sacraments for non/former catholic?

May I know your opinion about these cases:

1. they are former Catholics, practicing born again christian now, but they are having their child baptized at the Catholic church for document purpose only…(that’s what she said) It was playing on my mind so I just want too know others opinion. Is it still right to encourage them to do it? specially the mother mentioned that she has no intention of raising the child catholic?

2. two people who got married at the catholic church even though, they are already attending to a different religion. (Iglesia ni Cristo, a christian sect in our country known for HATING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH). Their reason is because the people in their province doesn’t know and would not accept them being member to that sect. So they got married on the church. (How convenient).

I want to know you’re opinion on this because these are holy sacraments that I feel being abused.

Thanks!

Kamusta kapatid?

Anyone can be validly baptized. But this will be against the Church’s wishes as they have no plans raising the child Catholic. But the baptism is valid and for all intent and purposes, the child is Catholic.

You should have reported that to the parish. Joining the Iglesia ni Cristo is apostatizing the faith, they are excommunicated by the Church for that act. Since Iglesia, while claiming to follow the teachings of Christ, denies His divinity. They are similar to Mormons, actually more like a cross of Mormons and SDAs. Apostasy warrants automatic excommunication. They have an invalid marriage in the eyes of the Church.

Mabuti naman po!

Thanks for the time answering. I encounter this two couple when I was in College. I got shocked when she showed me their wedding picture for I know them for being non Catholics.

About the child. I just prayed that He will be a good catholic some day. But If you were to encounter this situation, how would you react? specially I don’t want to hurt feelings!

In the first situation I would be a bit torn. I’d be happy the child is baptized a Catholic and is receiving a valid baptism. But also worried about his upbringing since he won’t be raised as one. Perhaps the graces he would receive at baptism will guide him back to the Catholic Church when he grows up. We can only pray. By the way, what do they need a baptismal certificate for? In the past it was accepted as a legal document, but not anymore. Its always a NSO document that is considered official. A birth certificate is pretty much useless in secular society in the Philippines today.

On the second instance, I would report it to the priest who married them. Its a sacrilege of the Sacrament of the Church. I wouldn’t worry about hurting their feelings. The thing about the Iglesia is that they don’t care about our Church and won’t treat the Catholic Church with any respect. If I was close to them I would talk to them before the wedding and tell them how would they feel if Catholics do the same thing in their temples? Not just because they believe that the Catholic Church is a fake Church means they can pretty much walk on over our beliefs as they wish. If they don’t relent, I’m going to the priest.

Your pastor is probably the most important opinion, but for what it’s worth, imho, if neither case indicates the child will be raised Catholic the proper response is to defer baptism.

If the priest is aware it is NOT their intention to raise the child as a Catholic then it would not be permitted to be baptised into the Catholic Church.

Can. 868 §1** For an infant to be baptised lawfully it is required**:

1° that the parents, or at least one of them, or the person who lawfully holds their place, give their consent;

**2° that there be a well-founded hope that the child will be brought up in the catholic religion. If such hope is truly lacking, the baptism is, in accordance with the provisions of particular law, to be deferred and the parents advised of the reason for this. **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.