Homosexual and women priests

What are you guys thoughts on such things?

The Catholic Church can NEVER have “priestesses”. The Church INFALLIBLY teaches that. Its a matter of Faith. There are good doctrinal reasons for the Churchs ban; and not only because our Lord chose men only.
A candidate for the priesthood has to be an adult male. Full stop!
Among other things, the Church is the Bride of Christ. The priest takes the part of Christ, the Bridegroom. A woman just can`t do that.

Homosexual men have to be prevented from entering the priesthood. The ones already there have to be monitored. For a start, their advice on morality in the Confessional and elsewhere could be suspect.
The Church needs men who are real men with a healthy heterosexual orientation, not misfits who have a disordered sexual orientation!

Whether you have female priests is, of course, a matter for your Church. But there is quite a pressure group in the UK pushing for it. They’re called, “Women can be priests”, website www.womenpriests.org. One of their most prominent supporters is Mary McAleese, President of Ireland, a most impressive woman whom I’ve had the privilege of meeting. Incidentally she caused quite a stir a few years back by taking communion at a Church of Ireland Cathedral.

The issue of women priests caused great contoversy in the Church of England, and although it hasn’t disappeared, we seem to have overcome it. My own view is that they are of great benefit to our church. I was interested to see in the list of ordinations to the priesthood in this week’s Church Times, how many were women. In our diocese they were a clear majority.

Cardinal Hume once said that being homosexual is not a sin, but homosexual practice is. I don’t know what you think about that? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think that your church monitors the sexual orientation of ordinands. I was under the impression that the only people who were liable to be banned were “over the top”, openly gay types (even if non-practicing). I would agree that their advice could be suspect.

Oh yes, because the heterosexual priests are immaculate :rolleyes:

In other words, homosexuals are not real men.

It’s simply sickening.

I fully accept and agree with Scripture and the Church on these 2 issues.

What is the teaching of your church about ordaining (non-practicing) homosexuals?

I just feel there is a need of women priests.What’s there pt.?Are they implying the Church is out of date,that we can’t follow what the Church has practiced for many decades?What’s wrong with women fulfilling their own normal responsibilities,like raising and caring for children?Men certainly can’t fill that.Im not going to dispute his claim since he is a cardimal but I don’t have to agree with it.I think homosexuality is a sin.One may be persuaded through various means from early childhood(conditioning)to identify with the opposite sex but its an immoral aversion which one has to work on to overcome.(maybe with the help of psychiatrists,ect.)I don’t think(at least in the past)that a seminarian was ever asked whether he had a inclination towards homosexuality.

If the quoted post is supposed to be a joke, it’s a very un-funny one.

The Church has been ordaining homosexuals since day one and will continue to do so. In fact, a religious vocation has traditionally been recommended for consideration by men with a homosexual orientation, provided, obviously, that they have ‘felt the call’ and are in other respects qualified.

As another poster remarked, I don’t think that a candidate for the priesthood would even be asked that question, therefore it’s hard to determine the percentage of priests who are homosexual, I have seen the figure of around 40% suggested, but that is mostly speculation.

And as a purely practical matter, since the Church is starving for priests now, and unwilling to ordain women, whence would they come if homosexual men were barred?

I watched this documentary over Lent that spoke briefly of the prevalence of ordained women in the ancient church. I think it was call Christianity, the First 2000 Years, but don’t quote me on that.

As for homosexual priests, a few years ago I read a study that correlated the more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be homosexual - something about how the mother becomes more equipped to handle male hormones in the womb the more males she’s birthed. With that said, can that explain the tradition in the Middle Ages that the youngest son went into the priesthood?

Of course, my thoughts are just speculation - mostly.

There were NO “priestesses” in the ancient Church. Where Baptism by immersion was employed, the person being Baptised was completely unclad; so, to avoid any problems when women were Baptised, deaconesses were used. That was it!

There were “priestesses” in the gnostic cults; but those cults were not Christian, in spite of what “Roman Catholic Womenpriests” or any other apostate group or “documentary” will try to tell you.

Priesthood is MALE ONLY: always has been, and always will be.

The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod does not ordain women, nor do we ordain openly practicing homosexual men.

Jon

Are you putting words into my mouth? i didn`t say that!

In other words, homosexuals are not real men.

It’s simply sickening.

A disordered orientation is NOT normal.
If youre sickened, the problem may lie with you.....youre exaggerating what i was trying to convey.

One day, i`ll learn how to multiple quote…

Question for Catholics, with the OP’s indulgence: If an ordained Catholic priest is oriented to same-gender attraction, are his sacraments valid?

Jon

Don’t shoot the messenger, Fink. I’m simply passing on information as it was relayed to me and trying my best not to editorialize in the meantime. I think it’s clear where you stand on the topic. :wink:

By what possible stretch of the imagination would they be INvalid?

You can rest assured that the "quoted post’ is not supposed to be a joke: it`s deadly serious.

The Church has been ordaining homosexuals since day one and will continue to do so.

Youre getting a bit behind the times. Theres a growing move to prevent SSA men from getting into seminaries. The Good Shepherd Seminary in Sydney, Australia, is an example. A psychologist (or a psychiatrist?) is employed to try to stop any from slipping through.

In fact, a religious vocation has traditionally been recommended for consideration by men with a homosexual orientation, provided, obviously, that they have ‘felt the call’ and are in other respects qualified

Not on, at least, not any more. As already said, men with a normal, healthy HETEROSEXUAL orientation are the ones required.

As another poster remarked, I don’t think that a candidate for the priesthood would even be asked that question…

Again: you`re starting to be dated. In this country, at least, good Bishops have become deadly serious.

And as a purely practical matter, since the Church is starving for priests now, and unwilling to ordain women, whence would they come if homosexual men were barred?

The Church doesnt want "Feminaries". i didnt make that name up! Neither did i make up the name: “The Pink Palace”, or “The Lavender Mafia”!

Speaking of “TLM”, the so-called “gay” network in the priesthood is a close-knit club.
The members of this club do two things:
1.They support each other to the hilt.
2.They BLACKMAIL each other. By that, i mean that if one of their number manages to get to a position of influence, hes obliged to do what he can for the others. If he doesnt; theyll blow his cover. Theres no real loyality, except for a self-serving type.

ive had a number of conversations with a person (a lady) who has had a lot to do with "Courage", the tactics used by SSA men to dodge the radar, and the counter-tactics employed by the seminary. Its a serious business. By the way, this applies to celibate SSA men, as well as practising ones.

If anyone here doesnt like any of that: go off and do some research. i dont intend to offend anyone: but the Truth is the Truth. Call a spade a spade, and be done with it!

PS
Are you suggesting that the Church could have “priestesses” if she really wanted to?

Agreed!!

Jon

Well good on your protestant Church. :thumbsup:

Yay! The words I seldom seem to find to explain myself.

And blessings to you on your upcoming Confirmation. May you be blessed in word and sacrament. :thumbsup:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.