‘Homosexism’ and nudity in Pride parade target of TDSB trustee’s Twitter rant

Maybe it is not only an LGBT thing but for sure it is an LGBT thing.

http://gaytravel.about.com/od/previewsofpridefestivals/qt/Folsom-Street-Fair.htm

http://www.folsomstreetfair.com/images/fsf_posters/FSF2007_poster_print_ns_800px.jpg

This whole thing reminds me of a story from The Onion I read ages ago:

Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA–The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade.

“I’d always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth,” said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing techno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. “Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong.”

Emphasis mine.

Do you disagree that many of the homosexual parades are hedonistic?

In the LGBT community it seems to mostly be the domain of bears which are a subcommunity within the gay (male) community and partaken by some bisexual men. It isn’t a widespread thing within the LGBT community.

My experience from the one in San Francisco is that most was rather boring and tame.

How unfortunate. I’m sure that many sexual abuse survivors and the like probably do not share the Canadian courts’ point of view. I know at least one person who had flashbacks of her rape trigger when a person at the public library I worked for at the time flashed her before leaving the building.

I guess one can become inured to it after a while.

I mean I’ve seen more salacious stuff on prime time television

Especially Super Bowl Half Time.

Like most women I don’t watch or care that much about American football.

Keep this in mind:

In 1991, Gwen Jacob of Guelph, Ontario, was found guilty of one count of committing an indecent act (for taking off her top in 36ºC weather) and fined $75. During her court case, she argued that women’s breasts are just fat tissue, not unlike men’s.

But in his ruling, the judge said a woman’s breast is “part of the female body that is sexually stimulating to men both by sight and touch,” and should not be uncovered in public.

In 1996, the Ontario Court of Appeal overturned Jacob’s conviction, saying “there was nothing degrading or dehumanizing in what the appellant did. The scope of her activity was limited and was entirely non-commercial. No one who was offended was forced to continue looking at her.”

Moreover, the court ruled that Jacob did not exceed “the community standard of tolerance when all of the relevant circumstances are taken into account.”
The court did not rule on the constitutionality of the issue, though Jacob’s lawyer had argued that her client had the same constitutional right to go topless as men did.
cbc.ca/news/canada/women-s-topless-court-victory-20-years-later-1.1026403

Since then women in two other provinces have been acquitted of similar charges.

It’s been almost 18 years since the case was overturned and we’ve seen no great horde of bare breasted women running around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.