Holy Water For the Home

I did a search before posting this because I did not see the answer I was looking for. We just moved to a new home and would one like to have it blessed by the Priest and would like to keep Holy Water around. The local parish has it available but being relatively new to the CC is there an appropriate type of container to bring some home in? (I don’t think I should use my stant thermos :rolleyes:) We have what looks like a giant mason jar at the parish with a tap on it.

I haven’t heard of any rules about what type of container to bring the Holy Water home in. I’ve been using the same old green glass cruet with a stopper fro the past 40+ years. I’ve seen people over the years use all kinds of containers and yes, even thermos bottles. I wouldn’t recommend bringing too much home any a time though. Just enough to fill up your Holy Water fonts.

Anything decent would be fine.

I would recommend however getting some kind of “holy water bottle” these are readily available from any store that sells Catholic church goods, and the prices start at about one dollar. There is nothing special about these bottles (although might be made that way), it’s simply the fact that they have the words “Holy Water” stamped on them so that people know the difference between that bottle and some other bottle.

Many churches have these bottles available for sale (remember, they’re only selling the bottle itself, the Holy Water is free).

I don’t know if there are any such Catholic stores in Montgomery, but certainly St. Paul has them (don’t know how often you go up that way). They can also be ordered from many internet sites.

We had our house blessed right after we moved in. I highly recommend it!! :smiley: We also have had it blessed on Epiphany a few times. The chalk marks also get visitors asking questions until they are worn off by the weather.

We also keep a holy water font by the front door. I did buy a small plastic bottle with ‘holy water’ marked on it–just so that it wouldn’t be confused with any other container. At Easter when we can bring home water blessed for the Easter baptisms, I usually bring that home in a small mason jar that I have marked with a tape cross. When the Easter water is gone, I just store that bottle in the closet until the next year.

We have a large urn in the church and it is always filled with holy water for people to take.

Thank you Sr Sally, FrDavid96,and Frosty. This was helpful. I do have a couple of nice glass bottles that will work for now till I can get up to the cities where they have resources for this. Thank you and God bless.

p.s. I also plan on talking with Father about blessing our humble abode hopefully in the next week.

We also keep holy water in our home. I use it to bless myself.:smiley:

Keep in mind that there are two different forms for blessing holy water - I would ask your Priest to use the traditional form (or see your nearest traditional Priest)- as the new form, outside of the Holy Saturday rite of blessing water, contains and imparts no blessing whatsoever - it is only used as a reminder of one’s baptism.

My husband was in the back of church when our pastor was blessing the water in the Holy Water dispenser. He said it was no simple blessing. Father got out his book and read some prayers in Latin, including some responses that my husband and another gentleman chimed in from memory. Father also put in a little blessed salt.

Excellent! That’s the good stuff, there! :thumbsup:

I have not heard of this. could you enlighten me a little. What is the formulated difference or if you could give me a source on this so I could read it that would be great. The Holy Water in our dispensary is from the Easter Vigil.

Here’s a link to the Rite for Providing Holy Water.
sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/48-blessings-for-special-days-and-feasts.html

What a great website, Father.

sanctamissa.org/en/resour…nd-feasts.html

Thank you. If anyone has a priest who doesn’t seem to want to look up one these blessings, one can copy them all from this site, choose the one wanted and give that to their priest!

As you know there has been many changes following the 2nd Vatican Council. All of the sacramental rites were changed, blessings were changed, a new Mass was created etc. Unfortunately not even the rite of blessing holy water was spared the fate of revision. A lot of things that changed, unfortunately, omitted specific references to the supernatural: to the soul, to death, judgment, heaven, hell, temporal punishment etc.

In the case of holy water all you have to do is compare the two rites side by side to see the stark contrast.

You can compare them for yourself below but here’s a few points:

The old rite consists of exorcising and blessing the salt, exorcising and blessing the water – then combining the blessed salt with the blessed water followed by an additional blessing of the combination with specific purposes invoked to God by the Priest. The tradition of blessing and using salt in the holy water comes from the Prophet Eliseus [Elisha].

The new rite, outside of Mass, consists of no salt and no blessing. The Priest merely requests that the water refresh us and remind us of our baptism. But, if you look at the new rite of blessing holy water during Mass (they’re two different rites; one inside Mass – one outside of Mass) which takes place during Holy Saturday you’ll see that the Priest does in fact bless the water then but the blessing is watered down (pun intended), omits the exorcism and omits the blessed salt entirely. It also omits all the specific powers requested of God found in the old rite such as protection from evil, pestilence etc… There is a demonstrable difference in the theology behind each and it is very disheartening to say the least.

Many novus ordo Priests are re-discovering the old rites especially when it comes to holy water. The differences are day and night and there’s been quite a few priests relate changes in their parishioners or have families relate differences in their spiritual lives when they use holy water blessed in the old rite.

Here are a few links of a Priest who was happy to discover the old rite – I think Fr. Z has commented on this also.

mulier-fortis.blogspot.com/2008/02/more-on-holy-water.html
mulier-fortis.blogspot.com/2008/02/more-on-holy-water.html
the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/2008/02/surprise-for-screwtape.html

I’ll post the comparisons of the rites in the following posts.

First the two different NEW rites.

This first one is the one that takes place DURING MASS at Easter time:

Lord God almighty,
hear the prayers of your people:
we celebrate our creation and redemption.
**Hear our prayers and bless + this water **
which gives fruitfulness to the fields,
and refreshment and cleansing to man.
You chose water to show your goodness
when you led your people to freedom
through the Red Sea
and satisfied their thirst in the desert
with water from the rock.
Water was the symbol used by the prophets
to foretell your new covenant with man.
You made the water of baptism holy
by Christ’s baptism in the Jordan:
by it you give us a new birth
and renew us in holiness.
**May this water remind us of our baptism,
and let us share in the joy
of all who have been baptized at Easter. **
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

Note there is a blessing but nothing more. It reminds us of our baptism and asks that we share in the joy of all who have been baptized at Easter. No exorcism, no blessed salt, no prayer for the water to assume certain spiritual qualities or the ability to bless other items, people etc…

Now here is the prayer used OUTSIDE OF MASS

Whenever the holy water font runs dry the Priest would use one of these forms. There are several of them but NONE of them contain a blessing, salt, exorcism. Not a blessing at all - unlike the form used at Holy Saturday.

Blessed are you, Lord, all powerful God,
who in Christ, the living water of salvation,
blessed and transformed us.
**Grant that, when we are sprinkled with this water or make use of it,
we will be refreshed inwardly by the power of the Holy Spirit
and continue to walk in the new life we received at baptism. **
We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Chances are the water you’re going to get at your average parish outside of Easter season is just plain, ordinary water, used to remind you of your baptism. In which case you might as well bless yourself at the church water fountain.

Now on to the old rite…

Old Rite of Blessing Holy Water

First, the exorcism and blessing of the SALT:

I exorcize thee, created element of salt,
by the living God, by the true God, by the holy God,
by God Who by the hand of Eliseus the prophet mingled thee with water in
order that the barrenness thereof might be healed; that thou mayest be made
salt from which the evil spirit hath been cast forth for the health of the faithful
and mayest bring to all who partake of thee health of soul and body: and that there
may be banished from the place in which thou shalt be sprinkled, every kind of hallucination and wickedness, or craft of devilish deceit, and every unclean spirit,
in the name of Him Who will come to judge the living and the dead and the world by fire.
Amen.

Let us pray. – We humbly entreat, O God, Thy boundless mercy and love for us,
to bless and hallow this created element of salt
, which Thou hast given to mankind
for their use, that it may make for health of mind and body to all who partake of it,
and that everything touched or sprinkled with it may be freed from all uncleanness,
and from all assaults of wicked spirits
. Through our Lord.

Then the exorcism and blessing of the water alone:

I exorcize you, creature of water, in the name
of God + the Father almighty, in the name of
Jesus + Christ his Son our Lord, and in the power of the Holy + Spirit: that you may be
water exorcized for putting all strength of the
enemy to flight, and that you may be
empowered to uproot and cast out the enemy
himself with his apostate angels
, by the power
of the same Jesus Christ our Lord: Who shall
come to judge the living and the dead, and the
world by fire. R. Amen.

Prayer:

O God, who for the salvation of the human
race have founded all the greatest mysteries
in the substance of water: be favorable to our prayers,
and pour forth the power of your blessing + upon this element
prepared with manifold purifications: so that
your creature, serving your mysteries, may take
up the effect of divine grace **for expelling
demons and driving away diseases; so that
whatsoever this water sprinkles in the homes
or places of the faithful, may be freed from all
uncleanness, and delivered from harm: may
the pestilential spirit not remain there, nor
destroying air: may all snares of the hidden
enemy depart; and if there be anything that is
hostile towards either the safety or the repose
of the inhabitants, let it flee with the sprinkling
of this water: so that the well-being asked
through the invocation of your holy name may
be defended from all that attacks it. ** Through
our Lord Jesus Christ your Son: who with you
lives and reigns in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever. R. Amen.

Blessing over the combined salt and holy water:

O God, source of invincible strength and king
of insuperable dominion, and ever magnificent
triumphant one: you who restrain the force of
the adversary’s dominion: you who overcome
the savagery of the raging enemy: you who
powerfully defeat hostile influences: trembling
and prostrate we humbly beseech and implore
you, Lord: that you may look kindly upon this
creature of salt and water, graciously illumine
and sanctify it with the dew of your mercy: that
wherever it shall be sprinkled, through the
invocation of your holy name, every infestation
of the unclean spirit may be banished: and the
terror of the venomous serpent may be driven
afar:
and may the presence of the Holy Spirit
deign to be everywhere with us, who ask your
mercy. Through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son:
who lives and reigns in the unity of the same
Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever. R. Amen.

Wow! The difference is night and day! I wouldn’t settle for anything less.

There is more info in the following link…it’s more scholarly than what I’ve provided.

liturgysociety.org/JOURNAL/Volume8/VanSlyke8.2.pdf

God Bless!!!

Thank you Father. That is a great sight. I will enjoy reading all of it in depth.

RosaryCrusader, Thank you for the time in taking to explain and lay out the differences. I had know idea till you and FrDavid96, gave links and explanations. The differences are quite astounding. I find it befuddling that they would even change the ritual.The links and explanations are most use full. Thank you and God bless.

And by the way, only 5 1/2 months left. The Roman Ritual makes a great Christmas present for your parish priest. :smiley:

:hmmm::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.