Homeschooling Oneself

Hi!
I'm in highschool and thinking of homeschooling myself.

Please help.

Do you know any good programs, tips, statistics...anything basically on this subject?

Thanks

Hi! I have a few questions for you: are your parents willing to help? Why would you be homeschooling yourself? What makes you want to leave your current school and go home? Have you spoken to your parents about this decision? Have you prayed about it?

If you would truly be homeschooling yourself without help, k12.com can link you to some online public schools. Those schools provide the curriculum, materials and grading services. They also issue a public school diploma.

God Bless!

Oh, here are two more options:

www.laurelsprings.com is an online, secular school that offers full services. They charge a tuition fee and grading, books, materials, etc. are included in that fee. It's used by a lot of people, from average joes to child actors and pro teen athletes.

www.angelicum.net is an online Catholic homeschool program that focuses on the Great Books and classical education (but, depending on your age, might not be the best course to just jump into.

Other than those two options, most of what I know is geared towards nursery/elementary students, as my son is a toddler and I'm trying to learn more about that age group.

I'm sure you are discussing this with your parents.

Two options for homeschooling that offer quite a few online classes are www.kolbe.org and www.setonhome.org. That might be a good option for you, since you'll be accountable to those sites and you can receive a diploma from them upon completion of your schoolwork.

[quote="Adrienne5678, post:1, topic:218469"]
Hi!

Please help.

Do you know any good programs, tips, statistics...anything basically on this subject?

Thanks

[/quote]

You mentioned you were in high school, but didn't mention what year. If you are a junior or a senior, I would suggest you look into taking classes at your local college. My oldest son is taking classes at a nearby college and he's a junior in high school. We opted to "outsource" the more challenging courses in homeschooling to college, instead of me trying to do it here at home. He earns credits for his high school program, plus college credits that are necessary for the degree he hopes to earn.

There are many distance-learning programs out there and I would suggest checking out each website thoroughly. Laural Springs was mentioned and it's a good secular program, but for the cost, you could probably earn an Associate Degree from a community college. Some of the programs are "set on auto-pilot", while others require a fair amount of parental involvement- even at the high school level.

If you know what college/university or post-high school program you would like to attend, I recommend seeing what their requirements are for homeschooled students. Some are fine with transcripts, some go strictly by SAT/ACT scores, and others like a portfolio.

After you have researched these things, sit down with your parents and go over what you have discovered with them. If they aren't familiar with homeschooling, they might have some misconceptions, and doing your research ahead of time on what their concerns might be will make it easier for all of you to determine what the best options are.

You sound like a very motivated young adult and I applaud you for taking the initiative to do it!

Look into Mother of Divine Grace school.

It's accredited and you work with an advisor, which would be especially helpful if you are working alone.

The program is classical and literature based.

The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education (ISBN 0-9629591-7-0) originally published in 1991 by Grace Llewellyn is an autodidactic book about unschooling. Inspired by John Holt's educational views, among others, the book encourages teenagers to leave full-time school and let their curiosity guide their learning. It includes suggestions and resources regarding traditional academic areas, as well as chapters about talking to parents, social life, college, and exploring the world.

Check the wikipedia article on this for links to more info:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Teenage_Liberation_Handbook

Hi!

Please help.

Thanks

[/quote]

What do you want to accomplish, and why do you want to do it on your own?

The reason I ask is that I do not think everyone would be suited to this. I homeschool my 4 children, one would be absolutely perfect for this, two would need more direction, and one needs quite a lot of pushing ;)

So I don't think it's something to take up lightly. It will require a lot of self-discipline, ability to avoid distractions, and organization. A goal is very helpful, because then you have a reason to do the work involved.

OTOH, I think that there would be options even for someone who does need some help. A sympathetic adult may be able to help with accountability, which I see as the main problem, this could be your parents or anyone else you know with whom you think you could work like this, even an elderly person you might know who can't get out and about but who could do this.

Feedback is always tricky, but you might be able to line up someone you know who writes well to help you with that, and there are lots of math and science sites which would help explain things in a different way.

A little relevant info about me.

I'm a freshman in high school, I'm 15.
I am extremely efficient and hardworking and have a love of learning. I have never been able to learn in school. No matter what, I can't. I need to do it myself. To school myself. I have virtually no social or cultural life because after 8 hours of school, I have to go home and re"learn" everything plus homework.

I am extremely intelligent. I don't mean to brag, I just want to tell it how it is.
I want to excel at my instrument, and ready books that give me knowledge, and watch the news etc. I want to be "knowledgeable"

It's hard to explain. I want to be a well rounded, knowing person. And school isn't letting me. What a paradox!

I have prayed about it and my parents are willing to consider it. They would not school me. I would school myself. I don't really want an online highschool. Just a set of textbooks and websites for the upcoming years and a high school diploma.

Thank you for your posts, keep them coming!!! Please comment!

Suggestion: connectionsacademy.com/

Not sure if Connections Academy is offered in your state, but this is our first year enrolled in CA. We love it, its partly homeschool, but you still have teachers and live lessons every week. There are field trips for other students in your area as well and there is constant feedback from the teachers.

Hi!

Please help.

Thanks

[/quote]

It is entirely possible to do this. We had a very bright and hard working young lady living with us for the last year of her high school studies and she homeschooled herself successfully. She homeschooled for about the last two years of high school in total and was accepted to a Catholic university with a very generous scholarship and is thriving there. She did not use an online school. I can't remember what she used, but I will see if I can find out and let you know.

~Liza

Seton, Kolbe, and Mother of Divine Grace are some excellent Catholic programs that are accredited, reasonably affordable, issue diplomas, and are “book-oriented” instead of being online.

[quote="Adrienne5678, post:9, topic:218469"]

I am extremely efficient and hardworking and have a love of learning. I have never been able to learn in school. No matter what, I can't. I need to do it myself. To school myself. I have virtually no social or cultural life because after 8 hours of school, I have to go home and re"learn" everything plus homework.

I am extremely intelligent. I don't mean to brag, I just want to tell it how it is.
I want to excel at my instrument, and ready books that give me knowledge, and watch the news etc. I want to be "knowledgeable"

It's hard to explain. I want to be a well rounded, knowing person. And school isn't letting me. What a paradox!

I have prayed about it and my parents are willing to consider it. They would not school me. I would school myself. I don't really want an online highschool. Just a set of textbooks and websites for the upcoming years and a high school diploma.

[/quote]

Here is the best self-directed home education program that I know of. It is not religious in nature, but the books that you will read are moral and from previous centuries, so they do include God as their moral foundation.

robinsoncurriculum

The elements of this curriculum are very simple. Math, reading, and writing. The math is critical and once you do higher math, then you can truly do hard science, not just labs and pretty picture books as most science classes are in school. Art Robinson's kids were being homeschooled by his wife when she suddenly died (they were both scientists) and he was left alone with the 6 kids. He designed this program for the kids to do themselves and they have. You can read the story on the website.

The math books are wonderful - they build up skills by repeating them over and over. And the books are all public domain and are on the CDs to be printed. Kids who use this curriculum ace their SATs and ACTs because they have an amazing command of grammar and the English language.

I love self-directed learners! Good luck to you hon, you're going far!

:thumbsup:

p.s. You don't really need a diploma any more, colleges are very happy to admit homeschoolers because they do very well in an independent environment. I would also ask you to check on the laws in your state - some are more homeschool friendly than others. Make sure you do it the right way, and don't let the school district intimidate you. In Texas, for example, home schools are considered private schools and can issue their own diplomas. These laws do change depending upon the elected officials, however, so that's one thing your parents can do for you - help make sure they and you aren't harassed by the government. :)

[quote="Adrienne5678, post:9, topic:218469"]

[/quote]

As someone who felt that school really interfered with her education :) I think you have a good idea here, and how wonderful that your parents are willing to consider it.

There are some questions for you to consider, not to answer here. What would your parents like to see in order to agree? Would they like to see you have a plan of studies which is pretty much like the school's, or are they willing to let you be more independent? Are they willing and able to help you get the materials you need, and what sort of budget would there be?

Considering what you said in your post and the confidence your parents have in you, I think that this is very feasible. Check out the suggestions for curriculae that others have given you so that you can get a sense of what is out there and also get an idea of Catholic resources. Most of them will let you buy books individually without being enrolled.

I think another place that has not been mentioned yet would be Catholic Heritage Curricula, which has some great resources :) And I also recommend the Baltimore Catechism and Radio Replies. And the social encyclicals.... I could go on, but I will stop here!

Here is a great resource for the legal aspects of home schooling. Bookmark this website and keep it on your desktop - if you run into any questions or problems from your school district, this organization will ride to the rescue.

hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.