Holy Water on the Parishoners

I guess this would be the thread to ask. Three years ago when I first became a member of the Catholic Chruch, all the catechumens & their sponsors were the ones to do this. The sponsors held bowls of holy water & the catechumens were assigned each an aisle (large church) & sprinkled the members of the congregation & others who were there using some plant, though, I cannot remember what kind.

I’ve been to three Easter Vigil’s at two church’s and this hasn’t been repeated at either one. It’s been the priest who has done the holy water thing with somebody else carrying a bucket & he has a…water septer shaker thing.

Has ANYBODY else known of any other church to do the former, or, is this just an abuse or something. I’m guessing if catechumens did something that the priest is SUPPOSED to do…it can’t be good.

Thanks for the information & replies in advance.

You’re correct in your assumption, as far as I know. Not good. Never heard of anyone else do this, but I wouldn’t be altogether too surprised. It’s just silliness having laypeople bless each other like that.

I’ve never heard of anyone outside of Holy Orders undertaking the Asperges. Sounds weird.

[quote=adstrinity]I guess this would be the thread to ask. Three years ago when I first became a member of the Catholic Chruch, all the catechumens & their sponsors were the ones to do this. The sponsors held bowls of holy water & the catechumens were assigned each an aisle (large church) & sprinkled the members of the congregation & others who were there using some plant, though, I cannot remember what kind.

I’ve been to three Easter Vigil’s at two church’s and this hasn’t been repeated at either one. It’s been the priest who has done the holy water thing with somebody else carrying a bucket & he has a…water septer shaker thing.

Has ANYBODY else known of any other church to do the former, or, is this just an abuse or something. I’m guessing if catechumens did something that the priest is SUPPOSED to do…it can’t be good.

[/quote]

the rite is part of the Easter Vigil, called the asperges, and the branch is I believe laurel, I will have to look it up, very ancient, priest or deacon is supposed to sprinkle the people with the newly blessed holy water from the baptismal font. We did it last night while the baptized were changing clothes, deacon assisted by altar servers. In no way should the catechumens take any liturgical role before baptism, the do not even carry a lit candle when the paschal candle is lighted. If you mean the newly baptized assisted with the sprinkling that is not provided for in the rite, I suppose they could assist although I don’t see the point of doing what is not in the rite.

[quote=adstrinity]I guess this would be the thread to ask. Three years ago when I first became a member of the Catholic Chruch, all the catechumens & their sponsors were the ones to do this. The sponsors held bowls of holy water & the catechumens were assigned each an aisle (large church) & sprinkled the members of the congregation & others who were there using some plant, though, I cannot remember what kind.

[/quote]

In the celebration of the Mass the priest or deacon is the only one allowed to do this. During our Retreat for Holy Saturday there was available Blessed Water from Lourdes and Blessed oil (a sacramental for lay anointing) from Our Lady of Consolation Shrine available for the Catechumens and Candidates as well as their Sponsors to bless themselves or each other with. (we just asked that they not Baptize their Catechumen at the Retreat!)

[quote=puzzleannie]the rite is part of the Easter Vigil, called the asperges, and the branch is I believe laurel, I will have to look it up, very ancient, priest or deacon is supposed to sprinkle the people with the newly blessed holy water from the baptismal font. We did it last night while the baptized were changing clothes, deacon assisted by altar servers. In no way should the catechumens take any liturgical role before baptism, the do not even carry a lit candle when the paschal candle is lighted. If you mean the newly baptized assisted with the sprinkling that is not provided for in the rite, I suppose they could assist although I don’t see the point of doing what is not in the rite.
[/quote]

We did it the same way, with two deacons, the celbrant was changing his clothes - we have a walk in pool. It is a good way to save a bit of time and keep things moving.

Brother is right, only priest or deacon may do the sprinkling. Also it may be done before the main Mass each Sunday as an optional right, the psalm intoned changes with the liturgical season, and priest must be vested in color of the season. it is both a recollection of baptism and a penitential right

Thank you all for the replies. :slight_smile: I don’t remember WHEN it was done & if the unbaptised partiscipated or not, but, I was already baptised from another church, so…

BUT, that doesn’t make a difference in this case, does it?

Ah well…ONE of the reasons I no longer go to that church.

They were extra ordinmary minister of Holy water. :rotfl:

Priests and deacons should be the ones to normally do the sprinkling of the water, however, I think altar servers and others can be asked to assist in this, particularly if it is a very large church.

The same way we can have laity distribute ashes on Ash Wednesday I would assume you can have lay people, in addition to priests/deacons, help to distribute the other sacramental of holy water.

The catechuman issue is a whole 'nother can of worms, I would imagine that any laity who helped would have to be practicing Catholics in the same way as any other lay assisting role (reader, extrodinary minister of Holy Communion, altar server, etc…).

+veritas+

[quote=adstrinity]the holy water thing with somebody else carrying a bucket & he has a…water septer shaker thing.
[/quote]

Ads,

Just for the record, the “bucket” is a sacred liturgical vessel and is called the aspersorium. The “water scepter shaker thing” is likewise a sacred liturgical vessel and is called the aspergillium or aspergill.

Many years,

Neil

Hmmmmmmmmmm…

I went to an Easter Vigil and “none of the above” was done!

After the baptisms, the priest invited the parishioners to walk to the baptismal font and cross ourselves with the newly blessed Holy Water. He did not process around the congregation.

Curious if this was an “ok” way to do it.

-Michael

[quote=SouthCoast]Hmmmmmmmmmm…

I went to an Easter Vigil and “none of the above” was done!

After the baptisms, the priest invited the parishioners to walk to the baptismal font and cross ourselves with the newly blessed Holy Water. He did not process around the congregation.

Curious if this was an “ok” way to do it.

-Michael
[/quote]

Yes. This is sometimes done if extra time is needed for those changing clothes. By the way the branch used to sprinkle is Hissup (sp?)

[quote=Irish Melkite]Ads,

Just for the record, the “bucket” is a sacred liturgical vessel and is called the aspersorium. The “water scepter shaker thing” is likewise a sacred liturgical vessel and is called the aspergillium or aspergill.

Neil
[/quote]

Yes, and the vegetable Asparagus gets it’s name from the similarity it has to the aspergillium.

Remember that the next time you watch VeggieTales :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.