Homebrewing

My wife and I started Homebrewing recently and have been having alot of fun together. She got me the start up equipment for Christmas and we have already brewed 5 batches. This is, obviously, significantly more beer than we drink. However, the longer you keep them the better they get. And they make great gifts.

Anyone else do any homebrewing?

i used to years ago when I used to live in Ohio, I’ve really wanted to start up again. You can get some really great stuff in kits, so have fun exploring those. When you’re really ready to step it up, try whole grain :slight_smile:

BTW, if you want to save on your energy costs, you can actually do your “long boil” inside a big cooler, at least in some cases. Look at the directions for what you’re making, if it’s cool enough that it wouldn’t destroy the plastic cooler (the last batch I did, this was the case, it was all grain) you can pour the beer (to be) into that, and regulate the temp with hot (/cold/cool) water.

I don't, but it is something I would like to get into at some point. I love a good beer.

I have some friends who do a lot of homebrewing and they have made a lot of good stuff.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I do. Both beer and wine. Very fun yet lengthy process. :)

I also homebrew! I’ve only made 2 batches, but they turned out pretty darned good! I give away most of it to friends and relatives as gifts to share. They always seem to enjoy it very much. :slight_smile: Of course I’ve got my own stash to age properly…

I particularly like designing labels for them. Normally I wouldn’t do so, but I tried it upon the insistance and help of my fiancee…who has an artistic eye. They really give the bottles some personality!

It’s a great hobby so far. :thumbsup:

Ah, homebrewing. That which has taken over my husband's weekends... I think it is a great hobby and it is definitely fun to do together!:thumbsup:

Anyone out there have a favorite homebrew that they've made? My husband made, an' I helped, a really great pumpkin ale this past fall. I take some credit but really all I did was help put the caps on the bottles.

We just made a pumpkin ale too. It is still in fermentation so it will be a while before i know how it came out.

If that’s not enough to make you start then I guess nothing will. The product is superior to the vast majority of the major breweries. I make my beer and wine with my parish priest…and it’s been nothing short of great. Mind you he blesses the wort and the beer…so maybe that’s the secret.

My husband's Lutheran Church has a huge Oktoberfest Celebration. Part of it is a home brewing contest. There is something about hearing a big burly Luther pastor boom out: o'zapft is! (The keg is tapped!) to start the festival.

**Sounds like the journey to God, “very fun but lengthy (as in a lifetime) process”!
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I’m no expert homebrewer, but I’ve sampled enough home brews to know that it’s best to start out simple. Many of my brewing friends have tried exotic recipes early on, and they usually came out undrinkable.

I have been brewing beer for about 10 years, and wine for the last 2 years. My wife helps with the bottling. We have fun together doing it.

My favorite type of beer to brew is Octoberfest. Our first batch of wine was a super Tuscan. I didn’t like red wine too much before that but now I really do. Your tastes change when you brew and taste your own.

Anyone ever have wine they have made to be consecrated at Mass? I think that would be a blessing. I don’t really know any priests well enough to ask them. I know there are some specifications for altar wine, so they might be reluctant to accept home made for concern that it is valid.

My dh has made home brew for several years now. Here’s a handy little tip we learned. If the batch of beer does not taste good let it sit for several months. The longer it sits the better the flavor. :wink: It’s a lot like wine in that way. Instead of using the bottles you can buy with the kit dh was using plastic pop bottles. They don’t age to well and he wanted something a little more permanent, he switched to using mason jars (YES, I’m serious:p). So far they are working at really well.

We also do homemade root beer. The kids absolutely love that! It’s a lot creamier than the stuff you buy in the store.

We have been making wine for almost 20 years. But 3 years ago my 14 yr old daughter took over my job, and has been producing some very good wine ever since. She does everything except corking, which I must help with as she hasn’t the arm strength. Currently her 12 yr old sister is helping too. Since Christmas she has made an Italian red, a California white and a German Rose. Looking forward! :slight_smile:

[quote="Joseph629, post:14, topic:186616"]
We have been making wine for almost 20 years. But 3 years ago my 14 yr old daughter took over my job, and has been producing some very good wine ever since. She does everything except corking, which I must help with as she hasn't the arm strength. Currently her 12 yr old sister is helping too. Since Christmas she has made an Italian red, a California white and a German Rose. Looking forward! :)

[/quote]

That's pretty neat. I made my first batch of wine when I was 15.

We haven’t brewed beer, but this past summer we started making wine. My husband came home from work with some berries and asked if I knew what they were. He thought he’d put some in his cereal and mentioned that a retired co-worker used to make wine from them. I did a little research and learned they were mulberries and the wine making adventure began. We learned as we went along. Two of the bottles later burst open when they were on their sides, so I guess they weren’t done fermenting. Hopefully the others will be OK.

We moved onto blueberry wine, red grape, second wine from red grape, and then concord grape. They’ll be ready at Easter at the earliest.

Then, after tasting a sample at the wine making supply house, we made a chocolate raspberry port that was ready for Thanksgiving. We gave it away as Christmas presents and it was fabulous.

In the meanwhile, we don’t have a basement and live in a tiny cottage, so part of the coat closet was turned into a “wine cellar”. http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Food%20Security/Wine%20Closet%202.jpg

I think that we are going to try making a batch of mead this summer too.

I’m a big believer in getting kids involved from a young age. My 12 and 17 yr old daughters do all the wood splitting (with an electric wood splitter) during the winter.

So, are you an expert now at wine brewing? :thumbsup:

Wow, have the whole family involved ey. Thanks, I don’t know if I’m a pro yet, but I’m always learning. I know for a fact that I am improving. Matter of fact I did some bottling last night. Take a look. :slight_smile:

Light bodied sweet wine in secondary fermentation vessel:

Heavy bodied wine in secondary fermentation vessel:

Light bodied sweet wine in bottles:

Heavy bodied sweet wine in bottles:

Group shot:

My dh has been brewing beer for a couple years now and really enjoys it.
I am personally not a fan of beer or any other carbonated drink (my body does not process the bubbles!!:blush:) but I will occassionally have one of his awesome red ales.:thumbsup:

I think I’d like to make my own wine… I chardonay or merlot…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.