Holy See calls for immediate ceasefire in Gaza-Israel conflict [CWN]

The United Nations Human Rights Council met on July 23 to discuss the human rights situation in Gaza. Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Holy See’s permanent representative to UN offices …

More…

Whenever the phrase “common good” is incited, Catholics immediately fall to their knees in submission. The term seems to be viewed by progressives and Europeans as being the key to all social progress -so its overstressed.

Or underestimated.

:nope:

The “common good” is not commonly accepted. Until Progressives are able to implement a single, universal common culture, the Muslims will not play along fairly… But we can always dream -and hope that our good deeds are not turned around and used against us.

Now all this Abp Tomasi needs to do is persuade Hamas to stop shooting rockets into Israel, and it’s done.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c2a2.htm

Sharing
I Authority
II.The common good.

Peace.

"One of the earliest references in Christian literature to the concept of the common good is found in the Epistle of Barnabas: “Do not live entirely isolated, having retreated into yourselves, as if you were already [fully] justified, but gather instead to seek together the common good.”
[2]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_good

…We are to “seek together” the common good. So are we actually supposed to believe that Israel has rejected this concept? I dont believe it. But there are other groups that do outright reject the concept of common good. I could name a few. But nowhere have i ever heard that all wars are opposed to the common good. because evil is real. Just as violent criminals are real, and they go to prison.

The protection of minority races and cultures is the common good. They are the most vulnerable.

With our “good deeds” of keeping Israel rolling in USA taxpayer money to buy arms, how long will it take “Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu” to be as popular as Syria’s Assad?

rex

Tepo , this thread is about a ceasefire. As I see it a ceasefire is for the common good. Common good should not be underestimated in our struggle to discern the greater good, right here right now.
That is all I meant.
Peace

I don’t think that was the suggestion of Archbishop Tomasi. Rather, he was saying that lasting peace is not possible if the common good is neglected. He specifically mentioned the right “to live in peace and security within internationally recognized borders” and the right to have “access to the normal means of existence like medicines, water and jobs.”

Israel is willing to continue the ceasefire so long as it is free to locate and destroy the military tunnels of Hamas. That may be the best short term solution possible. If movement towards a just and lasting peace can be demonstrated, perhaps a longer term peace can develop.

Next up, the Holy See needs to speak up for the persecuted Christians in the Middle East.

He has been doing so ,Path Finder, since day one. He spoke about martyrs as soon as he was elected.

Here is one.

christianpost.com/news/pope-francis-deeply-concerned-about-christian-persecution-says-stronger-than-1st-century-church-121562/

You can read more at News.Va.
Peace

I do hope and pray that a ceasefire is enacted as soon as possible and hopefully that would be immediately.

I hope they say it at the UN as well. I don’t see why the UN is not addressing the situation more as well along with the USA. At least the Prime Minister of the UK has spoken out on it.

The article you refer to is from originally a magazine article interview.

Here are some more.

ibtimes.co.uk/pope-francis-christians-middle-east-iraq-syria-524199

p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/21/pope-francis-says-no-middle-east-without-christian/

indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=25208

m.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dkP3snOCw

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/11/21/pope-francis-calls-for-full-religious-freedom-in-the-middle-east/

firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2013/03/pope-francis-and-the-christians-of-the-middle-east

Peace.

Sorry. I posted the other links without reading this one. They may not be the best,but you may be better than I am at finding sources.
I understand what you mean. It should be addressed loud and clear .All over.
It did call my attention anyway at that time that martyrs was about the first thing Pope Francis spoke about when he was elected. Since then,he has been addressing the issue relentlessly though.

I just hope the Jews are able to rebuild the third Temple. I hope they build it large, and protect it fiercely. i’ll be praying for it.

Tepo, I didn’t mean to ignore you, but I think you need to be enlightened concerning the Zionist Ashkenazi Jewish reestablishment of a Jewish Homeland in Palestine by reading the following:

thedaysofnoah.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/the-rothschild-1901-1919-the-secret-creators-of-world-war-1/

[quote=http://thedaysofnoah.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/the-rothschild-1901-1919-the-secret-creators-of-world-war-1/ ]

Bolsheviks would go on in the course of history to slaughter 60 million Christians and Non-Jews in Soviet controlled territory.

[/quote]

PS:
Just to be fair, Israel is represented by all types of Jews today, but the Zionist Ashkenazi Jews were basically secular with nationalistic interests for reestablishing their homeland not to mention getting close to all that middle eastern oil …

They own the federal reserve, but maybe you’ll get your “third Temple” too some day. :shrug:

rex

Uh huh, the Pope must be deluded to speak in favor of the common good.:rolleyes:

So are we actually supposed to believe that Israel rejected this concept? Yes, it’s an exceedingly well documented fact that Israel rejects this concept in extremis, but, no, just because it’s a fact doesn’t mean you have to believe it. You can harbor whatever crazy delusions you want, I can’t stop you.

huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/gaza-israel_b_5624401.html

As much as I hate to say this, but when is the last time any actions were taken to stop the fighting ANYWHERE due to what the Holy See, or the Vatican/ Pope/ Church for that matter, says?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.