Holy Thursday disappointment

Tonight I went to the Holy Thursday Mass at my parish. I love my church and have told family that I love the fact that our priest is “traditional”…meaning that he actually adheres to the teachings of the church, speaks out against sin and addresses the importance of confession, is very pro-life, against gay marriage, etc.

So, imagine my dismay when another celebrant introduces himself at the beginning of mass; it is a certain “dissident” bishop in the Detroit area.

I almost got up and walked out (and went to a later mass elsewhere). However, I stayed but felt close to tears. I have worked very hard on my faith these past few years, after almost straying to the “liberal side” myself during grad school. I just don’t understand how my priest would invite him to celebrate Holy Thursday mass. I feel a little betrayed, actually.

Should I say something to my priest about this?

your priest may not have had anything to say about it.
please pray for this old bishop
we have been praying ardently for him since he confirmed my daughter and gave an extremely problematic sermon (which the principal of her Catholic school took pains to “edit” and correct the next day in their religion class. He was a young bishop then, and is now old please pray for him to see and welcome the light. He had many good qualities and good intentioned endeavors when he first came to us, but they have been overwhelmed by his other interests and activities.

Should I say something to my priest about this?

If your priest is a friend and you talk about such things then probably. otherwise I don’t see how this could help. strange though that such a good priest should envite a bishop who is so disloyal to the pope. of course the bishop is the one in charge in this situation. He is the one who can decide what parish he will “visit” during the holiday season. Could be he made this perticular choice for a reason.

If your priest is a friend and you talk about such things then probably. otherwise I don’t see how this could help. strange though that such a good priest should envite a bishop who is so disloyal to the pope. of course the bishop is the one in charge in this situation. He is the one who can decide what parish he will “visit” during the holiday season. Could be he made this perticular choice for a reason.

can a retired bishop without a parish decide to visit a parish, or does he have to be invited? i have no idea how these things work.

however, it was made to sound as though he was invited. that just surprised me, especially since our priest just mentioned in a homily how good it was that another bishop (deceased now, i believe) in our area strictly ahdered to the teachings of the church when he was promoted to bishop.

can a retired bishop without a parish decide to visit a parish, or does he have to be invited? i have no idea how these things work.

my apoloigies I did not know he was retired. I dont think that a retired bishop can envite himself. that does put a different spin on things.

Keep in mind that the unworthiness of the priest celibrant has nothing to do with the validity of the Mass and Sacraments done properly. It was the Donatist heretics that believed that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.