Homily Help

Can anyone recommend a good commentary for a deacon? I’m looking for something that will help him with his homilies. He preaches a couple of times a month.

Don’t get me wrong. His homilies are fantastic! But he spends a lot of time researching online and in other places, so I’m looking for something that will help cut his research time,

Any advice or suggestions?

Oh, and if anyone can suggest some books on or by Pope St. Gregory the Great, that’d be a big help, too. I need it for a birthday present.

Thanks.

Scout :tiphat:

There are many resources out there is assist in developing a homily. Below are some suggestions that were recommended to us when we were in formation. I’ve found them useful in my preaching.

[LIST]
*]The New Jerome Biblical Commentary
*]Collegeville Bible Commentary - New Testament
*]Collegeville Bible Commentary - Old Testament
*]Preaching Through the Christian Year: Year A: A Comprehensive Commentary on the Lectionary
*]Preaching Through the Christian Year: Year B: A Comprehensive Commentary on the Lectionary
*]Preaching Through the Christian Year: Year C: A Comprehensive Commentary on the Lectionary
[/LIST]

The New Jerome commentary is the classic one most people would recommend. However, it really is more of an aid to understand the meaning of the text. The other books on the list are very useful in helping to develop ideas on how to convey the message of how to apply the reading to our lives today…which is the real challenge.

God Bless,

Deacon Dave

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.