Holy water blessed by the new Pope

A friend of mine will be in Rome the week of March 19th. If there is a new Pope by then (which is possible given how conclaves in the past hundred years have, for the most part, only lasted a few days) she would like to obtain some holy water blessed by him. How would she do this? Whom would she have to ask?

I think this is very unlikely to happen.

At the audiences on Wednesday, the Pope blesses any sacramentals people in the crowd may have.

Go here
santasusanna.org/popeVatican/popeVatican.html

Look for the section that says "religious articles will be blessed by the Pope during the audience."

Anyone can do it, tickets are free when it's held in the Paul VI Hall, although I'm guessing when your friend is there the audience will be in the Square in front of Saint Peter's because there will be big crowds. You don't need tickets if it's in the Square.

[quote="Gia_B, post:1, topic:315123"]
A friend of mine will be in Rome the week of March 19th. If there is a new Pope by then (which is possible given how conclaves in the past hundred years have, for the most part, only lasted a few days) she would like to obtain some holy water blessed by him. How would she do this? Whom would she have to ask?

[/quote]

He will be a very busy man. I don't want to use the word "selfish," but it would hardly be respectful of the awesome responsibilities the new Pontiff will have to trouble him with extraordinarily minor personal requests at that time.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:3, topic:315123"]
At the audiences on Wednesday, the Pope blesses any sacramentals people in the crowd may have.

Go here
santasusanna.org/popeVatican/popeVatican.html

Look for the section that says "religious articles will be blessed by the Pope during the audience."

Anyone can do it, tickets are free when it's held in the Paul VI Hall, although I'm guessing when your friend is there the audience will be in the Square in front of Saint Peter's because there will be big crowds. You don't need tickets if it's in the Square.

[/quote]

I tend to doubt that that generic blessing would suffice to create holy water, for which there is a specific rite.

[/quote]

Why not make a side trip to Lourdes? I believe that I am the recipient of a miracle that began there.

[/quote]

Holy water is blessed using a proper form for the blessing. Your friend would probably need a personal audience with the new pope in order to have him bless water. A generic blessing might be possible but, it wouldn't be holy water in the actual sense of the word. :)

While there are some blessings that are reserved to Bishops, Cardinals and the Pope. We have to remember they are not magical. The rite for Blessing Holy Water, be it the old ritual, new ritual, or one of the rituals of the Eastern Catholic Churches, gives the same effect as a sacramental, the Holy Water blessed by the Pope is no more or less Holy Water than that of the priest in your parish.

There was, (I'm not sure if they still keep the old ritual) but there used to be a blessing for what was called in England "Lustural Water" elsewhere Gregorian Water that included a few drops of wine, ashes and some oil if my memory serves. This was used for consecrations of altars and altar stones, and the blessing of a new church or oratory, not for common useage.

The same goes for other rites of the Church. The Mass of a priest in a remote Mission Chapel has the same effects as a Solemn Papal Mass, while the ceremonial may differ and be more ornate at a Papal Mass, and while it is a privilige to attend a Papal Mass, something that I would not want to miss given the chance, we must remember that the primary celebrant at each Mass is our Lord. He gives the infinite graces that are availible to us if we are properly disposed to recieve them at each and every Mass. The host and wine consecrated by the Pope is not any more or less Jesus than in that little mission chapel.

Seeing any Pope, our current Holy Father, or any of his successors is a wonderful and can be a very spiritually moving experience. However we need to keep in perspective that while his role is unique among all Catholics, and the authority of his office is given to the Church by our Lord, we should value all of the sacramentals and sacraments as they are means which Christ Jesus uses to confir grace to us, individually and as a Church so we can be strengthened to wittness His message to the world.

[/quote]

Holy water is sacramental. You do not have to have a Pope blessing it. Any holy water is the same as far as sacramental is concerned. :)

[quote="Filioque, post:7, topic:315123"]
While there are some blessings that are reserved to Bishops, Cardinals and the Pope. We have to remember they are not magical. The rite for Blessing Holy Water, be it the old ritual, new ritual, or one of the rituals of the Eastern Catholic Churches, gives the same effect as a sacramental, the Holy Water blessed by the Pope is no more or less Holy Water than that of the priest in your parish.

[/quote]

Disclaimer: This does not apply to the West.

In the Byzantine Rite there is the Greater Blessing of Holy Water and the Lesser Blessing of Holy Water. The Greater Blessing of Holy Water is only used once a year on Theophany (the Baptism of Christ). There is a special blessing for Theophany Holy Water. Theophany Holy Water is used to bless everyone's homes each year. We drink Theophany Holy Water for our physical ailments. The rest of the year, if we need more Holy Water blessed, the priest uses the Lesser Blessing of Holy Water. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.