Holy Spirit - God or not? Person or force?

Okay, I believe in the Trinity, however I am aware that there are some non-Christians (ie-Mormons & Jehovah’s Witnesses) that have flawed views on the nature of God. Recently I came upon a similar website that claimed that the Father and Jesus are both divine, but that the Holy Spirit was not. They argued that the Holy Spirit is not a Person of the Trinity, but a force. How would you refute that claim?

[quote=JSmitty2005]Okay, I believe in the Trinity, however I am aware that there are some non-Christians (ie-Mormons & Jehovah’s Witnesses) that have flawed views on the nature of God. Recently I came upon a similar website that claimed that the Father and Jesus are both divine, but that the Holy Spirit was not. They argued that the Holy Spirit is not a Person of the Trinity, but a force. How would you refute that claim?
[/quote]

Three persons = ONE God!

Correct me friends if I get this wrong!

Is there anything anywhere in the context of the entire Word of God that indicates that this would be the case? No.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created heaven, and earth. 2 And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters.

Some translations say “brooded” over the waters. Does this sound like the actions of a less than divine entity?

Matthew 12:31 Therefore I say to you: Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but the blasphemy of the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

If the Holy Spirit is not God…how then can this blasphemy be such an extremely grave sin?

BTW Paris…You’re right on the target lil sister! :thumbsup:
Pax tecum,

“Thank You Lord for Pope Benedict XVI”

Ditto to that^! Thanks for your responses, you don’t have to convince me that God is in 3 persons, I’m just wondering how to defend it. Peace :thumbsup:

Here is a website that has references on the personality of the Holy Spirit:

kevinquick.com/kkministries/books/reasoning/holyspirit.html

John Salza’s Scripture Catholic website has a section on the personality of the Holy Spirit:

scripturecatholic.com/the_holy_spirit.html#second_coming-II

Person, not force

John 14:26

The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name–he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.

Acts 8:29

The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.”

Acts 13:2

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Romans 8:27

And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.

1 Cor 2:11

Among human beings, who knows what pertains to a person except the spirit of the person that is within? Similarly, no one knows what pertains to God except the Spirit of God.

1 Cor 12:11

But one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing them individually to each person as he wishes.

Eph 4:30

And do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, with which you were sealed for the day of redemption

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.