Homeowner suing to stop homeless shelter

Cool, all you are doing is pointing out a trend not that there are not outliers.

I’m not saying the other don’t exist I’m saying there’s more.

They’ve taken over our main library, but I like it. It is a stimulating and safe place to be if one is not employed.

Why do you think that bible verse got it wrong, or was inappropriate reference.

We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

What’s your take on Amazon? Has it been a good or bad thing for Seattle?

1 Like

In my area, HfH has a minimum income requirement. With property values over the roof these days, it’s not always an easy one to meet. None of the families I’ve worked with qualify.

It’s adequate, but those day shelters are even better for support, bathrooms, showers, and warm meals. Catholic Worker often runs them.

Actually @CorydonMundi correctly pointed out to me that I was the one taking his/her use of the verse out of context.

All available data I’ve found on homelessness cites low income, lack of affordable/available housing, domestic violence, mental illness, and/or substance abuse as causes.

Homeowner suing to stop homeless shelter…the title made my heart ache, my stomach hurt, and put me in an emotional state of mind…
What if there was catastrophic disaster in our world…and all of us became “homeless”…could we all survive? I have read all of the replies to this topic and can relate to the property value concerns, the mental illness effecting some of the homeless, the crime, and unsanitary conditions, etc. I think of a homeless man that was given the opportunity of acquiring a job…he was struggling to “make it”, working overtime and doing all he could…then was diagnosed with cancer and died. My mind drifts back to a time when a hurricane destroyed a coastal town…Marie lost everything…the roof on her house, everything in the house, her car…this was during August and others were complaining about the lack of “air conditioning”…Churches and the Red Cross were providing food for everyone…Marie was so close to being “homeless” but she got help from some Church Group who installed a tarp on the roof and she survived, went to work, and eventually moved. She suffered mentally from the disaster but because of her strength and determination, she is fine now! We all have choices…we should never take for granted that others are “homeless” and we are not…it just takes an illness or another bump in the road to cause a setback that could change our lives forever! I am Blessed in so many ways…roof over my head…food in the fridge…heat and air…car in the garage…washer and dryer…electricity…gas…water…and I know my days are numbered…

I picked one Habitat at random:

This group states “we have served nearly 500 families” between 1988 and now. If we round up, that means 17 families per year on average.

Here is a report from that same geographical area about the numbers of homeless (and that in and of itself depends on how one counts homeless persons).

Even with blurry numbers, we have to say that as great as Habitat is, they barely scratch the suffice. In my area they might build 5 new homes each year. I get 5 homeless calls per day!

Now, Habitat does have a default rate on their homeowners, so, those houses are re purposed for other folks.

The problem is much larger than Habitat or another great local project.

1 Like

Of course it’s a huge problem, especially considering the number of mentally-ill and addicted who are homeless or as good as.

But we have to start somewhere. Every project that someone starts gives us more information about the best ways to help the various homeless populations in the U.S.

I still believe that the BEST way to stop homelessness is to make sure that all children graduate from high school with a good idea of what they can do with their lives other than “be poor.”

Not to pick on anyone but it appears many who post have a fond memory of when they were young, the economy was doing well for EVERYONE (the stock market is not the economy), families by and large stuck together. Simply not true in modern times. Having a high school education without learning a trade is worthless. A college education is the bare minimum. Honestly, if a poll was taken on this site, most people likely are 50+ years old, worked for the same firm for 30+ years, and know of the world which they inhabited 30+ years ago.

1 Like

I’m 28 with no college degree and I made 6 figures last year… the economy isn’t that bad. We’ve got record unemployment and wages are rising faster now than in the last 20 years.

You have a trade then?

I can see why it might seem bizarre to this generation. It is not bizarre for those that saw desire and will put a man on the moon with no program to do so in ten years, or that saw this country mobilize into the greatest army the world has known in a year. I do not see this as bizarre. I see it as a prioritization issue at best, and a cop-out at worst. I refuse to believe that a the United States of America is incapable of making vast improvement over the poor and homeless. If so, we are far from the greatest country in the world, and not even in the top ten.

Yes, I believe we have a tremendous lack of will to help the poor as a nation, and unfortunately, as Catholic Americans.

Pnewton said homeowner not landlord.
Pnewton said the griper doesn’t own his neighbor’s property, which is the property the homeowner is trying to control.

Nope. I’m literally useless. I do sales. My only skill is talking.

Good for you! Doesn’t sound useless to me, far from it.

Service industry, part time jobs make up a huge portion of those figures.

The “under-employed” is a great number of people, myself included.

I think we are all upset about the situation. There are so many nuances to the causes of homelessness. It’s very diificult to find a reliable clearinghouse source which does not have a preconceived agenda of some type. One huge difference that I have seen change over the years is a lack of face to face interviewing. Basically, you apply online, the computer program decides if you are a good fit (and your credit must be very good or you’re branded as a potential thief), the end results are spit out and only then are you interviewed. The homeless have no chance. How is address filled in? Then one must lie! How far does one lie to get the job? Used to be one could be a hard worker and get a job at the local mill. There is no local mill anymore: there’ve moved overseas. Even service jobs are faltering. We all see many old local stores closing for good. The disruption to all aspects of employment is a huge problem and we fiddle as the fires spread. Hence the fall of the middle class, we are increasingly a two tier financial system, the poor and the well-off.

The homeowner likewise is trying to control the value of their property.
What exactly is wrong with that?

Nothing, as far as it goes. But the issue of how to help the homeless remains. And the desire to control one’s property does not confer the right to do just anything for that goal, and in particular does not confer the right to control the property of others.

I think it’s basically good, though there are problems with Amazon. They’ve provided a lot of jobs.

I think trade school is more useful, even though it doesn’t give you a well rounded education. (Not to mention the nonsense that’s being preached at universities) I have a college degree but had to go to community college to get a license to actually work (nursing) But there are more than a few well educated folks who’ve fallen prey to addiction or mental illness. That’s what we need to address.

2 Likes

They’re opening their HQ #2 near me. I’m a little apprehensive but happy about it overall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.