Home Shrine Question

Lately I’ve really been wanting to set aside a space in my home that would be JUST for prayer, nothing else. It is my understanding that these are called shrines?

I guess people place a variety of items in these areas. Candles. Icons. Statues. Rosaries. Etc.

My question is really quite silly! I wasn’t sure where to ask it but I thought it might fall under family life since every family should have a special shrine in their home (I think?). Please do advise if you think this question would be better placed elsewhere.

Anyway here it is… drum roll

There are certain icons that I really enjoy but that I do not own. Would it be wrong to print these out (certain websites provide pictures of these icons) for use in my home shrine?

:confused:

[quote="nickybr38, post:1, topic:244352"]
Lately I've really been wanting to set aside a space in my home that would be JUST for prayer, nothing else. It is my understanding that these are called shrines?

I guess people place a variety of items in these areas. Candles. Icons. Statues. Rosaries. Etc.

My question is really quite silly! I wasn't sure where to ask it but I thought it might fall under family life since every family should have a special shrine in their home (I think?). Please do advise if you think this question would be better placed elsewhere.

Anyway here it is.... drum roll

There are certain icons that I really enjoy but that I do not own. Would it be wrong to print these out (certain websites provide pictures of these icons) for use in my home shrine?

:confused:

[/quote]

Nope. I have some printed pictures that I cannot find anywhere to obtain in my shrine as well. I cannot afford to get prints or pictures of these images that I like.

Print them out. Be at peace.

God bless.

So long as the particular version of the icon is not under copyright. Photos of ancient icons would certainly be exempt from that issue (providing the photographer did not copyright the photo).

In Orthodoxy this is an acceptable practice. What matters most is how the image is treated and understood.

An idea - you might be able to print out an image at high quality and purchase an unfinished wooden plaque at a craft store. Paint the edges red (or whatever color the edge of the print is) and mount your print on the wood yourself.

And yes, SonCatcher is right - we shouldn't deprive honest Iconographers of their due.

How do we know which ones are under copyright and which aren't?

[quote="nickybr38, post:5, topic:244352"]
How do we know which ones are under copyright and which aren't?

[/quote]

Sometimes you can right click on a photo and click on properites. Sometimes it says whether it is copy-righted or not.

I have in the past emailed or tried to get ahold of the person who holds the copy right and explain why I wish to duplicate the picture, never have I got a negative response.

God bless.

Thank you. :)

This helps a great deal

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.