Homily on Good Friday?

I went to the Good Friday service last night for the first time. I am aware that this is not technically a “mass” and the Eucharist is saved from Thursday. I was a bit surprised that there was a homily after the readings. Should it be called a “homily” if it’s not during mass? The program we were given said “homily,” and it was, for all intents and purposes.

Every time we hear the Word of God proclaimed from the altar there should be a homily.

This is because the Word is always alive and active in our lives and calls us to response, to see, judge and act in our lives. Therefore, the priest or deacon as Ministers of the Word have a duty to give a homily.

Thanks! Guess that makes sense :slight_smile:

1. The readings are to be read in their entirety. The responsorial psalm and the chant before the Gospel are to be sung in the usual manner. The narrative of the Lord's passion according to John is sung or read in the way prescribed for the previous Sunday (cf. n. 33). After the reading of the passion a homily should be given, at the end of which the faithful may be invited to spend a short time in meditation.[69]

From Paschalis Sollemnitatis

I am glad someone answered this. We had a homily that was very good. I would never have thought it would be otherwise.

Off topic warning! I loved the petitions. They were chanted, then we knelt and prayed.Kind of wish we did that all the time.

[quote="lllj, post:1, topic:320914"]
I went to the Good Friday service last night for the first time. I am aware that this is not technically a "mass" and the Eucharist is saved from Thursday. I was a bit surprised that there was a homily after the readings. Should it be called a "homily" if it's not during mass? The program we were given said "homily," and it was, for all intents and purposes.

[/quote]

It was a homily because it was a Liturgy of the Word, and a homily is an integral part of the Liturgy of the Word.

A Mass is considered a Mass,* because, as you know, the Eucharist is consecrated in it. This takes place in the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The homily takes place in the Liturgy of the Word. A homily can even occur during the Liturgy of the Hours, which is only Scriptural readings with no Eucharist. A homily can occur during Eucharistic Adoration, which can include Scriptural readings, hymns, and prayers, or just silence.

*We derive the word Mass from the dismissal, which in Latin says, "ite, missa est", which may be heard at other liturgies, but we have come to associate the term Mass only with the liturgy which includes consecration, and mostly in the West. In the East, the Eucharistic liturgy is called "Divine Liturgy".

Thanks guys! When I had searched this before posting, I came up with threads like this
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=105928
in which a few people were saying that since it's not a mass, it was by definition not a homily, which had me further confused.

Thanks for clearing that up.

[quote="lllj, post:8, topic:320914"]
Thanks guys! When I had searched this before posting, I came up with threads like this
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=105928
in which a few people were saying that since it's not a mass, it was by definition not a homily, which had me further confused.

Thanks for clearing that up.

[/quote]

Hehe - don't believe everything you read on the internet:p

Though we're right this time ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.