Homo- Sexuality

Not true. There is no independent scientific study that supports this conclusion.

7 Likes

But how do I know it’s not a choice in that how do I know they did not make choices that led them to have this aberrant desire, which itself may not be a choice, but rather a consequence of other choices? When people say it’s not a choice they typically intend the hearer to understand that they were “born that way,” or, in other words, that it is genetic.

Define ‘independent scientific study’.

I was born with cataracts. It was not genetic. It was not a choice. My mother contracted an illness while pregnant and it was a side effect.

“Born that way” =/= genetic.

2 Likes

Peer-reviewed published study by a researcher working in an institution who does not have a political or ideological bias one way or another. The so-called “landmark study” by Walter Schumm does not qualify because Schumm has been vocally opposed to homosexuality since the 1980s.

2 Likes

I can know if you’re born with cataracts. I can’t know if you’re born attracted to the same sex or if something you or another did caused it.

That wasn’t your point. You were suggesting if they were born with it, there had to be a genetic link. That is not the case. There are lots of things that are not genetic but are an inalienable part of who we are and not “choice”.

2 Likes

THANK YOU FOR YOUR Faithful devotion and concern over your eternal soul. What you do is NOT easy especially in today’s over sexualized environment. . You stay JUST THE WAY YOU ARE and please God and don’t worry about pleasing yourself (temporarily) or anybody else. Your reward in Heaven will be worth much more than any you could ever be granted here on Earth.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. You will all be in my prayers tonight.

Thank you all for your reply and condolences. Greatly appreciated.
God bless you all.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss, looks like many have answered your questions you laid out. I want say I suffer from mental illness myself. I do not have same sex attraction but 5 years ago I had a depressive episode that almost took my life.
I just want to say depression is more complicated than a single reason for it. It’s a sickness in and of itself. I don’t mean to down play the persecution of homosexuals, I just want to to illuminate her self perception at the time of her suicide. I’ve shared what I’m about to share with a friend who also survived a depressive episode and he felt like it was accurate to his experience.
When you are in a depressive episode it’s more than a negative belief or thought about yourself you begin to live in a reality where you are evil, you are worthless, you are incapable, you are hopeless, you are beyond reconciliation and you are beyond repair, I am here to tell you this is not the one true reality, but for one with depression these things become indistinguishable from truth.
And if the depression remains untreated the depressed no longer sees value to their life and kill themselves thus alleviating loved ones of the burden they have perceived themselves to be.
Depression is an illness, one that I’ve been treating for 5 years with medication, therapy, psych visits, and paying very close attention to self care areas including prayer and eating habits.
God bless.

6 Likes

SO VERY TRUE! It is not something that can be shaken off. Medical/mental help must be sought as well as DEEP PRAYER with a trusted spiritual advisor.

1 Like

Case-Western Reserve University
School of Law, Faculty Publications
“No Difference? An Analysis of Same Sex Parenting.”

Correct. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a link between homosexuality and exposure of the embryo to high level of hormones or to specific antibodies interfering with the developmental process.

You are blessed in that you recognize the importance of prayer…many don’t.

Yes, it is true!!

Yes absolutely. I’m so sorry for what you and your family are going through. I’m sorry that your niece felt that way.

I think 3. Could use some conversation. I don’t like the way you put it… “Not to judge”. Well I mean yes Jesus is the final judge. I am nobody to say who someone is except a child of God. However I can’t look at a person and think they should stop doing X, Y or Z. Especially when such things are against church teaching.

And while I think that wishing they stop with their sinful actions is a form of love, I think it takes a long history of accompaniment before the topic can be meaningfully discussed. My best friend and I have often discussed his desire to live with his girlfriend before marriage. And while I disagree, it doesn’t define our relationship. I hardly even think about it in fact.

It’s sad to me that when it comes to gay and lesbian Catholics we don’t have the same attitude. They struggle like everyone else. And they need to know they belong. But telling them they belong doesn’t make it true. Being there for them and with them does. And praying for them to see the church’s way all along doesn’t make you a judge. It makes you a friend.

If your son or daughter comes to you and announces that he or she has homosexual tendencies, you should definitely love them unconditionally. Same thing if your grown son is sexually attracted to children or is a convicted pedophile. Sexuality is intimately linked to the creation of a new man or woman, thus it has a sacred purpose that should be confined within the bond of Holy Matrimony. Thus to any misuse of sexuality is a serious sin. If one of your loved ones is actively living a sinful lifestyle, one has to love them nonetheless, but you must also clearly and charitably remind them what Jesus said when He began teaching about the Kingdom of God, that is to repent of wicked ways and to and believe in the gospel. Unconditional love includes being concerned for the souls of people After all, it does no one any good if we confirm someone on their sin—-Not only is their soul in peril, but then our eternal soul will be held responsible for the loss of the sinner’s soul. As God explains in the Bible:

“When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.”-Ezequel 3:18-19

2 Likes

There’s no reason to be playing word games.

3 Likes

For the niece of @Fanti:

Eternal Father, we offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity, of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.