Home-birth

Anyone know of any good books or videos on home-birth, assisted or unassisted?

Business of Being Born is a good video. Same people wrote "Your Best Birth". Or Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.

[quote="MrsNoahMoerbeek, post:1, topic:232831"]
Anyone know of any good books or videos on home-birth, assisted or unassisted?

[/quote]

Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis or Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. I caution everyone against unassisted unless your husband happens to be a paramedic who has resuscitation equipment in your home and can maintain his wits to use them in an emergency that involves his wife or newborn child. Find a good and experienced midwife to at least be present, she can be in another room, but at least she and an assistant can be close by if need be. Sacred Scripture mentions midwives for a reason......

[quote="ThereseOfRoses, post:3, topic:232831"]
Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis or Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. I caution everyone against unassisted unless your husband happens to be a paramedic who has resuscitation equipment in your home and can maintain his wits to use them in an emergency that involves his wife or newborn child. Find a good and experienced midwife to at least be present, she can be in another room, but at least she and an assistant can be close by if need be. Sacred Scripture mentions midwives for a reason......

[/quote]

Oh, midwife is the definite desire! Unassisted is a last resort, we just had an AWFUL hospital experience (although my friend had one that was worse in a way...a very snotty doctor that decided to not come when there was a possible emergency because she called a lie of his on the carpet so to speak...was quite the snob thoughout, actually...she said she was luck she couldn't walk because of the epidural, he was so nasty!!!). We both agreed that (unless something went wrong, of course, or there were signs of it) unassisted is not the route we want to go, yet, unless a midwife is impossible. Things are looking good though, I have an interview with a midwife on the 29th of this month, so if she approves me, woo-hoo!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.