Homily At Mass This Morning

The priest at Mass this morning centered his homily around the book by Sister Elizabeth Johnson called Quest for the Living God which he encouraged those at Mass to read more of and labeled her “probably the finest theologian in the United States”. As you may or may not know, this book was denounced by the USCCB because they felt “obligated to state publicly that the doctrine of God presented in Quest for the Living God does not accord with authentic Catholic teaching on essential points.” After reviewing her defense of the book, the USCCB then reaffirmed its statement of denunciation at a later date.

What are your thoughts on this, is this something worth bringing up?

God bless,
Paul

[quote="PJD1987, post:1, topic:350440"]
The priest at Mass this morning centered his homily around the book by Sister Elizabeth Johnson called Quest for the Living God which he encouraged those at Mass to read more of and labeled her "probably the finest theologian in the United States". As you may or may not know, this book was denounced by the USCCB because they felt "obligated to state publicly that the doctrine of God presented in Quest for the Living God does not accord with authentic Catholic teaching on essential points." After reviewing her defense of the book, the USCCB then reaffirmed its statement of denunciation at a later date.

God bless,
Paul

[/quote]

I could probably read for a lifetime and not begin to exhaust the writings of the saints.
I honestly don't have the time to read borderline stuff. And that is no reflection on the author, I know absolutely nothing about her. God bless the sister.

The priest at Mass this morning centered his homily around the book by Sister Elizabeth Johnson called Quest for the Living God which he encouraged those at Mass to read more of and labeled her "probably the finest theologian in the United States". As you may or may not know, this book was denounced by the USCCB because they felt "obligated to state publicly that the doctrine of God presented in Quest for the Living God does not accord with authentic Catholic teaching on essential points." After reviewing her defense of the book, the USCCB then reaffirmed its statement of denunciation at a later date.

God bless,
Paul

[/quote]

Never heard of the book, but if the US Bishop's denounced it, then you may want to mention this to the priest.

You can read the USCCB commentary her

usccb.org/news/2011/11-205e.cfm

This is a bit of a serious issue, and is a bit scandalous (in the actual definition of the word).

I would consider speaking to your pastor, and telling him about the USCCB mandate on the book. If he insists that it is good, I would shoot a letter over to your bishop.

God bless,
Paul

[/quote]

Yes and don't read it. We have to many self made theologians today. And they are confusing the faithful all the time. And it's sad when a priest recommends it. He should never recommend a book that is against Church teaching. God Have mercy! Many years ago, Fr. Larkin, ( home enthronement ) told us at a talk, to pray for our priests. He said, "If you have one priest after you, I have a dozen of them after me. The devil loves nothing better than to destroy a priest." I have never forgoten that and pray always for our priests to be faithful to the Church. God Bless and a Holy Blessed New Year, Memaw

Yes bring it up with your priest. Ask him to be sure you are both talking about the same book. And then express your concern based on the bishops statement.

I am so grateful for our good and holy priests. All priests are in danger and we should pray for them all the time.

I would look for a chain of incidents. If such occurs, then I would ignore and go somewhere else.

God bless,
Paul

[/quote]

:hmmm: I don't know, what do you think? :rolleyes:. I am not familiar with Sister Elizabeth Johnson or her book but based on the information that you have given us, my only question is, do you have the courage to bring it up?

Meanwhile, Fr. Barron gave a very nice homily on the Word on Fire website if you are looking for a reflection on Epiphany. :-)

[quote="Memaw, post:6, topic:350440"]
Yes and don't read it. We have to many self made theologians today. And they are confusing the faithful all the time. And it's sad when a priest recommends it. He should never recommend a book that is against Church teaching. God Have mercy! Many years ago, Fr. Larkin, ( home enthronement ) told us at a talk, to pray for our priests. He said, "If you have one priest after you, I have a dozen of them after me. The devil loves nothing better than to destroy a priest." I have never forgoten that and pray always for our priests to be faithful to the Church. God Bless and a Holy Blessed New Year, Memaw

[/quote]

I'm sorry. I quoted Fr. Larkin wrong. He said, "If you have one devil after you, I have a dozen of them after me." Please forgive, God Bless, Memaw

Well no wonder! I just did a quick look-see for the book mentioned at Amazon and here's another listed by the same Sister: She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse Yikes! No I won't waste my time reading that or the one Father recommended at Mass on Sunday. But I will pray for the both of them. It appears they missed something that got lost in translation. Oh well. To each his own.

It might be that since Father is discussing this, those in the pews who look to him for direction can know the truth about his personal theology. The Church cannot deceive nor be deceived so maybe the Holy Spirit was pulling the wool off the wolves for a day or two so the sheep can avoid getting bit! :rolleyes:

Glenda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.