Holy water and venial sin

Is it true that holy water remits venial sin?

To re-post a post of mine:

Venial sins are forgiven in many ways -besides confession (frequent confession is greatly recommended) - acts of perfect or even imperfect contrition, prayer, reading Sacred Scripture, the Mass, Holy Communion, the devout use holy water, other sacramentals, little short prayers during the day, acts of love etc

I will add a related section of the Catechism:

From the Catechism:

1436 Eucharist and Penance. Daily conversion and penance find their source and nourishment in the Eucharist, for in it is made present the sacrifice of Christ which has reconciled us with God. Through the Eucharist those who live from the life of Christ are fed and strengthened. “It is a remedy to free us from our daily faults and to preserve us from mortal sins.”

1437 Reading Sacred Scripture, praying the Liturgy of the Hours and the Our Father - every sincere act of worship or devotion revives the spirit of conversion and repentance within us and contributes to the forgiveness of our sins.

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Saint Augustine noted in the year 395 to his catechumens to live their Baptism - but in doing so they would not live without venial sins - for life is never without such - and that daily prayer was instituted to blot them out.

Let us pray the Our Father as St. Augustine spoke of being prayed for such daily venial sins …“forgive us our trespasses…” He noted that for such sins we were given prayer - and especially noted the Lords Prayer.

Indeed in the early Church such was often prayed three times a day. A wonderful practice that my family follows.

CCC The first communities prayed the Lord’s Prayer three times a day, in place of the “Eighteen Benedictions” customary in Jewish piety. scborromeo.org/ccc/p4s2a1.htm

St. Thomas discusses how the sprinkling of Holy Water conduces to the remission of venial sins - in that it includes “a movement of reverence for God and Divine things”.

And one of the older manuals I have notes among the fruitful effects via the intercession of the Church (in dependence on the disposition etc of the person) of sacramentals is “remission of venial sin”.

And the prayer of the Church discusses this in the rite of blessing:

I found the rite of blessing and sprinkling Holy water at Mass in place of the Penitential rite- online (the new translation will be a bit different but that does not matter for this purpose):

"Lord God almighty, creator of all life, of body and soul, we ask you to bless this water:* as we use it in faith forgive our sins* and save us from all illness and the power of evil.

Lord, in your mercy give us living water, always springing up as a fountain of salvation: free us, body and soul, from every danger, and admit us to your presence in purity of heart.

Grant this through Christ our Lord."

catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm

Emp. added.

Emp. added.

The Mass itself I know remits venial sin. But say you don’t go to Mass for a couple of days. Can just putting holy water on your forehead remit venial sin? That’s what I am looking for.

I believe it is the act of blessing yourself with holy water which remits venial sins, not exactly just the physical contact of holy water with your forehead.

And remember what we mean by “remits”. There is no eternal punishment associated with venial sin, only temporal punishment, so when we say an act “remits” venial sins, we really mean that that act is doing away with a part or whole of the temporal punishment due to that sin.

The act of blessing yourself with holy water, then, remits venial sin in accordance with your fervor, and its effect is greater or lesser depending on your fervor.

Missing Mass on Sunday is disobedience to the Church and constitutes grave matter. If you know that and do it anyway under no compulsion, that would be a mortal sin, and you would need to go to confession, not just use Holy Water.

When someone is in a state of grace (Sanctifying or Habitual grace) any sacramental, prayers i.e. petitions to God can and do remit venial sins. Even other Christians in a state of grace can pray for others Christians in a state of grace, and that too can remit venial sin. (1JN5).

Any Christian not in a state of grace in other words in a state of mortal sin, there would be not remittance of venial sin. That said “actual” graces would increase. Note: actual graces are not God’s life being reproduced in you, but is more like providing you super hearing to hear the call of God upon your soul, so that you can respond and turn back toward God, and enter into His life once again.

The Mass itself I know remits venial sin. But say you don’t go to Mass for a couple of days. Can just putting holy water on your forehead remit venial sin? That’s what I am looking for.

yes that is one way to seek forgiveness of venial sins - one way they are forgiven - the devout use of holy water. Or the prayerful use of holy water. Via the intercession of the Church (the prayer and blessing of the water) and ones reverence for God.

He means daily Mass.

Emp. added.

Oh. :shrug: Oh well, now I feel silly.

You don’t need to do that. A simple act of contrition remits venial sin.

To re-post a post of mine:

Venial sins are forgiven in many ways -besides confession (frequent confession is greatly recommended) - acts of perfect or even imperfect contrition, prayer, reading Sacred Scripture, the Mass, Holy Communion, the devout use holy water, other sacramentals, little short prayers during the day, acts of love etc

I will add a related section of the Catechism:

From the Catechism:

1436 Eucharist and Penance. Daily conversion and penance find their source and nourishment in the Eucharist, for in it is made present the sacrifice of Christ which has reconciled us with God. Through the Eucharist those who live from the life of Christ are fed and strengthened. “It is a remedy to free us from our daily faults and to preserve us from mortal sins.”

1437 Reading Sacred Scripture, praying the Liturgy of the Hours and the Our Father - every sincere act of worship or devotion revives the spirit of conversion and repentance within us and contributes to the forgiveness of our sins.

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Saint Augustine noted in the year 395 to his catechumens to live their Baptism - but in doing so they would not live without venial sins - for life is never without such - and that daily prayer was instituted to blot them out.

Let us pray the Our Father as St. Augustine spoke of being prayed for such daily venial sins …“forgive us our trespasses…” He noted that for such sins we were given prayer - and especially noted the Lords Prayer.

Indeed in the early Church such was often prayed three times a day. A wonderful practice that my family follows.

CCC The first communities prayed the Lord’s Prayer three times a day, in place of the “Eighteen Benedictions” customary in Jewish piety. scborromeo.org/ccc/p4s2a1.htm

:thumbsup: Exactly

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.