Holy

Growing up, I’ve always thought “holy” was a word just for God. Why do you call the Pope, Holy Father or Mary, Holy Mother of God?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Just lookin for an answer. :smiley:

The word “holy” is used almost 600 times in the Bible, many times refering to ground, smoke, offerings, people, and of course God.

Remember, we are suppose to be “holy and blameless in His sight.”

[quote=E.E.N.S.]The word “holy” is used almost 600 times in the Bible, many times refering to ground, smoke, offerings, people, and of course God.

Remember, we are suppose to be “holy and blameless in His sight.”
[/quote]

Thank you! I figured there’d be a simple answer to it. :thumbsup:

[quote=Laud_God]Growing up, I’ve always thought “holy” was a word just for God. Why do you call the Pope, Holy Father or Mary, Holy Mother of God?

Thanks. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

**Holy can be anything that is devoted entirely to the diety or the work of the diety. **

thus you have the Holy land…or Holy people, and the Jewish people (including Jesus) had a place called the Holy of Holies (the sacred Chamber of the Jewish tabernacle and the temple.) Mary herself was the tabernacle of G-d, the arc of the covenant…and her womb was the “place” G-d dwelt for nine months…so if G-d can make a mountain a Holy place where he dwelled…why not a woman’s womb?

Matt, the Semitic word translated as “Holy” indicates a separateness from the profane. God is first of all THE Holy One, completely transcendent from His Creation; anything that touches upon His holiness, such as a particular location like the Temple in Jerusalem, or persons such as the Blessed Virgin Mary who is the new Ark of the Covenant, become holy by their relationship with Him, separated from the ordinary. This, of course, is our calling in Christ: to be a holy people, set apart for God.

Did you know that in Latin (or is it Greek?) there are no superlatives? (Example --Big, bigger, biggest)

So in order to show that something is bigger than something else, the word would be repeated: big big or big big big.

This is why “Holy” is repeated three times at Mass, because Jesus is the Holiest of all things Holy! Isn’t that cool?!

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord
God of Power and Might
Heaven and earth are full of Your Glory
Hosanna in the Highest!
Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord
Hosanna in the Highest!

[quote=Didi]Did you know that in Latin (or is it Greek?) there are no superlatives? (Example --Big, bigger, biggest)

So in order to show that something is bigger than something else, the word would be repeated: big big or big big big.

This is why “Holy” is repeated three times at Mass, because Jesus is the Holiest of all things Holy! Isn’t that cool?!

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord
God of Power and Might
Heaven and earth are full of Your Glory
Hosanna in the Highest!
Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord
Hosanna in the Highest!
[/quote]

I don’t know where you got the idea that there are no superlatives in Latin or Greek. Latin is replete with both forms. In koine Greek they are more attenuated, and they tend to overlap, but they certainly do exist.

Maybe it’s Aramaic? I heard it from Scott Hahn on EWTN quite some time ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.