Holy Spirit John 15:26

The Holy Spirit transmits from the Father.

I assume you mean this from the perspective of the filoque controversy?

I would encourage you to read this short essay on the matter, from the USCCB website. In particular, one sentence stands out, from the Joint International Commission in 1982: “Without wishing to resolve yet the difficulties which have arisen between the East and the West concerning the relationship between the Son and the Spirit, we can already say together that this Spirit, which proceeds from the Father (Jn. 15:26) as the sole source of the Trinity, and which has become the Spirit of our sonship (Rom. 8:15) since he is already the Spirit of the Son (Gal.4:6), is communicated to us, particularly in the Eucharist, by this Son upon whom he reposes in time and eternity (Jn. 1:32).”

Blessings,
G.

p.s., looking at today’s Gospel reading, we also see Jesus saying, “if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.” (John 16:7)

It seems that – Scripturally – the Spirit proceeds from Jesus, too… :wink:

The Holy Spirit is transmitted by The Father through the Son.

This. The Church has never insisted that the Holy Spirit originates from the Son. Rather, it believes that it is channeled through the Son from the Father.

Frank Sheed’s explained it this way: The Holy Spirit is the utterance of Father and Son mutual love for each other. Hence this infinite mutual love proceeds from both Father and Son.

I don’t understand Sheed’s theology too clearly since I am of simple mind, but I think this is the gist of what he wrote.

As others have said, the Holy Spirit originates from the Father, and is transmitted to us through the Son. If you’re curious, this is the exact same belief that the Orthodox have.

That’s what’s so sad about the Filioque - that there was never a difference in belief. It was just an argument about authority as well as theological implications. The belief stayed exactly the same.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.