Homily for the Gospel?

Hi all,

I was just wondering why the Homily only covers the reading of the Gospel and not the first and second readings. I’m really struggling to understand the Old Testament, and would like to know why the priests don’t explain these readings. In my opinion, the New Testament (including the Gospels) are a lot easier to understand.

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

Justin

This really depends on what priest you have.

Agreed. Most every Sunday our priest explains why these reading for the day are grouped together…the common thread if you will…

At our parish, the pastor always - and I mean always - incorporates the 2 readings and the gospel reading into his homily. Sometimes the other priests do as well, but with the pastor it always happens.
I also think it just depends on the priest and what emphasis he’s trying to bring.

Thanks everybody … That’s what I thought my other priests have done in the past. I haven’t been attending mass regularly, but am starting to now. I’ve been going for two weeks and already feel better.

Thanks again,

Justin

In my parish, the priests discuss all three readings & how they tie in together in their homlies.

Hey, welcome back, and God bless you!

Usually it is only the OT reading that ties in with the Gospel although a good preacher can connect the second reading. On occasion the second reading does connect.

This can actually be a good reason to focus either on the second reading, or on the OT and Gospel.

I have heard it said that you can’t expect people to remember more than 3 points when giving a talk. Presumably this is in a classroom, or at a lecture where they are already somewhat knowledgeable and primed to learn - I think 3 may be a high estimate for the average mass attendee. If a homilist has a particularly powerful message, it may be wise to simplify the homily to expand on just that one point, rather than dilute it explaining sometimes tenuous relationships between the readings.

Having said that, I personally prefer when the homilist does discuss each reading. So many homilies have core messages I have heard before, or for other reasons don’t particularly move me. When the homily switches gears to talk about each reading, the chances are better that there will be something new to me, or that for whatever reason I’ll have an easier time latching on to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.