Holy Water - Keep always on hand

I can’t help but post this. Always, keep holy water on hand at home. Don’t be afraid to sprinkle the rooms of your home, bless yourself and pray the exorcism prayer used by St. Anthony, which is: Behold the Cross of the Lord. Begone, ye enemy powers. The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David has conquered. Alleluia, Alleluia! Amen.

Thanks for the reminder, ConservativeOne! I keep a tiny bowl–a minifont–of holy water on my altar (which is near my bed) and bless myself each morning, or really anytime I feel I need it. Some people think this is superstitious and/or paranoid, but we need to realize our true enemy is spiritual! Hearing stories about exorcisms and exorcists, and hearing from them myself, helps me to remember the persistence of the devil.

I have another tip: blessed salt. You may use it to cook for healing purposes. Remember, with God, anything is possible! The other day, my dad’s leg was hurting so bad he could hardly walk. I also had a bad cold, strangely. I put blessed salt in our lunch. The next day, we were both fine! A beautiful sacramental, a very functional reminder that we are salt for the earth.

Another powerful exorcism prayer:

**In the name of Jesus, I bind you any spirit not of the Holy Spirit, and send you to the foot of the cross to be judged by our Lord. **

(except I say “we bind you” because I always picture that it’s Mama Mary and my Guardian Angel doing the job :smiley: )

saint-mike.org/library/Curia/Congregations/Faith/Exorcisms.html

We must avoid addressing the demon directly and to find out his name and – I add – anything else. All other considerations aside, a direct dialogue with the demon can be dangerous to anyone who dares to initiate it without the due authorization of the Church, and therefor without her protection.

You should use the prayer to saint michael insted:
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle;
be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
cast (thrust) into hell Satan and all (other) evil spirits
who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Or if you prefer latin:

Sancte Michael Archangele,
defende nos in proelio.
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur:
tuque, Princeps militiae caelestis,
Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos,
qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo,
divina virtute, in infernum detrude.
Amen

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_to_Saint_Michael

Thanks to Sabriner…I hadn’t thought of blessed salt (how do you get it - do you bring to priest for blessing?) I thought blessed salt was used only by the priest in particular religious ceremonies. Using it in your food - an interesting idea, if Holy Mother the Church approves…good idea.

Yes, I, too, keep a bottle of Holy Water on my bedtable - What’s strange is I use it before going to bed - but never thought of using upon waking. Thanks for the suggestions - and God bless you.

We keep a “goodly” supply of holy water in our house, too! With little finger bowls, strategically placed… throughout the rooms! This makes it easy, to bless oneself… all throughout the day! :thumbsup:

In addition to the prayers to St. Michael and St. Anthony, also ask St. Benedict for his intercession… with use of a St. Benedict medal. The St. Benedict medal is known to be particularly strong protection against demonic activity.

Thanks for the reminder, “CO”! God bless. :slight_smile:

Yup. There’s even a special prayer for it, I think. I got salt blessed the other day by a good priest. (My friend told me stories about asking to have salt blessed by other priests, and some will look at you weird, because it’s one of those “older” and more “traditional” practices, apparently.)

I recently read this here. Read the whole thing, it really is interesting!

"As a Catholic sacramental, salt blessed by the liturgical prayer of a priest may be used by itself, unmixed, as in exorcisms, and formerly in the exorcistic prayer at baptism, or it may be mixed with water to make holy water, as the Ritual prescribes (reminiscent of Elisha’s miracle). In whichever form, it is intended to be an instrument of grace to preserve one from the corruption of evil occurring as sin sickness, demonic influence, or other manifestation.

Thus used non-superstitiously, modest amounts of salt may be sprinkled in one’s bedroom, or across thresholds to prevent burglary, in cars for safety, etc. A few grains in drinking water or used in cooking or as food seasoning often bring astonishing spiritual and physical benefits, as I have personally witnessed many times. As with the use of Sacraments, much depends on the faith and devotion of the person using salt or any sacramental. This faith must be Jesus-centered, as was the faith of the blind man in John 9; he had faith in Jesus, not in the mud and spittle used by Jesus to heal him."

Oh, St. Benedict medals! Yes MarieVeronica. I forgot about that. And really, the rosary beads itself is very useful. I’ve heard stories about a certain exorcist with the rosary. And of course, St. Dominic’s famous one. Just as water and salt are “ordained” by God as sacramentals because of their amazing symbolism, so is the Rosary, because Mama Mary will be the one to crush the serpent’s head!

Thank you dear friend.

I recently moved house and don’t have holy water here. I’ll get some more and take your advice. I’m living by myself for a change ( not sharing a place ) and absolutely love it. I have a peculiar lifestyle where I’ll stay up real late often and sleep in a bit or a ciesta afer lunch so it suits me great to be by myself. People get bugged by my late arrival home or staying up all night. I am self employed so my hours are mine to choose. I am happy if my work produces my daily bread. I trust God will care and provide for me. He always has. I just do a little and my sweet Heaveny Father provides. I am enjoying life. More holy water would just make it better. I’ve been meaning to order more Lourdes and Fatima holy water too. Thanks for reminding me.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

I always keep a supply of holy water in my house. I have three holy water bottles (the kind you can splash things with) and an old soda bottle filled with holy water. :slight_smile:

How does a person obtain a “good supply” of holy water?

I’ve been feeling particularly assaulted by the enemy as of late, and feel that having this on hand might help. I already wear a St. Benedict crucifix. In fact, the other night, when I felt a great evil stirring in my bedroom (because I had sinned and invited it, really :() I said a prayer to St. Michael and clutched my crucifix until I felt the evil leave. I actually used to be skeptical of this kind of thing until then!

Epistemes, in many parishes there’s a container with holy water somewhere in the church and you can just take some. Usually I’ve found these are the more ‘traditional’ parishes…but it varies.

I think keeping holy water at home is a great idea. There were times when I felt like there’s something really ‘evil’ in my room and I sprinkled it around, blessed myself with the water, and put on my Rosary… and it really helped :thumbsup:

I like the St Michael prayer too.

Epistimes,

From what I’ve seen of the parishes I’ve been to, holy water in churches that only have the small fonts at the doors also (everywhere I’ve been) have a silver “decanter” thermos-like to get a bottle full of holy water. In parishes that have the big baptismal pools, you can just put your holy water bottle down in it to fill it. If you can’t find either of these - ask the priest! Also, some Catholic bookstores have large containers of holy water (since they sell the bottles).

I make a point of carrying holy water in the car during Lent, in case I run across an empty/sand-filled/rock-filled holy water font. (Fortunately, I didn’t find any last Lent – but I was ready, just in case.)

:D:D

wow. we sure could’ve used you last Lent!

the weirdest thing i’ve ever seen in a holy water font is glitter. !

I have always a bottle of Holy Lourdes water in my house . If you can not fly to Lourdes , you can order Lourdes Water here lourdes-water.org .Perhaps it could help some of you

Thank you very much for this reminder. I have not been using holy water lately, but I know it's wise to take full advantage of what the Church provides for our benefit, so I should!

I always keep Holy Water in our home .......I have a little tiny bowl filled all the time, next to the feet of a statue of Our Lady, so I can bless myself and sometimes sprinkle it around.

We have kept holy water in the house for a time now, but rarely used it. We are attempting to change that (went to 2 pilgrimage sights over vacation last week and put a font beside the door of the house when we got home).

Will see if we can change our habits, but the old habits need changing.

Hi All,

I'm gonna ask the dumb question here. :blush: Why would someone put sand/rocks/glitter in a holy water font during lent or any other time of the year? I don't see what their point would be, other than to degrade the font or the faith. Can someone enlighten me about this? :o

Don’t feel bad…that was exactly what I was thinking. I didn’t know this was a problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.