Holy Spirit and sin

We all know that the Holy Spirit resides in each one of us, but what happens when we sin?

I’m thinking we lose this grace, but can’t find any scriptures that help with this?

Thanks a million.

Could you be a little more clear on what you mean by “lose this grace” ? The Holy Spirit seals us and we are the temple of the Holy Spirit…We hide His word in our hearts that we don’t sin…Conviction arrives from un confessed sin…Do some word studies…Try “sin” look up the verses…Read Romans * and Hebrews 4…God will not let you be, he will pursue you…Let me share a story…My druggie coworker friend and I had radical conversion experiences in1973…It was like night and day…My exwife gave me the boot and married my one best friend a year later…It really hurt me and rather that cling to the Lord I wandered into other things…During that time the Holy Spirit was always working conviction left me miserable but yet I still felt surrounded by His love… I finally felt so bad I went to the little storefront church across from the college and poured my heart out before the Lord at their altar rail…I poured out my heart and felt washed and weightless…It was like my life was put on hold and my faith returned with a passion…I know God is faithful to complete the work He started in me Phil 1:6…May the Lord bless you mightily as you draw closer to Him and deeper in His word…Kim

I think you are referring to what happens when we commit mortal sin. As you probably know, there are two kinds of sin, mortal and venial.

Mortal sin kills the life of God in the soul, known as Sanctifying Grace. If we commit a mortal sin (grave matter, sufficient reflection, full consent of the will), our soul is effectively dead, and only the Sacrament of Penance can revive it (practically speaking).

Venial sins are less serious. Either the matter of the sin itself is less serious, or we lack sufficient reflection and/or full consent. They do not cause us to lose Sanctifying Grace. They do, however, damage our friendship with God and make it easier to commit mortal sins by weakening the will.

There is a Bible passage that refers to sins “unto death” and “not unto death.” I don’t have the ability to look those up right now. Perhaps those keywords will help you find it.

Betsy

From 1 John
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Does the Catholic bible version say Sins(plural) unto death ?

I think I might have found it in Romans 8:9 (see below). Galatians 5:16-26 is similar

Hiskid, I had a similar experience with sin. I always knew there was a God, but I never wanted to do his will. Initially I was getting by and I could look at the 10 commandments and see that I wasn’t that bad of a person. I love the old saying that if you open the door to the Devil, he’s going to knock it down. Well after a while he knocked it down and I committed a terrible sin against my wife and after that the guilt and the hardening of my heart was unbearable. My wife was loving, kind and patient, while I was the polar opposite. She went to Mass and I couldn’t stand walking in the doors. I really could not stand looking at her because I could not understand how she was happy and I was miserable.

About 6 months ago, I got arrested for drinking and driving and went to Jail. For the first time in my life I got on my knee’s and asked God for help. I started learning about why I’m a Catholic ( I was raised Baptist, so I really didn’t understand Catholics), why I felt so miserable, and started reading Sacred Scripture. My journey has been amazing and now I put 100% effort in not sinning and doing God’s will. Now I feel much happier and I can’t wait to go Mass. In fact, I think I’m called to go to daily Mass (I’ve got a lot of catching up to do):slight_smile:

It just seems that when you are doing God’s will, than the Holy Spirit resides in you and you are so much happier in life. When you sin, the Holy Spirit leaves you, (I guess we call it Sanctifying Grace), and that is why you feel heartless. God bless you guys for the help!

Romans

**5 For those who live according to the flesh are concerned with the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit with the things of the spirit.

6 The concern of the flesh is death, but the concern of the spirit is life and peace.

7 For the concern of the flesh is hostility toward God; it does not submit to the law of God, nor can it;

8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

11 If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you.

12 Consequently, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.

13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

15 For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption, through which we cry, “Abba, Father!”

16 The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

The Lord bless you my dear brother in Christ…I feel it’s imperative to stay close to the Lord in these last days…Thanks for sharing your experience…As your sentence above, I don’t think the Lord ie the Holy Spirit really “leaves” us per say. As the scripture says "He never leave us or forsakes us…I think we somehow isolate ourselves from His closeness…Either way, I think of the “footsteps” and when we don’t feel it or see it , He’s still bearing us up…Oh thank You Lord for Your new mercies every morning.Thank You for Your patience and love while we stumble around and fall…Strengthen us these troubling times to be light and salt to those who you have in our path…We love you Lord, Help us to live daily for You in all our word and deed…In Christ I pray…Amen…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.