Holy water and venial sins

Does holy water wash away all venial sins as receiving the Eucharist does? (I know a contrite heart is needed) I was always taught that it does. I also use the words, “By this holy water and by your Precious Blood, wash away all my sins.”

Thanks
Winston http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

[quote=Winston]Does holy water wash away all venial sins as receiving the Eucharist does? (I know a contrite heart is needed) I was always taught that it does. I also use the words, “By this holy water and by your Precious Blood, wash away all my sins.”

Thanks
Winston http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
[/quote]

short, simple answer: yes. The complicated answer involves things like disposition, quasi ex opere operato, etc.

Scott

Your repentance washes away the venial sins. Not the holy water.You might like the following article.

kensmen.com/catholic/water.html

[quote=John Russell Jr]Your repentance washes away the venial sins. Not the holy water.You might like the following article.

[/quote]

Thank you for the link! It was interesting, and the art was beautiful! God bless!

[quote=John Russell Jr]Your repentance washes away the venial sins. Not the holy water.You might like the following article.

[/quote]

While there are some good resources on that site, we should warn that this site attacks the legitimacy of Vatican II and the new mass.

Scott

I have not thoroughly investigated the site. But I support Vatican II and the new Mass, even if the far right has some good points. Theres an element of truth in just about everything.
Thanks for pointing it out.

[quote=Scott Waddell]While there are some good resources on that site, we should warn that this site attacks the legitimacy of Vatican II and the new mass.

Scott
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.