Homicides in Chicago this year double same period last year - Chicago Tribune

Homicides in Chicago this year double same period last year

Four homicides over the weekend and two more Monday morning pushed Chicago’s homicide count so far this year to double the same period last year.

The city has recorded at least 95 homicides since the first of the year, compared to 47 last year, according to data kept by the Tribune. The city has also more than doubled the amount of people shot - about 420 this year compared to 193 last year.

Thirty-two people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, the youngest among them a 3-year-old boy shot in the leg in the Englewood neighborhood.

The boy was shot as he played with a relative in the 5600 block of South Wolcott Avenue on Saturday afternoon. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

Police said the boy apparently was hit by a stray bullet fired in a gang fight. No one was reported in custody.

Read More At: chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-weekend-shootings-3-dead-29-wounded-20160222-story.html

This is so tragic. :frowning:

The ex-police superintendent in Chicago was thought to have ordered the numbers to be fudged, so that certain crimes would be under reported in FBI stats under his watch.

Hows that gun control working for them?

It’s a catch22, can’t have everyone armed, its a heavily congested urban area, not Wyoming. Nor can you have just the criminals carrying weapons, which is pretty much the situation - gang members shooting other gang members and some innocent bystanders getting killed in the melee.

No, but if we all carried the criminal may want to think twice before trying something. City or no city, I will be about 3 feet apart from the criminal and more then likely and I won’t miss.

I remember reading, about a year and a half ago, where Rahm Emmanuel (I’m no fan otherwise) complained about judges not imposing harsher sentences on gun crime perpetrators. Apparently, despite the gun laws, the criminals get a slap on the wrist for non-lethal gun crimes.

Not very likely in Chicago and a greater risk of an innocent bystander getting killed… or like that crazy shooting spree. . Lots of dead people not knowing it was coming

They’ll blame it on the warmer-than-usual weather, no doubt. But there does seem to be a correlation.

This highlights a viscous circle.
The courts don’t enforce the laws and sentences we have, then there is a reaction that increases sentences and adds mandatory minimums.

If only the system would provide appropriate punishment per the original laws, the cycle could be stopped without eventually locking people up for their productive years.

It’s very sad, about 3 weeks ago, a young lady from San Diego was killed by a stray bullet. She was talking to her family in San Diego. They never wanted her to go to Chicago.

SAN DIEGO – A 25-year-old University of San Diego graduate who had recently moved to Chicago for a new job was killed by a stray bullet last week.

According to WLS-TV, Aaren O’Connor was sitting in her car in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood Friday night speaking on the phone with her sister in San Diego when the line went dead. When her father called O’Connor back, he said she sounded confused.

“She was incoherent, didn’t know where she was, and kept saying that her head hurts. Her head hurts,” David O’Connor told ABC7. “I wish I could have known what was going on, so I could have told her that I love her one more time.”

10news.com/news/san-diego-woman-killed-by-stray-bullet-in-chicago?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Is there a play or movie called Chiraq by Spike Lee? It seems I’ve heard of this.

But I don’t want to get down on a city, it’s a gigantic place. I hope it pulls out of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.