Holy Week - Which Mass(es) do you attend?

With Holy Week just around the corner, I was curious as to which masses you attend. You can pick all that apply.

And “no Mass” was not an option - on purpose! :slight_smile:

I voted for all of the above. The Triduum is the most awesome experience for me annually. I can’t get enough of it. We also have an all night Adoration on Holy Thursday, and I am always signed out for an hour of the night. After all…Didn’t Jesus say…Stay with me, Remain here with me…Watch and Pray.

The Veneration of the Cross is an experience, I cannot resist. More people should try it!

Happy and a Blessed Easter to Everyone!

All of them make up a complete mass. I go to all of them.

[quote=stbruno]I voted for all of the above. The Triduum is the most awesome experience for me annually. I can’t get enough of it. We also have an all night Adoration on Holy Thursday, and I am always signed out for an hour of the night. After all…Didn’t Jesus say…Stay with me, Remain here with me…Watch and Pray.

The Veneration of the Cross is an experience, I cannot resist. More people should try it!

Happy and a Blessed Easter to Everyone!
[/quote]

You’re enthusiasm is wonderful! I’m approaching Easter this year with a whole new outlook - I’ve never experienced an Easter like this before, with full knowledge of the meaning of it all.

I remember going every day as a kid, but this year I can’t do that unfortunately. Work schedule simply doesn’t allow me to go on Holy Thursday. But I’ll be going on Good Friday here in my own parish, and Saturday I’ll be on a plane on my way to visit my whole family (and brand new niece!) for Easter Sunday. I’m so excited!

I will need to drive 80 miles to attend Mass on Holy Thursday that will not have women on the alter during the washing of the feet, and 50 miles to find a church that uses a crucifix for Good Friday Veneration … but I’ll be at all the services during Holy Week.

In His Peace.

The Triduum is the most awesome experience of the liturgical year, for me. I wouldn’t dream of missing a moment of it, if it’s within my power to be there. And this year I will be at Easter Sunday Mass because I am scheduled as an EMHC. What a Most Holy day that will be for me.

Peace of Christ to All

Also Morning Prayer Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the Chrism Mass on Monday.

I go to mass every day of the year; so I don’t make any exceptions for Holy Week. I go to the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Maundy Thursday, Stations and the Church Service on Good Friday, The Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday Evening, and the Tridentine High Mass on Easter Sunday.

In the past, I have gone to church on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil (that started the year I became Catholic- the year before, I went to Easter Sunday). I have also attended a Seder Meal most years (if anyone has not gone to one, and has the opportunity to, they should- it is a great experience). I cannot go to a Seder Meal this year. I’m not sure what I’m doing this year yet- I cannot drive, and it is especially difficult this year to find rides to church. I’m going to the Easter Vigil for sure though. :slight_smile:

Michael

I have also attended a Seder Meal most years (if anyone has not gone to one, and has the opportunity to, they should- it is a great experience). I cannot go to a Seder Meal this year.

Of course, Passover doesn’t always correspond with Easter, and it doesn’t this year, the first day of Passover isn’t until April 24.

holy thursday for me and my wife. we met eachother on a blind date(of course after Mass) holy thursday or 1991.

All of them plus all the stations of the cross.

****I attend all of the above as well as the Office of Tenebrae on Spy Wednesday evening.

Tenebrae is the Office of Matins for Holy Thursday. It was sung by the monks at the very early hours of the morning, when it was still dark. It can be celebrated on Wednesday evening after sunset.

Tenebrae is Latin for dark or darkness. It starts out with 15 candles lit in the sanctuary. After one of the psalms is sung, a candle is extinguished until there is only one candle left. The last candle represents Jesus Christ, the light of the world. The acolyte carries the candle out of the sanctuary so the church is completely dark, signifying the death of Christ. The people then bang the pews to make a loud noise representing the earthquake when Christ died. After everyone is done banging on the pews (usually resulting in sore hands for about 5 minutes) the candle is brought back, representing Christ’s Resurrection.

I attend Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday at the Institute of Christ the King. I love the Tridentine Rite during the Sacred Triduum.

Holy Thursday Mass is very solemn, but much like a Sunday Mass except the clackers are used at consecration instead of the bells and, of course, the procession with the Blessed Sacrament to the repository and the stripping of the altar. While the altar is being stripped, the choir sings Psalm 21 (22) “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?”

Good Friday Liturgy is the Mass of the Pre-Sanctified, as the Institute uses the 1956 Missal instead of the 1962 Missal. They have permission from the Holy See to use the 1956 Missal. While there is no consecration of bread, the priest does offer water and wine before distribution of Holy Communion. I don’t know why this is done, as I’m not familiar with the 1956 Missal. I’ll ask the priest what is done and why.

Holy Saturday is a little different than the Paul VI Missal, as there are only four Old Testament readings, an epistle and the Gospel. The bells are rung during the singing of the Gloria and all the lights are turned on. Christ is Risen! Alleluia!

Easter Sunday is beautiful with the choir singing “Jesus Christ is Risen Today” during the procession. The rest of the Mass resembles a Sunday Mass except with a much more joyous tone as Christ is risen from the dead and has conquered sin. The Nicene Creed is sung instead of the renewal of baptismal vows.

If anyone has an Institute of Christ the King parish nearby, take the opportunity to go to one, if not all, the Masses during the Sacred Triduum.

I usually go to Holy Thursday and the Easter Vigil.

PF

We usually go to Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil. This year may be an exception though as my wife is due to give birth to our first child on Easter Sunday.

I am so excited - for the first time in a long time, our family is not traveling Holy Week, which made it virtually impossile to attend Holy Thursday and Good Friday evening Masses etc. But not this year! I am going to both!!

Yes Tenebrae was not an option and I go to that too.
Kathy

[quote=Swiss Guard]I attend all of the above as well as the Office of Tenebrae on Spy Wednesday evening.

Tenebrae is the Office of Matins for Holy Thursday. It was sung by the monks at the very early hours of the morning, when it was still dark. It can be celebrated on Wednesday evening after sunset.

Tenebrae is Latin for dark or darkness. It starts out with 15 candles lit in the sanctuary. After one of the psalms is sung, a candle is extinguished until there is only one candle left. The last candle represents Jesus Christ, the light of the world. The acolyte carries the candle out of the sanctuary so the church is completely dark, signifying the death of Christ. The people then bang the pews to make a loud noise representing the earthquake when Christ died. After everyone is done banging on the pews (usually resulting in sore hands for about 5 minutes) the candle is brought back, representing Christ’s Resurrection.

I attend Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday at the Institute of Christ the King. I love the Tridentine Rite during the Sacred Triduum.

Holy Thursday Mass is very solemn, but much like a Sunday Mass except the clackers are used at consecration instead of the bells and, of course, the procession with the Blessed Sacrament to the repository and the stripping of the altar. While the altar is being stripped, the choir sings Psalm 21 (22) “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?”

Good Friday Liturgy is the Mass of the Pre-Sanctified, as the Institute uses the 1956 Missal instead of the 1962 Missal. They have permission from the Holy See to use the 1956 Missal. While there is no consecration of bread, the priest does offer water and wine before distribution of Holy Communion. I don’t know why this is done, as I’m not familiar with the 1956 Missal. I’ll ask the priest what is done and why.

Holy Saturday is a little different than the Paul VI Missal, as there are only four Old Testament readings, an epistle and the Gospel. The bells are rung during the singing of the Gloria and all the lights are turned on. Christ is Risen! Alleluia!

Easter Sunday is beautiful with the choir singing “Jesus Christ is Risen Today” during the procession. The rest of the Mass resembles a Sunday Mass except with a much more joyous tone as Christ is risen from the dead and has conquered sin. The Nicene Creed is sung instead of the renewal of baptismal vows.

If anyone has an Institute of Christ the King parish nearby, take the opportunity to go to one, if not all, the Masses during the Sacred Triduum.
[/quote]

Swiss Guard:
Do you think you can take me to your parish? I would love to attend,
Also, Swiss Guard there are supposted to be 12 readings on Holy Saturday but the priests shorten it to 4 for convenience. I learned this from ctngreg list, right?

[quote=katolik]Swiss Guard:
Do you think you can take me to your parish? I would love to attend,
Also, Swiss Guard there are supposted to be 12 readings on Holy Saturday but the priests shorten it to 4 for convenience. I learned this from ctngreg list, right?
[/quote]

I don’t go to my parish for Holy Week, as everything is from the Paul VI Missal. My parish has a very reverent Novus Ordo Mass and Holy Week, but I prefer the Tridentine Mass for Holy Week. I go to St. Mary’s Oratory in Rockford, which is run by the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest. I go to Tenebrae at St. John Cantius in Chicago. They have the Tridentine Mass, but for the Sacred Triduum everything is the Novus Ordo in Latin. It is done very reverent as at my parish, but like I said, it’s not the Tridentine Mass.

I’m not sure about the number of prophecies read at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday. I checked my 1958 Missal and it only has four readings. I know only four prophecies are read at St. Mary’s on Holy Saturday and they use the 1956 Missal. I don’t know if they are now using the 1958 Missal.

I will ask the rector of St. Mary’s if it’s true that the number of prophecies read at the Easter Vigil was shortened from 12 to four for convenience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.