Homesickness

Hi. On Wednesday, I am leaving for Pennsylvania to go to Catholic camp. It is TEN DAYS LONG. I have never been away from my awesome family for that long. I am pretty worried about homesickness because I don’t want to look like a loser. Is there a prayer I could say or something that could help me get over it because it seems real fun. Mass everyday, two prayer times, rosary everyday, sports swimming fishing. I really want to go but I am worried. PLEASE HELP. God Bless! :confused:

Wow, sounds like you’ll be pretty busy. You likely won’t have time to worry about going home. Just think of what you’re doing for yourself and your soul by attending this camp! Your family must be so proud of you! That’s some motivation for you! :slight_smile:

[quote="lumenjesuchrist, post:1, topic:247855"]
Hi. On Wednesday, I am leaving for Pennsylvania to go to Catholic camp. It is TEN DAYS LONG. I have never been away from my awesome family for that long. I am pretty worried about homesickness because I don't want to look like a loser. Is there a prayer I could say or something that could help me get over it because it seems real fun. Mass everyday, two prayer times, rosary everyday, sports swimming fishing. I really want to go but I am worried. PLEASE HELP. God Bless! :/

[/quote]

St. Anthony of Padua is a patron saint of travelers; perhaps a prayer asking him to guide you though your anxiety is in order.

Get your prayers in quick, however, because I have a sneaking suspicion that once you're at cam you're going to be far too busy to be homesick. :D

Enjoy your experience!

I recently did a fifteen week long mission with the Catholic Christian Outreach. I thought being away from my family would cause me constant pain.

I found, however, that as much as I missed them, The six wonderful catholic ladies I shared a home with quickly became like new sisters to me. I learned in a few weeks to confide in them things I've never told my parents (and trust me, coming from me that is saying A LOT!). You're going to meet so many wonderful people and be so busy and have so much fun I'm sure!

Is there a way to contact home? A phone call every three days or so should ease your homesickness if possible.

I'll pray for you. Never forget what communion really means! Remember as you take communion at daily mass that you are in communion with Christ and all his faithful. We are all drawn to each other through him, so when you think about it, your family is never far away.

Big step for you but we all have to take a step towards independance and adventure at some point.:cool:

I agree with others that you are going to be so busy that you won’t have the time or energy to be homesick!

I was a counselor at an over-night camp when I was in high school (our campers were 11-14). Campers were there for a week, and one thing that was a hard and fast rule was no phone calls home. Campers could write as often as they wanted, but we found that a phone call, where they could hear about things that were going on that they were missing at home, like mom’s cooking, or a funny thing a younger sibling did that day, only increased the homesickness. Campers usually wanted to call home the first night around bedtime, but after that they were so caught up in activities and making new friends that they didn’t even think of home. And by the end of the week, they had made such good friends and had so much fun that they didn’t want to go home!

I hope you have a wonderful time (I’m sure you will!). Know that missing your family is completely normal, but enjoying yourself when you are away from them is completely normal as well!

Just keep busy and try not to dwell on not being at home.

For 9 summers I went to a summer camp for physically disabled children to receive therapy, plus all of the traditional fun camp stuff, and it was for 7, yes, 7 weeks. I started going when I was 5, but the first summer was for only 3 1/2 weeks as I was still 5 (they took kids as young as 3. Then for 9 summers till I was 18 (missed 3) I went for 7 weeks. There were no visits or phone calls. Was it tough? Yes, but I got a lot out of it and it was a huge blessing. I actually learned to walk there and believe camp had a lot for to do with how independent I am today and that I am now going to college away from home.

If it helps, think of it as a preparation for college or when you move away from home. Yes, it's scary and I struggled with homesickness each summer, but now, for me, being away from home when I am at college is a lot easier. I am sure you will be so busy you won't have a big issue with it, but don't dwell on it as it always makes it worse.

Hopefully you'll be so engrossed in your activities that you won't have time to feel homesick.

That being said, homesickness often occurs when there is a lack of comfort or familiarity. So surround yourself with familiar things - pray the prayers you always pray - and be on the lookout for people/activities that make you feel more comfortable in your new environment!

Hope you have a great time and form some lasting relationships!

I moved countries when I was ten, and again when I was nineteen. Homesickness was a big part of my life for those first few months of moving country. The best thing I could suggest would be thanking God individually for the seperate things that you have enjoyed each day, and it really helps you see what an amazing experience God gives us on these adventures!

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy every second!!

The first time I traveled overseas by myself I thought for sure I would be homesick. At the airport I waited until the last possible second to go to the gate because I didn’t want everyone to go home without me and leave me all by myself. I was excited but scared at the same time, turned out I was mostly excited. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of great things going on, try to make some friends as early as possible that helps. St. Christopher is also the patron saint of travel, I had and still have his medal with me when I travel.

Saying the Hail Mary always helps me with any anxiety I feel. After I pray a few Hail Marys I feel tons better! Have fun and don’t be anxious for anything! So glad you have an awesome family to miss while you are at camp! What a blessing.

And I sincerely doubt you will be the only one there who might be a touch homesick! You might even get to minister to some other kid who has it worse than you do! :slight_smile:

I'm sure you'll have fun!

Pray to Jesus, I'm sure he was terribly lonely sometimes.

What part of PA are you going to be in?? I love my home state and hope you do also!

[quote="kib, post:11, topic:247855"]
I'm sure you'll have fun!

Pray to Jesus, I'm sure he was terribly lonely sometimes.

What part of PA are you going to be in?? I love my home state and hope you do also!

[/quote]

Elmhurst. It is near St. Gregory's Academy. :)

That’s a beautiful part of PA, I am jealous!

Hahahaha. I’m kind of getting real nervous now and I’m not looking as forward to it as I was :frowning:

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.