Home: No place for Bible study

A San Diego pastor and his wife claim they were interrogated by a county official and warned they will face escalating fines if they continue to hold Bible studies in their home.

The couple, whose names are being withheld until a demand letter can be filed on their behalf, told their attorney a county government employee knocked on their door on Good Friday, asking a litany of questions about their Tuesday night Bible studies, which are attended by approximately 15 people.

“Do you have a regular weekly meeting in your home? Do you sing? Do you say ‘amen’?” the official reportedly asked. “Do you say, ‘Praise the Lord’?”

The pastor’s wife answered yes.

She says she was then told, however, that she must stop holding “religious assemblies” until she and her husband obtain a Major Use Permit from the county, a permit that often involves traffic and environmental studies, compliance with parking and sidewalk regulations and costs that top tens of thousands of dollars.

“The First Amendment, in part, reads, ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’” Broyles said. “And that’s the key part: ‘prohibiting the free exercise.’ We believe this is a substantial government burden on the free exercise of religion.”

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=98895

Wow, that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. We have truely enter a frightening day in history if this story is true…

yeah, especially when you look at who is running this nation. the day may be fast approaching when we have the ‘Americian Catholic Church’ as the offically sanctioned and allowed place of worship, and anyone who wants to be Roman Catholic(or any onon goverment approved church) will have to worship underground.

As far as I am concerned, many governments at all levels are close to being, if not already, illegitimate due to their unjust laws and mandates.

:eek: That is just disgusting. :mad:

Lemme at that government employee…
:slapfight:

It’s either a hoax or we’re not getting the full story.

My guess is that the county is responding to neighbor complaints (e.g. traffic, parking, noise, etc.) and treating this like someone running a business out of their home.

The county’s actions won’t stand up in court, so I’m confident it will get rectified.

That was my first thought. I’ be interested to know if they are also cracking down on Tupperware parties.

The county’s actions won’t stand up in court, so I’m confident it will get rectified.

It sure will, given the questions asked which demonstrated an animus against religion. it might have stood a court challenge if the questions had been, "How often do you hold meetings?, “How many attend?”, “Where do they park?”, “How late do the meetings run?”, &c, &c.

I’m a renter but I’m often amazed at the petty tyrannies perpetuated under the guise of zoning laws. Then there are neighborhood assn. rules :frowning: :confused: :mad: !!!

I suspect they could hold a homosexual orgy in their home once a week, and nobody would bat an eye.

In fact, they might get a commendation from the city for helping to promote diversity and progressive values.

There’s always more to every story than what’s in print. Yet sadly, while there must be more to it, I suspect the story likely got most of the facts straight. I’ll be interested to read the follow up stories on this situation.

bat an eye, heck in california thatd get you a medal and parade. that state is a sad scene.

My guess is that after review, the county will revise the statutes: no more than 5 people at a time at these meetings (if they’re going to be once a week), stuff like that. Not making the meetings illegal, but making them both controlled and inconvenient.

One option is to rotate the meeting places. It’s much harder for the neighbors to complain if the couple holds those meetings there only once a month or once every other month. Another option is instead of “bible study”, they have that old standby of Americana:

Bridge club.

Although some will deny it, bridge is NOT a religion. It IS a way for larger groups of people to get together without raising suspicion. Throw in a potluck or two, and no one will raise and eyebrow (especially if they rotate the meeting places). In Poland, the Solidarity group would meet by advertising showings of “Quo Vadis” at the churches. The government spies would be in the crowds too, but they would get bored and leave early. When they left, the meetings would begin.

They might do an even better job of hiding if instead of bridge, they played Texas Hold’Em. At least then the occasional cries of “Hallelujah!” or singing about “gathering at the river” would not be out of place.

I googled this story and got a lot of sources.

This is the most ridiculous form of Constitutional annihilation there is.

What if you had a large family that would meet every week for dinner?
Would that be prohibitive too?

Seriously, this is against the rights we obtained from our forefathers.

:slapfight: - Anyway - the more i hear the less patience i have with this government of busybodies. Soon we may not be able to vote them out of office if they mandate a dictatorship - and its slipping that way it would seem.

LOL Wols.

to me this is the straw that breaks the camels back. i had no plans to visit, but i know i will NEVER go to california now. it is a lawless land with 0 authority because the government is so unjust it has lost any credible claim to rule. if i did live their it would be tie to move or rebel-not like they could afford to fight back.

I don’t think it is a hoax, but I do believe we aren’t getting the full story. There seems to be no MSM coverage of this issue, which makes me think that the law group which is representing the pastor and wife aren’t being very forthcoming. I’d like to learn more, but no information is available.

I think there must be more to this. In these financially hard times, local governments should put their resources towards dealing with serious issues. At the very least to harass people for a Bible study is a poor use of funds. At the most, wouldn’t it violate the First Amendment and the free exercise of religiion? Sometimes, all this makes my head ache.

The AFA states it is real.

Yes, and multiple news sites are also reporting it real, too. Please see this other thread on the topic:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=342276

As in China :frowning:

exactly what i was getting at

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.