Holy Spirit Encyclical (cont'd) - Part I -paragraph 3

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Having finished the Introduction, we now begin Part 1, section 1, paragraph 3 of St. JPII’s Encyclical On the Holy Spirit .

PART I - THE SPIRIT OF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON, GIVEN TO THE CHURCH

1. Jesus’ Promise and Revelation at the Last Supper
  1. When the time for Jesus to leave this world had almost come, he told the Apostles of "another Counselor."16 The evangelist John, who was present, writes that, during the Last Supper before the day of his Passion and Death, Jesus addressed the Apostles with these words: "Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son… I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth."17

It is precisely this Spirit of truth whom Jesus calls the Paraclete-and parakletos means “counselor,” and also “intercessor,” or “advocate.” And he says that the Paraclete is “another” Counselor, the second one, since he, Jesus himself, is the first Counselor,18 being the first bearer and giver of the Good News. **The Holy Spirit comes after him and because of him, in order to continue in the world, through the Church, the work of the Good News of salvation. **Concerning this continuation of his own work by the Holy Spirit Jesus speaks more than once during the same farewell discourse, preparing the Apostles gathered in the Upper Room for his departure, namely for his Passion and Death on the Cross.

The words to which we will make reference here are found in the Gospel of John. Each one adds a new element to that prediction and promise. And at the same time they are intimately interwoven, not only from the viewpoint of the events themselves but also from the viewpoint of the mystery of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, which perhaps in no passage of Sacred Scripture finds so emphatic an expression as here.

I’m sorry the footnotes are all at the end of the encyclical. It is a bit of a bother to keep scrolling down, but today I want to spend some time listening to the discourse of Jesus at the Last Supper as recorded in John’s Gospel, chapters 13 -17. How important for us to pray and listen to God speaking in His Word, revealing Himself to us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.