Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S

Congratulations to the Romeike family. I’m surprised no one has posted this latest news yet.

The Romeikes are not your typical asylum seekers. They did not come to the U.S. to flee war or despotism in their native land. No, these music teachers left Germany because they didn’t like what their children were learning in public school - and because homeschooling is illegal there. (See pictures of a Tennessee family homeschooling its children.)
“It’s our fundamental right to decide how we want to teach our children,” says Uwe Romeike, an Evangelical Christian and a concert pianist who sold his treasured Steinway to help pay for the move.

news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100302/us_time/09171196809900

Good for them! I hope they enjoy that beautiful part of the country! :)

~Liza

You have to admire them for what they gave up, all for the benefit of their children. The father was a concert pianist in Germany, and now he’s giving piano lessons to children over here. I wonder how many Americans would be willing to give up a well-paying, prestigious job and move to a foreign country for the benefit of their kids’ spiritual welfare?

While I am happy for the Romeikes and hope they settle in comfortably, granting political asylum because of home schooling seems a real stretch of the law.

[quote="Dale_M, post:4, topic:189213"]
While I am happy for the Romeikes and hope they settle in comfortably, granting political asylum because of home schooling seems a real stretch of the law.

[/quote]

Really? So if the United States started FORCING you to put your children in ONLY public schools that were teaching pro-homosexual practices, atheist beliefs, and passing out birth control without your consent, as well as actively teaching anti-Catholic topics - would you just sit by and let it happen? Or would you try to emigrate to another country that would hopefully let you in so you could raise your children as you feel necessary to maintain your religious beliefs?

I personally have no problem with this. After going through the immigration process myself to bring my husband here from England, I have heard of a lot of less worthy situations of bringing people here to this country than this one.

~Liza

If someone feels that strongly, there is nothing wrong with emigration. However, perhaps going through the normal channels would be more appropriate.

What exactly do you think are the “normal channels”? It’s not like they are coming here illegally. :confused:

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:189213"]
What exactly do you think are the "normal channels"? It's not like they are coming here illegally.

[/quote]

Liza, they didn't come here as normal immigrants. They came here as political refugees.

Political asylum is normally granted to persons who have been tortured by a government or have well founded fears for their lives due to political persecution.

I'm glad they are here. It just seems an unusual use of the political asylum proceedings.

[quote="Dale_M, post:8, topic:189213"]
Liza, they didn't come here as normal immigrants. They came here as political refugees.

Political asylum is normally granted to persons who have been tortured by a government or have well founded fears for their lives due to political persecution.

I'm glad they are here. It just seems an unusual use of the political asylum proceedings.

[/quote]

Wasn't imprisonment threatened to these parents for choosing to homeschool? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme to you on the part of the German government? That the government would forcefully take the children away because of this parental choice?

[quote="gmarie21, post:9, topic:189213"]
Wasn't imprisonment threatened to these parents for choosing to homeschool?

[/quote]

If they insisted on homeschooling, despite the laws of Germany, they were free to relocate to another country in Europe. The EU allows for easy migration of citizens, so long as they are self-supporting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.