Holy Water What are the Benefits and Why?

What is the benefit of holy water? What is the evidence for this? If we really believed this why wouldn’t we have every material thing we have blessed or treated as a sacramental? In other words why would we only bestow these benefits on some things and not others?

Thanks,

I personally use Holy Water everyday. Both in the morning and just before bed. You do know you can have a Priest come to your house and bless it. Some Churches bless cars. Personally I use as many sacramentals as I can!

3 Likes

Actually quite a lot of things can be blessed by your priest, including holy water.

1 Like

One slight caution here: those who seek evidence are in essence asking for a sign before they will believe. What does our Lord say of that?

The Catholic encyclopedia will explain much regarding holy water.

2 Likes

I believe in the powers of Holy water for sure.

https://www.catholicshare.com/8-powerful-ways-use-holy-water/#axzz5lMBURWYa

4 Likes

Types of Holy Water by Msgr Charles Pope

Holy Water & It’s Significance for Catholics

ETA
The Effects of Holy Water by Henry Theiler

1 Like

What powers do you mean?

The blessing formula said by the priest says holy water refreshes the new life received at baptism. It’s a sacramental that refreshes and reminds us of Baptism, helps protect against evil and helps to cleanse venial sin. St Teresa of Avila said the Devil flees from holy water quicker than from anything else.

Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again;
but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
John 4:13-14

Holy water is this water that Jesus gives. It comes to us in baptism and continually wells up to eternal life in us.

Holy water is a sign of this water, something that renews and refreshes us.

My Priest blessed our house and all of my rosaries and crucifixes around the house.

2 Likes

Catechism

1668 Sacramentals are instituted for the sanctification of certain ministries of the Church, certain states of life, a great variety of circumstances in Christian life, and the use of many things helpful to man. In accordance with bishops’ pastoral decisions, they can also respond to the needs, culture, and special history of the Christian people of a particular region or time. They always include a prayer, often accompanied by a specific sign, such as the laying on of hands, the sign of the cross, or the sprinkling of holy water (which recalls Baptism).

1670 Sacramentals do not confer the grace of the Holy Spirit in the way that the sacraments do, but by the Church’s prayer, they prepare us to receive grace and dispose us to cooperate with it. "For well-disposed members of the faithful, the liturgy of the sacraments and sacramentals sanctifies almost every event of their lives with the divine grace which flows from the Paschal mystery of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of Christ. From this source all sacraments and sacramentals draw their power. There is scarcely any proper use of material things which cannot be thus directed toward the sanctification of men and the praise of God."176

1 Like

Cleansing of Evil spirits.

If it works on demons, that’s reason enough for me. :innocent:

2 Likes

Thanks CRV. These where very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks Vico this helps!

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.