Homekeeping

Hi to everyone,

How do you feel about keeping a house? This poll is mostly for those with the primary responsiblity for keeping up a home for a family. But those living by themselves can feel free to respond if the poll is interesting or relevant to them.

Most of us probably bounce around; with me I might be anywhere between 2 and 4 depending on the previous couple of days. I’m curious as to where people on this forum usually live most days. I am a three, trying to reform myself to a 2 or a 1-and-a-half (one can go too far with such things, especially with kids!)

For those who answer three, it might be interesting to know if you wanted to move up to 1 or 2, or do you prefer using the extra time on other things and feel that housework is not important enough to merit more than what it gets?

God Bless,
Joan

I answered 3 and have no interest in moving up. I have a huge house (4 1/2 baths, 5 bedrooms) and it takes forever to clean. Also, I have 4 kids and they always have friends over. On weekends and during the summer, we have 1-3 kids sleep over every night and more kids during the day.

The kids are easy but they eat a ton so it does increase the amount of dishes.

Everyday, I do laundry, make my bed, do dishes and clean something. I figure as long as I cook dinner, the kitchen and bathrooms are clean, and the laundry is done then things are fine. I usually have to sweep, wash counters and tables but I am not willing to constantly be picking up after kids. There is a lot of clutter but who cares. The house will be clean when the kids and hubby move out :)

I don't think I'm lazy but I am definitely not a neat freak.

I don’t keep house. My family and I - we keep house. My husband has his chores, which my daughters and I pick up when he’s away; I have my chores, which which get doled out to my huband and kids when I’m unavailable; and our girls have their chores, have had chores since they were three, which don’t get handed over to anyone unless the girls are running a temperature or injured. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, working as a family, we keep our house looking fairly good. Not meaning to brag, but I’d say we’re a solid 2. It’s nothing out of Better Homes and Gardens, but we’re not frantically tossing dirty underwear between the couch cushions if friends unexpectedly stop by.

My stepmother put it into words for me -

"Don't make housework into your God."

:)

I think I'm doing fairly well at that. I am not compulsive, and have actually admitted to myself that I don't like to clean any more, because I am the only one doing it. I used to get into a zone when the kids were smaller - I cleaned every Friday, put the radio on with Dr. Laura's show and just listened while I cleaned. I love having a totally clean house all at once, but I got out of that routine and now I clean haphazardly.

But I have been responsible for everything that runs the house, including food purchase, prep and presentation, clothing and home needs purchases, keeping up with bills, driving kids to and from school, all medical appointments, etc. so I don't think I am a slacker. Now that the boys are teenagers they do their own laundry and I don't clean their rooms up - they do that now. I also don't clean their toilet except if I have to go in there and it's nasty. I feel like they need to know how to keep things clean because they will be out of here before too many more years go by.

Clutter - always a problem - but clutter isn't dirt. Older son has a clutter-causing hobby of building and flying RC planes, so his junk is in 3 rooms and a hallway right now. I am a piler of papers and any flat surface is likely to collect a pile of miscellaneous paper. Have to fight against that all the time! :rolleyes:

I do spend way too much time online these days, like right now, I should be doing the dishes!

:shrug:

I voted #2 because a) there is no such thing as the “perfect” home, and b) if there were such a thing as a “perfect” home, it would be too scary for me to live there!

I work hard because I have a husband who is not mentally healthy and is not at this time capable of being considerate, and an elderly mother living with me who does require some assistance. I am also entering a graduate program and work part time. So basically, what housework gets done, gets done by me. I prefer to keep it simple.

My house is clean enough to be healthy, uncluttered enough to find things and be able to walk across the floor in a straight line without having to swerve to avoid something (other than the occasional dog toy,) and organized enough to be fairly efficient. The occasional pile of papers or discarded shoes is evidence that real human beings live there. Meals are simple but tasty and nutritious, and I don’t throw out a lot of leftovers on garbage night. I’m not into baking or making elaborate desserts, I’m a retired ballet dancer and only weigh five pounds above what I weighed when I performed, and I intend to keep it that way. Anyone who wants dessert is welcome to make it themselves or go out for it. There’s an occasional magazine or book left on the coffee table, or a discarded jacket hanging from a chair or a doorknob, but that’s about it.

Anyways, who am I out to impress? My friends don’t care, and my enemies don’t come over. If someone is critical of my housekeeping, they’re welcome to do it for me up to their standards while I grab a Mai-Tai, put my feet up, and watch!

I work hard on organizing and cleaning our home. At one point, I realized that I needed to simplify our home. Since then, I have been going from room to room, and solely working on that room until it is streamlined. It has helped us enormously.

I'm a panic cleaner. DH and I are involved in many paper producing activities and there isn't a flat surface that doesn't have papers on it. Knowing that someone is coming over is time for panic cleaning.

It wasn't that bad when the kids were living at home. There was a routine and, although not always tidy, it wasn't cluttered the way it is now. But since the kids have left and DH and I both work and then are off to meeting and other activities (he's a Cub & Scout leader, I'm involved in finances in several clubs as well as things at church) when we come home we just want to turn on the TV and stay on the couch. There are bins of Scout related materials and my materials everywhere. Add to that books and magazines and you get the picture.

I do try to keep on top of things in the kitchen and I'm trying to invite friends over more often so that I'm forced to keep up with the clutter.

[quote="Phemie, post:7, topic:247694"]
I'm a panic cleaner. DH and I are involved in many paper producing activities and there isn't a flat surface that doesn't have papers on it. Knowing that someone is coming over is time for panic cleaning.

It wasn't that bad when the kids were living at home. There was a routine and, although not always tidy, it wasn't cluttered the way it is now. But since the kids have left and DH and I both work and then are off to meeting and other activities (he's a Cub & Scout leader, I'm involved in finances in several clubs as well as things at church) when we come home we just want to turn on the TV and stay on the couch. There are bins of Scout related materials and my materials everywhere. Add to that books and magazines and you get the picture.

I do try to keep on top of things in the kitchen and I'm trying to invite friends over more often so that I'm forced to keep up with the clutter.

[/quote]

FlyLady calls that the "Stash and Dash!" LOL I have been known to grab a laundry basket, throw all the piles of paper in it, and stuff it in the car, if I'm trying to clear the downstairs before company arrives!

You've just shot down my hopes that I will actually improve when the boys are both gone! :shrug:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:8, topic:247694"]
FlyLady calls that the "Stash and Dash!" LOL I have been known to grab a laundry basket, throw all the piles of paper in it, and stuff it in the car, if I'm trying to clear the downstairs before company arrives!

You've just shot down my hopes that I will actually improve when the boys are both gone! :shrug:

[/quote]

When we lived in another town my cousin lived nearby. Whenever her parents visited her my phone would ring: "Thirty minute warning!" Then the scramble would be on to do exactly what you say, stuff everything into shallow boxes which could be shoved behind the couch. I've got boxes of stuff in the basement that I haven't seen in years. I should just take everything to the dump, I probably wouldn't miss it.

I'd give myself a 2. But it isn't terribly hard to keep a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment neat.
My main problem is kid clutter. toys, toys everywhere! they love to dump them out and then I get stuck putting them away. My DH is a great guy but doesn't notice or care about mess and to cut down on arguments and nagging I pick up after him too :pI also have cluttery drawers. But, other than that, my home is fairly neat, most of the time. I try and vacuum every 2-3 days, mop every couple of days and clean the bathroom thoroughly once a week. But it's far from perfect! I recently picked up a copy of "A Mother's Rule of Life" by Holly Pierot under recommendation from some ladies in this forum and it has loads of helpful advice for getting your life organized from prayer time to cleaning. It really makes me want to get cracking!

Hi Mimi,

Like your post!

God Bless,
Joan

Hi Juliane,

I totally relate to this post, especially the part about being responsible for everything! My husband works crazy hours, so I do it all for the house itself. I’m no slacker, but cleaning the house is really a struggle. I’m trying to make up schedules and chore charts to keep on top of the essentials, and do just a little deeper cleaning each day so that things don’t get out of hand. Visits are good, because they ensure that things get a cleaning once in a while no matter what. So the house is in okay shape. But my mood really does get impacted by clutter, more perhaps than anything else! I can’t clean well in a cluttered room.

I like the way the Amish do their houses. Seriously.

God bless,
Joan

[quote="tapiocapudding, post:10, topic:247694"]
... I recently picked up a copy of "A Mother's Rule of Life" by Holly Pierot under recommendation from some ladies in this forum and it has loads of helpful advice for getting your life organized from prayer time to cleaning. It really makes me want to get cracking!

[/quote]

Hi Tapioca,

I'll check it out on Amazon.

God Bless,
Joan

[quote="karow, post:3, topic:247694"]
I don't keep house. My family and I - we keep house. My husband has his chores, which my daughters and I pick up when he's away; I have my chores, which which get doled out to my huband and kids when I'm unavailable; and our girls have their chores, have had chores since they were three, which don't get handed over to anyone unless the girls are running a temperature or injured. :p

So, working as a family, we keep our house looking fairly good. Not meaning to brag, but I'd say we're a solid 2. It's nothing out of Better Homes and Gardens, but we're not frantically tossing dirty underwear between the couch cushions if friends unexpectedly stop by.

[/quote]

Hi Karow,

I am all envy and admiration!:thumbsup:

God Bless,
Joan

I voted 3.

I have six kids under nine and a pretty big house. Like another poster said I have no intention on following the kids around cleaning around them all day. We have a routine of cleaning the kitchen and family rooms daily. I have thought about subscribing to FlyLady because as a SAHM I do feel like I'm slacking most days.

DH and I can't stand a messy/dirty house. We are cleaning or picking things up all the time. I stay home with DD and we have a 3br/2ba home so it's not that bad. We have 2 empty bedrooms, as DD sleeps in our room. We don't have a bunch of stuff and its SO much easier to keep things clean that way. We have regular times of the year where we go through our things and donate/get rid of them if we don't need or want them anymore.

Dishes, wiping off the table, and cleaning the floor are always done right after a meal. Beds are made before showers are taken 'in the morning and everything is picked up before we go to bed (mostly so if I get up with DD in the middle of the night I'm not tripping over anything :) ) Diaper bag is packed as soon as I get home from an outing so I can just pick it up and go when I need to.

Another thing that we have found that helps is that everything has a place and is to be returned there when you're done with it. That way we're not stashing things places and contantly moving them around.

Plus, if people drop in unexpectedly I don't want to have to be embarassed about the condition of my house.

I am a 2 most days now with a little one. But if I had my way I'd always be a 1!! ;)

I actually probably care too much about having a neat home. I grew up in a very very messy house, and while I know my mom wasn't lazy and just had to deal with four kids and a husband who wasn't very good about picking up after himself :p, it just didn't go with my personality. Having things neat and orderly keeps my mind calm. I also really like to keep busy and things like an unorganized cupboard irritate me, though I can let them be in the face of bigger priorities. (Though, I have been known to yell at DH for leaving his dirty socks on the floor as if nothing were more important at that moment. :blush:) He's the kind of person who can just remember where he put things - I can't. Everything has its place and if it's not there...I won't find it for a loooooong while.

I will be 63 next month. The older I get, the less dirt I see. That is why I voted #3.

I used to be a #1 and drove my family crazy. I outgrew that and slipped to #2. The rest of the way down to #3 was fairly easy.:smiley:

As long as things are clean enough to be healthy (mostly kitchen and bathrooms) I’m happy. Occasional sweeping and dusting and mopping, and laundry. Hubby is retired, I still work. He does some housework and he cooks, but I don’t get after him. He should enjoy his retirement. Besides, he had a stroke and is recovering nicely, so we don’t need to be stressing about housework. It suddenly became unimportant when he had the stroke. Priorities shifted.

I doubt if I will slip down past a 3, this seems to be a happy medium. And if I don’t get around to all the windows this year, there is always next.:smiley:

I voted for “somewhat unhappy”.

Big Problem #1 is that I don’t see messes-- I see projects I’m in the middle of. Even if they sit out in plain view for a month or two or three. :blush:

Big Problem #2 is time management. I need to be more methodical. Instead of picking up a little bit here, and cleaning a little there, I need to focus and tackle something until it’s totally done— and keep it that way for longer than a few days. Heck, I need to do that with my projects, too. :slight_smile:

[quote="Joan1969, post:11, topic:247694"]
Hi Mimi,

Like your post!

God Bless,
Joan

[/quote]

Hi Joan! Thank you! God bless you also! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.