Holy Spirit question

I am fourteen years old and I seem to have lost that voice inside of me that tells me to stop when I do something wrong, that being the Holy Spirit. Now I havent done anything majorly wrong but little things I look back on and I realize that what I did was wrong. Is this just a phase? Is their anyway to make the voice of the Holy Spirit be more “Vocal”?

hi … i am not an apologist… just a ‘random poster’… i am sure the question you asked is something many other people wonder about, including me…!

I guess our solutions may be found by.:
(at least this is what i am doing…because i have the same question as you !)

#1. Praying desperately to our Father In Heaven that we might be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s voice, and that we might hear Him more loud and clear…

#2. Asking ( also rather desperately ) for the Powerful Intercession of our Heavenly Mother Mary…

#3. making sure that everything possible around us and within us is as quiet as possible…
so that we might not miss anything…

Great Question, in my estimation…

Now, i am going to leave the response to someone Professional…:blush:

alice

What you are referring to is your conscience. A conscience is your moral compass and it must be formed properly in order for you to make right choices. Your conscience is formed over time and experience plays a big part in conscience formation. While the actual graces of God assist us greatly in realizing His presence it is ultimately our conscience that directs us back to Him.

There are many driving forces that allow us to divert our attention from our conscience to the glamour of evil. These external forces must be overcome by prayer and discipline. You should allow those adults closest to you to guide you when you need the kind of help that is beyond your location within your spiritual journey. So do not despair. Realize that you are on a journey as we all are and that we do depend and rely on one another for help.

You do well in even questioning such things at your age. You should be commended for this and you are a fine example for your peers.Keep up the good work!..teachccd :slight_smile:

Sounds pretty good for a mere “random” poster! :smiley:

Hello and welcome to both of you. :slight_smile:

Another way to get back in touch with the Holy Spirit and your conscience is to go frequently to Confession. Even though your sins are not very big, it’s still beneficial to receive forgiveness in Confession. Also, you get specific graces to avoid the sins that you confess. And your “spiritual eyesight” is sharpened up by those graces, too, so that you are more aware of what you should and should not do, and what you ought to be sorry for.

And just a note for you, Alice. This site’s professional apologists do not participate in the regular discussion forums such as this one. If at some point you need a professional answer, go to the Ask An Apologist forum.

Betsy

Sometimes the Almighty speaks to us in whispers…sometimes in shouts, sooooooo…we sometimes need to listen harder.

Good advice by the previous posters. :thumbsup:

Do you take these “little things” to confession? You know, confession is not just for mortal sins. If you have no mortal sins, you could start working on these “little things”. The more often you go to confession, the more strength and grace you receive from Our Lord to avoid such sins, even the little ones. Frequent reception of the sacraments (reconciliation and the Eucharist) give us immeasurable grace and strength.

As for that Holy Spirit voice, invoke Him every morning when you wake up. I say this prayer every morning…

O, Holy Ghost, divine Spirit of light and love, I consecrate to thee my mind, my heart, my will and my whole being for time and eternity. May my mind be ever docile to thy celestial inspirations and to the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church, of which thou art the infallible guide. May my heart be always inflamed with love of God and of my neighbor, may my will be ever conformed to the divine will and may my whole life be a faithful imitation of the life and virtues of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to whom with the Father and Thee, O Holy Ghost, be honor and glory forever. Amen.

And if that prayer is too long, just say “Holy Spirit, command me to do Your holy will.”

It is great to see a teenager even thinking about a topic like this!

I recently picked up a small booklet about Guardian Angels at our local catholic bookstore. My understanding from this teaching is that your guardian angel is tasked with nudging you in the right choices. Perhaps you haven’t asked your guardian angel for his help recently. I suggest, even though you are in your teenage years, that you go back to the childhood prayer asking your guardian angel to be at your side. You will be surprised how quickly you get an answer.:thumbsup:

Even St. Paul had trouble. "I do that which I would not do and do not do that which I would."
Very often, especially when the decisions we make are difficult, it is only after we acted that we feel the peace that tells us we have acted in line with God’s will or the lack of peace that says we have sinned.
In other words, as other posters had said, listening to the Holy Spirit takes prayer.

I like the prayer of Thomas Merton in which he questions whether or not he is following God’s will. “But I believe that my desire to follow your will is indeed your will.” Be patient with yourself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.