Holy Water?

can i just ask my priest for holy water??? do i need to bring my own container? if so what kind of bottle? will he give it to me?? thanks

Dear MaeganFlinchum1–

I have attended several Catholic Masses at a local church. The priests were so kind and sweet! I love the tradition of crossing yourself with the holy water upon entering the sanctuary. Anyway, the priest told me I could bring my own container and come in any time to get some holy water to have at home. :slight_smile:

I am not familiar enough with Catholic tradition to know if this is something that every church would offer. But my local church does, even though I’m not even Catholic.

Jala

Most parishes have a metal container of holy water somewhere in the nave, often near the doors. You can take it as you like, and you usually, but not always, have to have your own container. So take one anyway. If you cannot find the holy water, ask someone.

I should have thought to add–I also don’t know if there is any sort of restriction on what type of container may be used. I don’t want to offend by doing something inappropriate out of sheer ignorance, so I did go to a Catholic store and bought some plastic bottles that are made especially for holy water. I figured I would be safe that way! :wink:

Jala

My parish did use at one point new medicine bottles. Ya know, the ones that have a brownish red tent…you could use a used (but thoroughly cleaned) medicine bottle with the stickers taken off.

Can a person just bring a bottle of water and ask the Priest to turn it to Holy water? oh yea and another thing i thought was interseting, Numbers 5:17 speaks of Holy Water :thumbsup: God bless

My church doesn't have a separate container for parishoners to take holy water from, but we're welcome to take it from the baptismal font. I made the mistake of trying to fill my bottle after mass one day and inadvertently blocked someone who was trying to bless themselves on their way out. Did I ever get a dirty glare! Now I go really early to Mass to fill the bottle when no one is around.

I was always taught that you shouldn't use a contaminated container. But then again, I'm old. Maybe the rules have changed. You can buy a bottle especially for that purpose at any Catholic bookstore or supply store, or online, starting at about $2.

[quote="CountrySteve, post:6, topic:300960"]
Can a person just bring a bottle of water and ask the Priest to turn it to Holy water? oh yea and another thing i thought was interseting, Numbers 5:17 speaks of Holy Water :thumbsup: God bless

[/quote]

They need to bless the water, (say the formula or prayers) and mix a pinch of salt or something. :)

Yep.

Most parishes I know either have a metal “tank” with a spigot or (if they have a baptismal pool) you can take the water from the baptismal pool. You should not take water from a font/stoop that is only for use by people who wish to bless themselves.

If you visit shrines or place like that you might be able to purchase a small plastic bottle that is already filled with holy water. (Note that you are buying the bottle, not the water in it.)

would it be acceptable to buy holy water in a bottle from amazon? would i have to get it blessed?

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:10, topic:300960"]
would it be acceptable to buy holy water in a bottle from amazon? would i have to get it blessed?

[/quote]

No, it does not have to be blessed, and yes, you can use any clean container. Those bottles that Frappucino comes in are a nice size.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:11, topic:300960"]
No, it does not have to be blessed, and yes, you can use any clean container. Those bottles that Frappucino comes in are a nice size.

[/quote]

would it be ok to just bring a disposable plastic bottle?? like a water bottle.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:12, topic:300960"]
would it be ok to just bring a disposable plastic bottle?? like a water bottle.

[/quote]

I don't see why not.

My church has an urn for holy water in the foyer/narthex. It is the metal tank with spigot kind. I do have a plastic bottle sold especially to hold Holy Water, although I have also used a clean glass (pint mason) jar.

At Easter I bring a bigger bottle (like the mason jar) to take the water blessed for the Easter baptisms home.

When we went to Fatima, I collected water from the fountain (regular water, not like the blessed water at Lourdes) and asked the priest travelling with us to bless it.

I usually put a bit of salt in the container to keep the water from turning green if we don't use it up quickly.

The Holy Water blessed at the Easter Vigil has an exorcism blessing. Stock up and use abundently!

Any bottle so long as it's clean and not irreverant.

[quote="CountrySteve, post:6, topic:300960"]

[/quote]

When my house was blessed I just filled a bowl with water and the priest blessed it there.

Also I have seen someone with an ordinary drink bottle for a container with Holy water

I would bring my own container. Some churches have holy water available for those who would like some. You could always ask the priest or deacon to bless the water for you and then it would be holy water.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.