Holy Spirit = God as Angel?

Since Christ is God-made-Man, is the Holy Spirit God-made-Angel?

In the same way that Christ is 100% human and 100% divine, is the Holy Spirit 100% angelic and 100% divine?

Or to put it another way, Christ is the perfect image of God in the material plane. In the same way, is the Holy Spirit the perfect image of God in the spiritual plane? (The way I understand it, God doesn’t “inhabit” the spiritual plane anymore than He does the material plane, both planes being His creations. He lives above all planes, and He is His Own space of existence… I think this might not be the way it is typically or rightly understood?)

This would seem to add up, seeing as how the Holy Spirit is the procession of love from the Father to the Son and back… sort of the messenger of love… The angels seem to serve the same function between God and mankind sometimes.

One difference: angels are creatures of God. God the Father did not create God the Holy Spirit, as the two have existed, in perpetual unity with the Son, as One God, before all ages.

[quote=Fidei Defensor]One difference: angels are creatures of God. God the Father did not create God the Holy Spirit, as the two have existed, in perpetual unity with the Son, as One God, before all ages.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Yes, Ditto.

One difference: angels are creatures of God. God the Father did not create God the Holy Spirit, as the two have existed, in perpetual unity with the Son, as One God, before all ages.

I think you’re missing the point. Humans are creatures of God, but that didn’t stop God from becoming Human. The OP’s question is not denying that the Holy Spirit always existed, but rather that it was at some point “incarnated” as an angel, just as Jesus was at some point incarnated as a human.

An interesting theological extrapolation, but I would offer the following lines of thought against it.

1. Angels do not participate in salvation. They do not need an incarnation of God for any reason. Such a thing would be superfluous, unlike humanity’s need for a divine savior.

2. Humanity is the ultimate act of creation. When we participate in salvation, in heaven we become fully united to God. Thus it was appropriate for God to become human, because he maintains full unity with Himself as God. Angels, however, will never participate in the same level of unity as humans. Therefore if the HS became God, he would be permanently separating himself from the trinity. Not good.

3. If the HS became an angel, it would be appropriate for us to worship an angel, just as it is currently appropriate for us to worship the God-man. Such a requirement would add useless complexity to the salvific plan.

4. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. This makes sense if God is purely in either God form or Human form (Such as in the Eucharist, it is compatible with ourselves.) But to say sanctifying grace means to have an angel living within us would be inappropriate. God can live in us because we are united to God. But having an angel live in us would be to have two separate beings existing in the same unit, which is not possible aside from posession.

My responses are mere theological thought. I don’t claim for them to be 100% sound in orthodoxy or doctrine. I’m just thinking out the best I can for an abstract question outside the current realm of faith.

Blessings!

Josh

[quote=bengeorge]Since Christ is God-made-Man, is the Holy Spirit God-made-Angel?

In the same way that Christ is 100% human and 100% divine, is the Holy Spirit 100% angelic and 100% divine?
[/quote]

There are no Scriptural or Traditional sources that support the notion that the Spirit has partaken of the angelic races. In the Godhead, only the Son emptied Himself to incarnate into a creature (Philippians 2:5-11). The sole purpose was to redeem what was lost by the human race. Since we know that angels have no second chance to redemption, this speaks against anyone in God incarnating into an angel (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6; Matthew 25:41).

However, prior to the Incarnation, the Son seems to have appeared in the form of an angel on various occasions according to some theologians (based on Genesis 22:1, 2, 10-12, 15-18; Exodus 3:2-20; Judges 13:18 compared with Isaiah 9:6; etc.). We are not to understand that the Son was an angel according to His nature, only that He took on a role of being a messenger which is another rendering of the word ‘angel.’ This interpretation is found in early Christian writings.

Other Scripture appears to be against the interpretation that it was the Son that materialized in those Old Testament episodes since He came to reveal through the New Testament for the first time (Hebrews 1:1, 2; see also Acts 7:53; Galatians 3:19; Hebrews 2:2). We find evidence that God simply used angels as true messengers carrying His Words and speaking in His Name (Numbers 20:16; Judges 2:1-5; 1 Kings 13:18) as He did with the prophets (Judges 6:7-10; etc.).

In the end, Scripture is clear that God has at no time taken hold of the angelic race, in other words has not incarnated into an angel (Hebrews 1:3-14, NASB):

3And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
4having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.
5For to which of the angels did He ever say,
“YOU ARE MY SON,
TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU”?
And again,
“)I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM
AND HE SHALL BE A SON TO ME"?
6And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says,
“AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM."
7And of the angels He says,
"WHO MAKES HIS ANGELS WINDS,
AND HIS MINISTERS A FLAME OF FIRE."
8But of the Son He says,
"YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER,
AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.
9”YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS;
THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU
WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."
10And,
“YOU, LORD, IN THE BEGINNING LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH,
AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS;
11THEY WILL PERISH, BUT YOU REMAIN;
AND THEY ALL WILL BECOME OLD LIKE A GARMENT,
12AND LIKE A MANTLE YOU WILL ROLL THEM UP;
LIKE A GARMENT THEY WILL ALSO BE CHANGED
BUT YOU ARE THE SAME,
AND YOUR YEARS WILL NOT COME TO AN END.“
13But to which of the angels has He ever said,
“SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES
A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET”?
14Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?

The passage clearly indicates that the Son is God and Lord (verse 8 and 10) which all angels must worship (verse 6). He is also clearly not an angel in that God the Father at no time said to an angel, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you” or “I will be a Father to Him and He shall be a Son to me” (verse 5) or “Sit at my right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet” (verse 13) for they are merely ministering spirits.

And more directly (Hebrews 2:14-18, DR):

14Therefore because the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself in like manner hath been partaker of the same: that, through death, he might destroy him who had the empire of death, that is to say, the devil:

15And might deliver them, who through the fear of death were all their lifetime subject to servitude.

16For no where doth he take hold of the angels: but of the seed of Abraham he taketh hold.

17Wherefore, it behoved him in all things to be made like unto his brethren, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest before God, that he might be a propitiation for the sins of the people.

18For in that wherein he himself hath suffered and been tempted he is able to succour them also that are tempted.

Hello !!

Not sure why this is what is in my head…
(may or may not be in line)

Christ existed before he took human form.
Consider God the author of the story, who already had his main character. We just weren’t introduced to the main character until he took human form.

Likewise, the Holy Spirit has always existed.

One description of the Holy Spirit that I like is this.
The love between God and Christ was SO strong, that the love itself was an entity all its own, which we call the Holy Spirit.

This will also bring in line that God IS love.
Actually, that each of the three persons of Holy Trinity ARE love.

Sorry for rambling.

michel

[quote=bengeorge]Since Christ is God-made-Man, is the Holy Spirit God-made-Angel?

Or to put it another way, Christ is the perfect image of God in the material plane. In the same way, is the Holy Spirit the perfect image of God in the spiritual plane? (The way I understand it, God doesn’t “inhabit” the spiritual plane anymore than He does the material plane, both planes being His creations. He lives above all planes, and He is His Own space of existence… I think this might not be the way it is typically or rightly understood?)

This would seem to add up, seeing as how the Holy Spirit is the procession of love from the Father to the Son and back… sort of the messenger of love… The angels seem to serve the same function between God and mankind sometimes.
[/quote]

To be an angel, is to be a creature - so what an angel is, God cannot be: to be a creature, is to be not-God. But the Holy Spirit is God. So, the Holy Spirit is not an angel

The Incarnation is a bit different - because Christ is not man only, but God also: He is both, to the detriment of neither.

The difference, crudely put, is:

Holy Spirit = an angel

Jesus Christ = God the Word + a human nature

• IOW, there are more “ingredients” in the Incarnation, than in your suggestion that the Holy Spirit could be an angel. Which is why the comparison is not exact. ##

Only the Son became incarnate (as man.)

Neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit took on any other nature, either of man or angel. Each possesses simply and only, the one Nature of God. (Though they are separate Persons, they have but One nature.)

It was only the Son who took on a human nature, so that, as man, he might offer the perfect sacrifice to the Father for the sins of Man. Yet, because he is also God, that sacrifice has infinite and eternal value.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.