Holy Thursday -how to conclude w/o procession

I am the minister of music at my parish, 1 of 3 in a cluster. Each parish will celebrate one of the parts of the Triduum. My parish will be the site for our Holy Thursday celebration.

I know that we aren't supposed to process the Blessed Sacrament to an altar of repose, but in reading PS, I'm not sure what we are supposed to. There is no indication in the rubrics that I've been able to find.

Has anyone experienced this?

[quote="929dad, post:1, topic:342376"]
I am the minister of music at my parish, 1 of 3 in a cluster. Each parish will celebrate one of the parts of the Triduum. My parish will be the site for our Holy Thursday celebration.

I know that we aren't supposed to process the Blessed Sacrament to an altar of repose, but in reading PS, I'm not sure what we are supposed to. There is no indication in the rubrics that I've been able to find.

Has anyone experienced this?

[/quote]

Umm...the Blessed Sacrament is always processed to an altar of repose, remembering the journey to Gethsemane. Usually, the Pange Lingua is sung without instrumentation during this time until it reaches the altar of repose. Sometimes hymns are sung due to local custom, but silent adoration is preferred and everyone leaves in silence. There is no closing hymn. :confused:

I think you would do well to consult with your Pastor, as he is the one responsible for all religious activity that goes on in the Parish.
I would begin by making an appointment to see him. I would begin by tactfully asking him what he desires for the Holy Thursday service. I don't think you have to consult the other Music Ministers to see what they are doing. That would not be exactly politic....one never knows when there is secret rivalry afoot!

janeway529, Paschale Solemnitatis says this:

1. After the postcommunion prayer, the procession forms, with the crossbearer at its head. The Blessed Sacrament, accompanied by lighted candles and incense, is carried through the church to the place of reservation, to the singing of the hymn "Pange lingua" or some other Eucharistic song. (60) This rite of transfer of the Blessed Sacrament may not be carried out if the liturgy of the Lord's Passion will not be celebrated in that same church on the following day. (61)

I think in this case the Blessed Sacrament is simply returned to the Tabernacle.

In this “cluster” scenario, though, it raises a question: how does the Reserved Sacrament get to the church where the Liturgy of the Passion will be done?

[quote="malphono, post:5, topic:342376"]
In this "cluster" scenario, though, it raises a question: how does the Reserved Sacrament get to the church where the Liturgy of the Passion will be done?

[/quote]

The priest takes the Blessed Sacrament with him when he goes and puts it in a secure area in that church, whether that be in the Tabernacle or in a locked cupboard in the sacristy?

[quote="Phemie, post:4, topic:342376"]
janeway529, Paschale Solemnitatis says this:

I think in this case the Blessed Sacrament is simply returned to the Tabernacle.

[/quote]

The cluster thing seems a bit odd...

[quote="Phemie, post:6, topic:342376"]
The priest takes the Blessed Sacrament with him when he goes and puts it in a secure area in that church, whether that be in the Tabernacle or in a locked cupboard in the sacristy?

[/quote]

Locked in a cupboard? Really? :confused:

Not really, there are many parishes that are part of clusters, my own childhood parish 1 of 4 in a cluster with one Priest. For the Triduum it is suggested that parishes come together as one for the liturgies. That works more or less well. The other option is to have multiple Masses of the Lord’s Supper, etc. Think of one priest going from parish to parish to celebrate these in the evening. Then 4 Good Friday Services then 4 Vigils.

Easier to have just one to which everyone comes and then have the Commemoration of the Passion of Our Lord in another church and the Vigil in a third.

Locked in a cupboard? Really? :confused:

A locked cupboard, for it must be safe, with a candle burning to signal the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The Tabernacle remains open and empty until after the Vigil.

First of all, a cluster of parishes being served by an in solidum team is hardly a new idea and isn't strange at all.

Second, I posed the question hoping that someone here might also experience this situation and could offer a suggestion as to what they do, since Paschale Solementatis is absolutely silent on this topic after telling us that we shouldn't have the procession.

Personally, I like the procession and look forward to chanting pange lingua each year. But I don't get to make up the rules.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep searching in other places for the answer.

Silence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.