Homily Given for 18th Sunday in Ordinary Time - 31/07/2011 - "Do you also want to leave?"

Hiya CAF,

As promised here is this Sunday’s Homily.

Several years ago, I shared a story that is purported to be true about NASA, the American Space Agency. NASA did some experimenting with a special type of camera that could see the energy levels in the human body. According to the experimenters, this energy whos up as an aura surrounding the body. Their interest was to investigate the effects of space travel on astronauts while in orbit. Experimenting in a hospital they discovered that when a person is dying the “energy aura” around the body is thinner and it gets thinner and thinner until the person dies. The scientist carrying out this investigation in the hospital and his associate were behind a two-way mirror. At one point, they could see with their camera another man coming into the room, but there was a light coming from his pocket and did something with it. Looking through the camera, the whole room was filled with light and they could no longer see what was happening. They ran to the room to see what was causing so much light to appear in their camera. They discovered that the dying man was being given Holy Communion, and afterwards with their camera they could see that the aura around him was brighter. Although in his fifties, the scientist conducting this experiement changed his career and became a Catholic priest.

The miracle of the loaves and fishes in today’s Gospel directs our attention to the miracle of the Holy Eucharist. Jesus’ miracle is a foretaste of what some of the saints have called the greatest of all miracles, the miracle of the Holy Eucharist.

When Jesus ascended to the Father, it would have been very simple for him merely to leave us with a record of all that he had said and done; however, because of his infinite love, He desired to remain with us. The Holy Eucharist is not merely a symbol, it is a reality. Jesus is truly with us. In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist, the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained.

We are told in the sixth chapter of the Gospel according to St. John that Jesus spoke to the crowds about eating His body and drinking His blood: “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.” [Jn 6:54-56] As a result of this saying we are further told that, “many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.” [Jn 6:66]

Since God “wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth” [1 Tim 2:4], wouldn’t Jesus have told those who started leaving Him that He was merely speaking in symbolic language? Think about it…they started leaving Him. Surely, Jesus would have stopped them and explained that He was only speaking symbolically about eating His flesh and drinking His blood, and that they were misunderstanding His words. But, He didn’t do this, because He was not speaking symbolically - He was speaking the literal truth abou the Holy Eucharist - that is actually and truly becomes His Body and Blood. And since the truth cannot change, He turned to His apostles and said, "Do you also want to leave?" [Jn 6:67]

May we always answer Jesus with the very same words of St. Peter, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” [Jn 6:68]

God bless and see you next week.

It is exactly these words that keep me going. After going round the Earth twice, physically and ideologically, I found that I am stuck to Christ, for I have nowhere else to go. Some friends of mine criticize me for not having anywhere else to go. The exclusion of parts. That that should be a choice not an exclusion. But I do not feel that is too bad. For you may choose not knowing anything else.

Yes, I too have run away many times, and I have found no comfort, no peace anywhere else. It is a good thing that we do not have anywhere else to go. I would not want to be living where the words of eternal life are not to be found.

I thank God that you too have found and enjoy abiding in the words of Eternal Life.

God bless you Ibo.

Do you know, Little One, what amazes me most in this story is that 5000 people were fed by Jesus Christ with His Miracle, and then He started talking on eating His Flesh and drinking His Blood, which was something completely forbidden in Judaism, everybody fled, for they thought the Man was nuts. But He was the Man Who made the miracle.

I do not blame them. I mean it is quite hard to be called to be a cannibal! But Jesus did not explain anything s you said! It is tough! You must trust somebody who is seemingly saying crazy an absurd things. the apostles were at a loss. But Jesus did not pity them. Instead he provoked. He said that they were free to go too. It was a very strong test to them. And they stuck to him, not understanding where they were heading for.

For me, Little One, this is true love. Logic, Intelligence, reason tell you this is stupid and your heart and your will tell you I want This Person no-matter-what even if I do not understand anything that is going on.

That is, Little One, this is one of my favorite passages.

:thumbsup:

Ibo,

Love is an amazing thing. It will allow you to do some crazy things that you would not do without it. Love is what held Jesus to the Cross on that day 2000 years ago.

Love can overlook many things that the mind wants or thinks it needs to have. Love looks deeper, and I am sure it is what prompted St. Peter to say what He did.

Love hangs on despite how things may look. I am thinking perhaps that you cannot have love without Faith and Hope too. I have always wondered why the three are grouped together, I know that the three theological virtures are infused in us at baptism, but I also wondered if there was another reason they were together.

Humility is what grounds or is the foundation of love. It took humility for St. Peter to acknowledge the truth, “Master to whom shall we go, you have the words of eternal life.” Humiliy is acknowlegeing the truth, which is Love.

Love. Divine Love. How blessed we are.

Thanks for sharing this. This was the last post I read before going to bed. Thanks for making my morning already.

God bless.

For personal trauma, Little One, I cannot talk much about Love. But it was nice to read (first thing if the morning) you talk about it.Maybe one day I will learn speak like you do.

:thumbsup:

I hope and pray that I can do as I speak, now there’s the hard part. :smiley:

Wow! That was awesome. Thank you for sharing!

Yes! Amazing and uplifting! Thank you!

I am thankful that it was a blessing to you guys.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.