Holy Spirit leads her

My wife has fallen away from the Catholic Faith and has become a minister for a fundamental very pentacostal (so called non-denominational) church. Much of their religion revolves around the “receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit” which involves speaking in tongues, being slain in the spirit, emotional worship and emotional preaching. She talks all the time about the Holy Spirit told her this and told her that especially in regards to the giving of tithes and offerings. Any problems that I might have with the excesses of her offerings over and above tithing leads to her saying the Holy Spirit told her to write this check for this and that. How can I refute her? She makes it sound like I am saying no to God.

Her church also goes overboard with the “sowing seed” teachings that if you sow your seed it will be returned abundantly. They also teach the “word-faith” mumbo jumbo that what you speak is what you will get. I am at a loss as what to do.

[quote=baccc]My wife has fallen away from the Catholic Faith and has become a minister for a fundamental very pentacostal (so called non-denominational) church. Much of their religion revolves around the “receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit” which involves speaking in tongues, being slain in the spirit, emotional worship and emotional preaching. She talks all the time about the Holy Spirit told her this and told her that especially in regards to the giving of tithes and offerings. Any problems that I might have with the excesses of her offerings over and above tithing leads to her saying the Holy Spirit told her to write this check for this and that. How can I refute her? She makes it sound like I am saying no to God.

Her church also goes overboard with the “sowing seed” teachings that if you sow your seed it will be returned abundantly. They also teach the “word-faith” mumbo jumbo that what you speak is what you will get. I am at a loss as what to do.
[/quote]

Its hard to go against the teachings of God. Try TESTING God with this area of tithes and offerings and see what He does for you.If He doesnt do what He says STOP. :confused: God Bless

Jesus Himself said, “You shall not put the Lord Your God to the test.” Testing God is a dangerous thing. Trusting God is not.

The so-called “name-it-and-claim-it” group can be very dangerous. Some even teach never to pray “Thy will be done” which is directly contrary to how Jesus prayed Himself in the garden and how he taught us to pray to Our Father.

God’s ways are not our ways, so we cannot demand things of God or expect things to go a certain way. Sometimes He has a very different purpose for us. Keep praying “Jesus, I trust in you.”

Keep praying for your wife that she will find her way back home to Jesus’ Church; be patient and loving and an example of Christ to her. Sooner or later her false doctrines will leave her confused when things begin to fall apart.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Its hard to go against the teachings of God. Try TESTING God with this area of tithes and offerings and see what He does for you.If He doesnt do what He says STOP. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

To see what He does for you! Are you serious? It’s all about what we can do for God! Many Christians have offered their very lives. Don’t tempt the Lord thy God. Tithe as you are able— and **serve **the Lord.

This is very good advice and right on target.

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_22.gif

[quote=Didi]Jesus Himself said, “You shall not put the Lord Your God to the test.” Testing God is a dangerous thing. Trusting God is not.

The so-called “name-it-and-claim-it” group can be very dangerous. Some even teach never to pray “Thy will be done” which is directly contrary to how Jesus prayed Himself in the garden and how he taught us to pray to Our Father.

God’s ways are not our ways, so we cannot demand things of God or expect things to go a certain way. Sometimes He has a very different purpose for us. Keep praying “Jesus, I trust in you.”

Keep praying for your wife that she will find her way back home to Jesus’ Church; be patient and loving and an example of Christ to her. Sooner or later her false doctrines will leave her confused when things begin to fall apart.
[/quote]

Hi Didi, If you read in Malachi 3;10 and I will quote.Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse,so that there might be food in MY house and TEST ME now in this says the Lord of hosts if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. These are not my words BUT the LORDS. Obedience is better than sacrifice. :thumbsup: God Bless

What I would do is pray for her - talk to your priest for advice.

I wouldn’t believe it is the Holy Spirit - sometimes Satan can lead people too…

Hope that doesnt offend

keep praying for your wife and get separate bank accounts, cancel all joint accounts, including credit cards. she is hooked by a cult who can rip you blind in a month if you let them, ask my aunt’s family, same thing happened to them.

Dear baccc,

Read all the Bible verses on tithing. (also find the Catholic interp of Mal 3:10–many protestants love to twist that one). And remember to never test the Lord. Read Mat 4:5-7 and Exodus 17: 1-7 for starters.
And if she wants to tithe to her “new church”, perhaps she should use her own funds.

Good luck and God Bless.

[quote=Mickey]Dear baccc,

Read all the Bible verses on tithing. (also find the Catholic interp of Mal 3:10–many protestants love to twist that one). And remember to never test the Lord. Read Mat 4:5-7 and Exodus 17: 1-7 for starters.
And if she wants to tithe to her “new church”, perhaps she should use her own funds.

Good luck and God Bless.
[/quote]

Hi Mickey, Well you have a chioce. You can obey Mickey or you can obey the Lord. As for Me I will obey the Lord.Obedience is better than sacrifice. Never TEST the Lord unless HE tells you to. :confused: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Mickey, Well you have a chioce. You can obey Mickey or you can obey the Lord. As for Me I will obey the Lord.Obedience is better than sacrifice. Never TEST the Lord unless HE tells you to. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Please, I hope nobody obeys me! :frowning: I am nothing. Spokenword is correct–obedience to the Lord is liberating. Obedience includes sacrifice. The Catholic Church is the Bride of Christ. And so to obey the Church, is to obey Christ. Your wife will come around baccc. Pray for her. God Bless!

[quote=Mickey]Please, I hope nobody obeys me! :frowning: I am nothing. Spokenword is correct–obedience to the Lord is liberating. Obedience includes sacrifice. The Catholic Church is the Bride of Christ. And so to obey the Church, is to obey Christ. Your wife will come around baccc. Pray for her. God Bless!
[/quote]

Hi Mickey, I didnt mean anything personal against you . Jesus came not to change the law but to fulfill it. Some will claim it is part of the mosiac[civil] law. It is true that the culture is different today but Gods principles are the same.Read Lev27;30. That translates into money today. :wink: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Mickey, Well you have a chioce. You can obey Mickey or you can obey the Lord. As for Me I will obey the Lord.Obedience is better than sacrifice. Never TEST the Lord unless HE tells you to. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

:confused:

My webster dictionary gives three definitions as to what it means to “test”. Which definition are you referring to so we know where you are coming from?

1. A means of examining or evaluating something.

2. Something devised and administered to determine one’s skill, knowledge, intelligence, etc.

3. A criterion in measuring or examining: standard.

I would tell her that the Holy Spirit has told you that the Catholic Church is true. If she disagrees then it opens the door to how does anyone know if the Holy Spirit has told them anything and by what criteria do we judge. Usually it comes down to “I feel…”. So they don’t trust in the Holy Spirit, but themselves. And as has been said, watch the money. This brand of religion is far more about cash then about Jesus.

With all due respect SW, Malachi chapter three has nothing to do with tithing money to your church. Read the whole chapter again in context. The following is a quick summary of Chapter three:

Christ shall come to his temple, and purify the priesthood. They that continue in their evil ways shall be punished: but true penitents shall receive a blessing.

Also notice what chapter 3:3 says:

And he shall sit refining and cleansing the silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and shall refine them as gold, and as silver, and they shall offer sacrifices to the Lord in justice.

:blessyou:

[quote=Mickey]With all due respect SW, Malachi chapter three has nothing to do with tithing money to your church. Read the whole chapter again in context. The following is a quick summary of Chapter three:

Christ shall come to his temple, and purify the priesthood. They that continue in their evil ways shall be punished: but true penitents shall receive a blessing.

Also notice what chapter 3:3 says:

And he shall sit refining and cleansing the silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and shall refine them as gold, and as silver, and they shall offer sacrifices to the Lord in justice.

:blessyou:

[/quote]

Hi Mickey, No problem . I repect what you believe. Of course you know we can never outgive God,but as for me I will do my best to try. Everything I own belongs to God. He allows me to keep 90%. WOW , What an awesome God we have. :wink: .God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Mickey, No problem . I repect what you believe. Of course you know we can never outgive God,but as for me I will do my best to try. Everything I own belongs to God. He allows me to keep 90%. WOW , What an awesome God we have. :wink: .God Bless
[/quote]

Now with that I agree! We have been given salvation!

God Bless you SPOKENWORD!

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.